Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Perfume smell in our living room

rob lester

Hi , I am usually the "skeptic" here , but not so much with "ghosts".We recentlly ( 2months ago ) re-did back yard , and inside of house including painting.In our living room we put in a hutch my best friends gave me , in that hutch my wife put a picture of her grandmother in her Navy Uniform ( she passed away 5 years ago at 84 ).I noticed the following sunday night ( my dogs woke me up barking like someone was at the door ) a strong perfume smell.I really did not take note of it , I was very tired and went back to bed.Now , this was almost 2 months ago.Anyone can come into my house , even now and smell the perfume ( my wife says it smells like cologne to her ).The strange thing is it "moves" around in room.I mean it stays in 1 small area ,and moves around in seconds.It is constantly there , even now.I wear no cologne or anything like that , and my wife hates perfume.It is just us 2 in the house ( house is 9 years ol , we bought it before built)..We have a Wolf and 2 dogs , none of them wear perfume either :) ....Anyway , my best friends wife " see's ghosts" and is somewhat of a " ghost whisperer"..She has had this " gift " since before the show ever came out.She has told me what it is.I would like to see what people here think/say what is causing this smell.I do not care if it go's away , it smells good.But I can say , this is the first time I am experiencing something in the "paranormal" world.I will follow up with what my friends wife said , and some pretty good proof to me she has some sort of knowledge after I see some responses to this.....

Thanks , Rob

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• rob lester

• Moondoggy

• Hazzard

• iftakharr rasheed awan

Hi , I am usually the "skeptic" here , but not so much with "ghosts".We recentlly ( 2months ago ) re-did back yard , and inside of house including painting.In our living room we put in a hutch my best friends gave me , in that hutch my wife put a picture of her grandmother in her Navy Uniform ( she passed away 5 years ago at 84 ).I noticed the following sunday night ( my dogs woke me up barking like someone was at the door ) a strong perfume smell.I really did not take note of it , I was very tired and went back to bed.Now , this was almost 2 months ago.Anyone can come into my house , even now and smell the perfume ( my wife says it smells like cologne to her ).The strange thing is it "moves" around in room.I mean it stays in 1 small area ,and moves around in seconds.It is constantly there , even now.I wear no cologne or anything like that , and my wife hates perfume.It is just us 2 in the house ( house is 9 years ol , we bought it before built)..We have a Wolf and 2 dogs , none of them wear perfume either :) ....Anyway , my best friends wife " see's ghosts" and is somewhat of a " ghost whisperer"..She has had this " gift " since before the show ever came out.She has told me what it is.I would like to see what people here think/say what is causing this smell.I do not care if it go's away , it smells good.But I can say , this is the first time I am experiencing something in the "paranormal" world.I will follow up with what my friends wife said , and some pretty good proof to me she has some sort of knowledge after I see some responses to this.....

Thanks , Rob

Hi Rob

It sounds like you suspect that the perfume smell may be connected to y;our grandmother. I don't have any knowlege to help you explain things, but I'll share some of my own experiences. Backround: I think there is some kind of paranormal something(s) iin my house. Every so often I smell perfume in the house. It seems to exist in small invisible clouds. I've forgotten most of the other smells, but haven't had any bad smells, thank heavens. About 2 weeks ago I was watching TV in the evening, and I smelled roast beef cooking in the oven. It lasted several hours, and would have been so delicous if only it were real.

Last night was Thanksgiving. There was just 3 of us for dinner at my mom's, and she made grilled beef tenderloin, which was fine - but I do love a feast of turkey :yes:. While I was going to sleep, I kept smelling a food smell. Finally I figured out what it was: A frozen turkey TV dinner, with an apple desert!!! I haven't eaten this in years.

It could not have come from outside the house.

I told my boyfriend about it, and today he bought me that dinner (kind of strange). It was, of course, the same smell.

Hi , I am usually the "skeptic" here , but not so much with "ghosts"

YaY a converter :lol: heheh

I had a manifested spirit visit this morning whilst I was knee deep in my books studying, there was a nice smell with it... it just came and went while passing through. This isn't anything unusual to me. But yeah just take it as it comes, that's all you can do. It doesn't have to mean anything and certainly doesn't have to mean anything bad :)

Is the area it most often is noticed carpeted?

Carpeted?...Well , the entire house is :) ...No , no one spilled anything , as I said the smell moves around , right now it is at bottom of stairs at entrance to living room.it will move...As I said ,my friends wife told me what it supposedly is , I am waiting to see if someone with skills says the same thing...It is actually very impressive considering she knows nothing about my wifes family....

i have read somewhere and seen in documentaries etc that ghosts/spirits do/can emite smells.

I kind of believe the theory that ghosts are actually from a riff in time. For example, your time, in your place, is actually crossing over a time where 'the perfume wearing person's' time is, and there is a 'riff' in time that blends their time with your time, so you notice/sense/smell/see things from the 'other' time. Hope that makes sense?

I think that there has been a LIVING woman/man it da house that you dont know about. A ghost is the least probable explanation.

