Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The Old Sunbury Lunatic Asylum

insecurity

Hello people,

I am a uni student at Victoria University in Sunbury, the campus happens to be the old Lunatic Asylum and I was just wondering if anyone had any ghost stories involving the place that they would like to share. I have lived on campus for 2 years and I have found a few places to be unbareably eerie but since I am feeling brave I am going to go take pictures now. (even though it is midnight.) Anyway it would really help if someone had some infomation concerning the place because I have to run a ghost tour next year for all the other student residents and I have only two stories so far...Plus one of my own....I'll tell you about it later. Its not supernatural, its just freaky and rather funny.

• Like 1

Hey I went out and took some late night photos (which are admittedly crappy thanks to my el-cheapo camera but I tried didn't I?) I wasn't trying to prove anything with these photos just that the campus is spooky however I am kinda stupid and deleted the really good shots of the front of the campus but I will take more tomorrow or the following day if any are interested.

Oh yeah this freaky/funny story;

One night (at about 11pm maybe a little later) I went for a cigarette and a stroll around campus. I got to the front of the buildings (the pic taken in daylight) and sat down and just stared up at it while smoking like a chimney. Anyway I started hearing 'Harry, Harry...' It was either a woman or a kid, I wrote it off as kids. It didn't happen for a few minutes but when it did again I just thought it was kids. Anyway after the forth or fifth time I realised it was closer and looked around only to see a figure emerging from the shadows (dramatic I know, but seriously it was about then that I nearly p***ed my pants with fright) I realised that it was just a sruffy looking only lady calling out 'Harry,' and asumed she must have been looking for her dog or cat because she was just wadling across the grass with a plastic bag in each hand. Anyway so as not to startle her I coughed but she didnt look my way so I called out, 'excuse me, are you okay?' but she just ignored me and kept on wandering along. I freaked the hell out and ran back to the residence. I told a few of the other residents and they all laughed at me except for one who said 'don't you know, when the asylum shut down thy just released the loonies into the world, some of them come back here sometimes because they get confused and don't know where else to go...'

post-12674-1164729649_thumb.jpg

post-12674-1164729836_thumb.jpg

post-12674-1164730075_thumb.jpg

Edited by insecurity

'don't you know, when the asylum shut down thy just released the loonies into the world, '

:no: Great attitude about the mentally ill there.

Wow. I have to agree...great attitude about the mentally ill. You do realize that like only 50 years ago we put people in to asylums for things like depression, post partum depression and even severe pms? Today we can deal with those all. Before...we didn't exactly have the resources. People had depression or even a nervous break down and we locked them away. Really, I'm glad to see our society has progressed to where it is now and even people like schizophrenics can be helped with medicine.

Wow. I have to agree...great attitude about the mentally ill. You do realize that like only 50 years ago we put people in to asylums for things like depression, post partum depression and even severe pms? Today we can deal with those all. Before...we didn't exactly have the resources. People had depression or even a nervous break down and we locked them away. Really, I'm glad to see our society has progressed to where it is now and even people like schizophrenics can be helped with medicine.

Things like depression were not generally recognized as a mental illness, unless there were outward emanations like harming someone or constant outbursts. Recognizing depression is still a fairly new concept, but it's treatment is gaining ground quickly, since many people have stopped fearing it so much.

I apparently had a great aunt who would give herself a "weekend or so" every so often at the local mental facility. We actually didn't lock people away as readily as one might think. Of course, Canadian laws were/are different, and it took more than just a spouse to certify someone.

Yes, there are many horror stories about what was formerly known as insane asylums. They are now known as Mental Health Hospitals or other more PC names. I worked on the Neuropsych ward with people who really had no hope at all of successful medical treatment. Many of them were alcohol induced psychoses and other dementias. Really, there is no safer place for them to be than under constant around the clock care. Indeed it is a bleak place to be.

I wholeheartedly agree with you that our mental health care system has improved so dramatically.

when the asylum shut down thy just released the loonies into the world, some of them come back here sometimes because they get confused and don't know where else to go...'

pathetic-

Imo, "loonies" are defined as those who think as the original poster... :wacko:

Edited by Sunny98

Speaking of mentally ill, was there a reason to post this same topic FOUR TIMES IN A ROW?

'Loonie' ring any bells? :tu:

okay that was a quote from the other resident, i never personally refered to them as 'loonies' and i know alot of women were actually put in the place for things such as post-natal depression, PMT and the like which, in the end, actually drove a lot of them insane :no: . Sorry if I offended people, that wasn't my intentions, nor was it my intention to seem ignorant about the mentally ill because I am not.

As for the multiple posts :blush: I aplogise, my computer is being weird and nothing was loading up and well I ended up with 4 of the same post.

