Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Incredible Fish

RisenPrism

Didn't see that anyone else had posted this, so I thought I would, it's about this new species of tonguefish recently discovered- they live in water with a pH close to that of sulfuric acid- and that's not the strangest thing- check it out!Source

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RisenPrism

• dantheman2435

• frogfish

• Clobhair-cean

Didn't see that anyone else had posted this, so I thought I would, it's about this new species of tonguefish recently discovered- they live in water with a pH close to that of sulfuric acid- and that's not the strangest thing- check it out!Source

eww theyre gross :hmm:

Wow! Interesting! Just goes to show how little we really know about our own planet, huh?

apparently, small fish that make a habit of skipping across pools of molten sulfur don't start as much conversation as you would think.

apparently, small fish that make a habit of skipping across pools of molten sulfur don't start as much conversation as you would think

Because we already know many worms, crustaceans, and some fish that live in those places...Near geothermal vents.

Interesting nontheless.

Actually that is pretty damn amazing. I would think it makes the case for life on other planets stronger. With this kind of bio-diversity here on earth, the odds of something like this on another planet seem stronger.

that's what I was saying in chat the other day- with each discovery like this, scientists open their minds to possibilities for life they never thought of before.

• 2 weeks later...
eww theyre gross :hmm:

They may be gross to you, but to another tonguefish some of them are HOT!

Can't you just imagine some of their conversations ... "Hey Eddie, get a load of the slimy nodules on that one! Heh heh ... love to chase her around the sulfur vent a few times, eh?"

They are ugly little things, but amazing animals none the less. It is not surprising that something can survive those temperatures however, espciallz as there contact with the heat will be slightly buffered by the very cold ocean waters. I doubt many zoologist find this that suprising though as it is extremely rare to find nothing living in an area at all. Even in African volacanic lakes zou can find a species of tilapia living at about 45°c.