Edited by hazzard

are you sure that your wife didnt buy a new glade plug in fragrance and didnt tell you about it. Those things release a smell every 10 minutes! :w00t:

I think that there has been a LIVING woman/man it da house that you dont know about. A ghost is the least probable explanation.

1 Wolf and 2 BIG dogs in our house.The wolf would hide if someone came in , but Alaska our 130 lb'er would tear him/her to shreds....That is if they had the balls to come in with the barking..Dogs are in house when we wre not home...

are you sure that your wife didnt buy a new glade plug in fragrance and didnt tell you about it. Those things release a smell every 10 minutes! :w00t:

Wife going through same situation as I am.We both smell it.Believe me as a "skeptic" I toar the room apart looking for anything , and obviously the first thing I looked for was any scented plug-ins/air fresheners...Kind of cool , we won't ever need to buy one of those as long as this smell sticks around , it was there as I went to get coffee 10 minutes ago..As I said if anyone comes close to what my wife says it is , and how to make it go away I will post her comments to me...And no ,it is not sage.holy water/ask them to leave...She also said that I saw " her" before in the house....

A similar situation happened to my sister, the event occured over a few months. They did not think they spilled anything either, but someone did. The reason I asked about carpet is that they act like a sponge, especially the padding. Smells can be dormant and then get kicked up as you walk around, or fluctuation in temperature or humidity occur. They replaced the carpet and the anomaly ceased.

It is good to try to rule out things before you jump to paranormal causes. But if you do have a spook at least it smells good.

Believe me as a "skeptic" I toar the room apart looking for anything ,

So as a skeptic, you now seriously consider that the smell comes FROM A GHOST!!? :rolleyes:

Edited by hazzard

I have experienced this on occasion too but a few years ago I was at a family gathering and my mother-in-law, who scoffs and ridicules anything paranormal said that on the day of her mother's funeral, she and all of her sisters smelled roses everywhere in her (my in-laws) house. Her sisters were sitting there in the room at the party with us as my mother-in-law was talking about this where they were all nodding their heads and saying "yes, it's true". What's interesting about this story is that their mother was not an easy person to get along with and all of her daughters had their own 'issues' with her .... in short, even though they loved her, they didn't especially like her or get along with her. Nevertheless, on the day of this woman's funeral, they were smelling roses of all things where they had no doubt that it was their own mother letting them know that she was still around. Lol, but some were NOT too crazy about that possibility for reasons stated above. :hmm:

So as a skeptic, you now seriously consider that the smell comes FROM A GHOST!!? :rolleyes:

Hazzard , where did I say anywhere that I believe it is a Ghost?....Calm down , relax , take a few minutes and read again.....I do not know what it is yet.Please read and take in what you read so i will not halve to explain what I allready posted....Basically if someone posts what my friends wife told me , I just may believe it is a "ghost"...Right now , I have no fricken clue what is making this smell , but I do know it is nothing anyone posted so far.Nothing spilled , no air fresheners , no one in house ever , not in one spot it moves around the room...I have seen people here post they have " gifts" , I am hoping one of these people come up with the story I have allready to a "t"....

I agree with you and can understand your frustration. You have ruled out some of things suggested. I would see if their is a "professional" paranormal investigator that is in your area. They often do this "gratis". I would be careful looking for someone with "gifts". For each one who gives you "information", the next one will be different and so on. TAPS has many affiliates through out the states and they approach the investigation differently than many of the "mediums". Give it a try.

I agree with you and can understand your frustration. You have ruled out some of things suggested. I would see if their is a "professional" paranormal investigator that is in your area. They often do this "gratis". I would be careful looking for someone with "gifts". For each one who gives you "information", the next one will be different and so on. TAPS has many affiliates through out the states and they approach the investigation differently than many of the "mediums". Give it a try.

Thanks for the input :) ...This is really not concerning myself or my wife enough to call any investigators.Unless the roof falls in , or any other strutural damage I can live with it.It is still here by the way :)

Edited by rob lester

Rob, I doubt this will be very helpful, but your "situation" reminds me of old stories, mostly christian myths, that describe how the appearance of angels or saints was often accompanied by the scent of flowers, often lillies. Although I'm not a Christian, I always liked those stories. Maybe what was described as angels or guardian angels are indeed benevolent spirit entities, deceased or otherwise. Maybe you two (five, if you count the canines) got a good spirit watching over you... ;)

• 11 years later...

We are experiencing this 2 our house is filled with strange ITER type strong smell on timing of 8:20 to 11:00 Am it so strong that it hurts my and my family head

and after some times it goes away or soo but let me clear this it not a Ghost or Spook it is Djjin but clean ones if they were bad ones they would have hurt my family but as we are a very religious family i believe Djjin cannot and will not hurt us will move on we even saw a Djjin way back and it scared the hell out of my brothers wife :) there i a wall in the house we cannot hang any thing on it not even a basket ball net it fells down along with the nail in it.... so research DIjjins or jins it is a very common thing have experiences may activities in my office 2. ....................

Note i am not lying this is a true story and yes we are not  scared of any kind of Dijjins I believe in ONE GOD that is ALLAH

It's a great sign of something paranormal, especially if no one in the house wears that perfume. It's a fun thing to find, if you get lucky.