P.S. could one of the mods please delete the other 3 repeated posts? I don't want to be filling up the forum with repeated crap.

okay that was a quote from the other resident, i never personally refered to them as 'loonies' and i know alot of women were actually put in the place for things such as post-natal depression, PMT and the like which, in the end, actually drove a lot of them insane :no: . Sorry if I offended people, that wasn't my intentions, nor was it my intention to seem ignorant about the mentally ill because I am not.

As for the multiple posts :blush: I aplogise, my computer is being weird and nothing was loading up and well I ended up with 4 of the same post.

I don't speak for everyone but some find comments such as that (highly) offensive regarding the mentally Ill. These comments are taken very very personal, whether mental illness effects that person indirectly, or directly... for example, my daughter has autism- She would have been considered a "loonie" if put such a place, therefore it's insulting..

Apology accepted here. :tu:

Edited by Sunny98

I wasn't offended at all, I twigged into the fact that you were quoting, but good of you to clarify that.

I think all in all former asylums are intriguing places. So much went on there - stories of abuse and horror, sickening rumors of patients' behaviors and consequences, gruesome tales of the medical treatment some of these patients endured. Not much was pleasant in most of these places. At least The Old Sunbury Asylum was turned into something useful. These old beautiful historical buildings shouldn't go to waste, IMO. They want to tear ours down and make apartments, like they did Woodlands (BC Canada). They even built over the Woodlands Cemetery, because it was disturbing the view of the new tenants. No respect there, but people are moving to correct that.

I think all in all former asylums are intriguing places. So much went on there - stories of abuse and horror, sickening rumors of patients' behaviors and consequences, gruesome tales of the medical treatment some of these patients endured.

I remember in Psychology courses we'd go over history of such places. It was completely horrifying. Makes me think of this movie, "house on haunted hill" (I believe)- Where this asylum's patients got revenge on it's Drs, and nurses who tortured them..and their spirits eventually got revenge on the Dr.s and nurses next of kin.... sort of stupid, but it had some pretty funky scenes...

'Loonie' ring any bells? :tu:

Now really the quadruple posting was a technical error and does not call for name calling and other such business :no: As always things get misinterpeted on the internet so let me clarify this for you, the sentence '...they just released the loonies into the world...' was actually a quote from another student and since I was telling a story I just repeated what was said rather than put my own words in. Now I apologise if I offended you, I myself do not agree with the terminology 'loonie' for the mentally ill. But honestly what does calling me names achieve? :hmm:

Hello people,

I am a uni student at Victoria University in Sunbury, the campus happens to be the old Lunatic Asylum and I was just wondering if anyone had any ghost stories involving the place that they would like to share. I have lived on campus for 2 years and I have found a few places to be unbareably eerie but since I am feeling brave I am going to go take pictures now. (even though it is midnight.) Anyway it would really help if someone had some infomation concerning the place because I have to run a ghost tour next year for all the other student residents and I have only two stories so far...Plus one of my own....I'll tell you about it later. Its not supernatural, its just freaky and rather funny.

I'm not sure if those that stayed there and were released would come back after their death. I'm sure it wasn't a great memory for them.

I'm not sure if those that stayed there and were released would come back after their death. I'm sure it wasn't a great memory for them.

Yeah you would think not but its just something the old residents love to say to scare the newbies at the start of each year; you know those pesky campus urban legends...

Yeah you would think not but its just something the old residents love to say to scare the newbies at the start of each year; you know those pesky campus urban legends...

Yeah, your a freshman huh? Looks like your keeping the tradition alive by spreading the word of the place. I would actually go to the archives and find the real history of the place. Find out what each wing was used for and go from there. I'm no expert by far, but getting the history of the place will put some truth behind the building.

Nah I'm not a freshman, the residence only opened at the begining of last year and I have been there since then. I know what most of the buildings were used for. Example; the building in which I now live was the old nurses wing. And legend has it that a few of the nurses committed suicide by jumping out of the third floor windows because of the atrocities they had witnessed. One nurse did actually commit suicide here so there is basic truth to the tale.

No! Do not worry about offending these monkeys. We still have cartoons called "looney tunes". Personally, I think our country has gone looney and weak with being so damned "PC". Not this man! I enjoyed your post and be warned, there are cry babies here who pick apart everything people say. Good post and good pics. You might want to get a good digital if you are going to embark on a little Ghost hunting. They cost more up fron but are cheaper in the long run.

• Like 2

The lunatic fringe would be a cool place to check out. Our state hospital is supposedly haunted and I would love to get a chance to stake it out. I wonder if a person is "mentally challenged" in life, then would they be that way as a ghost? I thought the Ghost on the movie the Shining was dyslexic or something with all that REDRUM business.

I wonder if a person is "mentally challenged" in life, then would they be that way as a ghost?

If if the answer is "yes," ya' think that goes for buffoons as well?--