Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

"the bloop"

evil_mika

An orcastra? :P

:rofl::rofl::lol::P:ph34r::rofl: , funny, oww all that laughing hurt my spleen

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• frogfish

• The Carnivore

• thecreeper

• ~Onyx~

I'm thinking maybe a mermaid was sitting on a rock playing her lyre and drew not just an orcastra but also drew in a pod of blue whales who began singing......causing a bloop that will probably never be heard again. :huh:

I still say that the fact that this sound hasn't been heard since the summer of 1997 should be the "be-all and end-all" of signs that this was NOT a biological.

I still say that the fact that this sound hasn't been heard since the summer of 1997 should be the "be-all and end-all" of signs that this was NOT a biological.

I was wondering if it could be possible that it was a little bit of both? Example: Whale makes sound at the exact moment that some kind of shift of the ocean floor occurs, noises combine or noise from whale bounces off noise from shift then hitting sonar and registering as a much larger noise.

Does anyone know what I am talking about? Do I even know what I am talking about? :wacko:

Is it possible?

noise from whale bounces off noise from shift then hitting sonar and registering as a much larger noise.

Why would it have to bounce off the seabed? Noises in the ocean are always ongoing. Geological is the best answer for this. Case Closed.

Don't worry about coldethyl, she just likes to torment in her spare time :)

Me? Never. I'm like an :innocent: .

I was wondering if it could be possible that it was a little bit of both? Example: Whale makes sound at the exact moment that some kind of shift of the ocean floor occurs, noises combine or noise from whale bounces off noise from shift then hitting sonar and registering as a much larger noise.

Does anyone know what I am talking about? Do I even know what I am talking about? :wacko:

Is it possible?

I would think that all of the variables that would have to come together to make that theory possible would be close to astronomical(if such a merging of sounds were even possible), so I would have to say that...while not completely and utterly impossible....it would be highly improbable, and again, considering the length of time since it was last encountered, I would have to consider it a seismic event of some sort which released a large pocket of air or gas......has anyone stopped to consider the theory that was on the Discovery channel not to long ago about abnormally large bubbles being the cause for some of the more mysterious ship-disasters and sinkings that have occured in which no distress-signal was sent and no trace of wreckage was found?

^^^I'd hate for "she was killed by a giant bubble" to be a part of my eulogy.

:rofl:

It's just a blue whale...after a dose of chilli beans....

Well, that theory just stinks! :lol:

Well, that theory just stinks! :lol:

I am sorry but that was lame. in my opinion the noise was made by some kind of weapon :ph34r:

I am sorry but that was lame

Sorry that you lack a sense of humor...

Too bad it actually makes more sense than any of your 'ideas'.

Yes, fish can make quite audible noises...There was a whole arguement earlier in this thread over the sounds produced by Black Drum.

K, I must have missed that part.

Does anybody know where this recording was taken? It might narrow the field a bit. I mean it could be a smaller thing fairly close or a really big thing far away, right?

when i heard it they based it on the megalodon shark.... which was bigger than a whale infact they think it ate whales but they have supposed of died out about 1.6 million years ago

K, I must have missed that part.

Does anybody know where this recording was taken? It might narrow the field a bit. I mean it could be a smaller thing fairly close or a really big thing far away, right?

The volume of the sound isn't important, it's the fact that the sound had an extremely low frequency; such sounds can usually only be created by large objects.

I am sorry but that was lame. in my opinion the noise was made by some kind of weapon :ph34r:

Hurrah. Conspiracy theories. And they're going to test a huge weapon miles down because...WHY?

K. Mayhap I'm asking a dumb question, but why are low frequencies associated with large objects/animals? Do they need more room to grow?

A 30 lb Black Drum can make sounds that rumble in homes over a mile away from water. Their swim bladder takes up over 1/3 of their body.

It DOES not have to be a large animal.

I'm still waiting for someone to counter...

If you want a low frequency with high volume, you need a large source. It's a simple matter of physics. You proved to yourself you need a large animal when you said it takes a 30 lb fish to be heard a mile away. Frankly, i don't quite believe that i could hear a drumming noise and find out a neighbor a mile away has a 30 lb fish that's causing it, but i'm ignoring that.

Still, pretending that sound is a direct relationship and not logarithmic like it is, and assuming the two buoys that picked up this sound where equal distance from the source, that's 30 lb x 2500 miles, so about a 75,000 lb fish. In my book, that's a pretty big fish since a whale shark is only 41,300 lbs. Now add on to that the fact that in reality sound doesn't behave nicely and you need much more source for a little more sound as you go along on the scale, and you should realize you need a very large source for the bloop. This is why some people have subwoofers in their cars that you can hear down the road, and at a major concert with hundreds of times the surface area on their subwoofers aren't heard from hundreds of miles away. Subwoofers also primarily use the ground for transmission of their sound, which is why it sounds better to have a subwoofer on your floor rather than on your bookshelf, and the ground is an even better transmission media than water.

I don't have a clue what this sound was. If it was a whale, it would've had to be seen by now. Whales have to come up for air and i'm pretty sure if someone saw a whale the size of the Galapagos Islands pop out of the water, we would've heard about it by now. It can't be a 2 - 3 foot critter that drifted close to the buoy because the other buoys were hearing it too. Unfortunately i'm not an accoustics expert past the physics aspect, i can't listen to a sound and know what it comes from. I personally think that if it was biological in any way, it would've happened more than just in the summer of '97. Personally i think it sounds mechanical, and could've been some sort of submarine experiment. Ultra Low Frequency (ULF) was experimented with for awhile, because it could be used for disorienting people and controlling situations without as much injury/death. Perhaps someone, even the US, was doing experiments with new ULF generators, and once they had their experimental data, moved on to the next phase.

But i just found out about this "bloop" and found this place on a google search. Wanted to hopefully clear up the sound dispute.

Frankly, i don't quite believe that i could hear a drumming noise and find out a neighbor a mile away has a 30 lb fish that's causing it, but i'm ignoring that.

Happened in Punta Gorda. Sorry, but mother nature is amazing. The fish use their swim bladders to create noises to attract mates from miles away.