Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

lots of sharks

heathyr

The picture below was taken from Foxnews.com and it shows some of the stupidest people on the face of this planet. The pics show ta portion of the Florida coastline as taken from a helicopter. All of thse black dots on the right are sharks swimming towards the beach. The three people swimming on the upper left are, well..........dinner.

post-46682-1167433994_thumb.jpg

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mattshark

• frogfish

• m. Moe

• truethat

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The picture below was taken from Foxnews.com and it shows some of the stupidest people on the face of this planet. The pics show ta portion of the Florida coastline as taken from a helicopter. All of thse black dots on the right are sharks swimming towards the beach. The three people swimming on the upper left are, well..........dinner.

post-46682-1167433994_thumb.jpg

No, Sharks are not particually dangerous at all. Your more likely to be killed by a coconut than a shark, or a bee. No shark feeds on humans as part of its diet and there is no evidence that they react to human blood. In fact the evidence suggests that sharks do not even like the taste of human meat and most attacks are single bites from mistaken identity or defence.

Shark attacks are rare at the most. Sharks simply don't like the taste of human meat. And most sharks attacks are because the shark mistakes a surfer for a seal. So no, they are actually not that stupid for being around there.

And welcome to UM Mattshark. :tu:

Edited by MR_MOE

Shark attacks are rare at the most. Sharks simply don't like the taste of human meat. And most sharks attacks are because the shark mistakes a surfer for a seal. So no, they are actually not that stupid for being around there.
Exactly, this is why most attacks occur in murky water, when the shark has only electrosense to go upon. It can't tell that a person doesn't look like food, so it bites to find out what it is then lets go. This would be ok but for all the teeth.

Cheers Mr Moe :tu:

Edited by Mattshark

...I still wouldn't be in that water. :lol:

Welcome to UM Matt. :D

I would :D

Cheers mate linked-image

Hmm so its safe to swim with sharks :)

and disortedpandy, its good to see ur still alive :yes:^_^

People swim with sharks all the time, yet there are usually no more than 10 shark related fatalities a year. Very often less and many are provoked and you can have just as many fatalities from cetaceans. Sharks are large (some are actaully also very small) predators, but so are seals, sealions, dolphins, whales, Barracuda and Grouper. If you want animals that will eat you, you want polar bears, crocodiles and tigers. Not much else will.

Shoals or sharks like that are not uncommon. When fishing in the gulf coast, we have come upon schools of hammerheads like that not once...but twice. Even hooked into a nice 9 foot hammerhead, but lost it boatside.

Welcome a-board Matt! :clap:

I'll stick to the beach or in a boat, thanks. I know that humans aren't really part of their diet, but then knowing my luck...they'd be "cheating on their diet" on the day I decided to go for a swim. :passifier:

Shark attacks are unpredictable. So why do shark defenders always yell at people who are cautious around sharks and don't prefer to swim with them? Lions don't eat humans as part of their natural diet either and how many lion attacks happen every year? But you'd be hard pressed to find me climbing into a cage with a lion.

Shark attacks are unpredictable. So why do shark defenders always yell at people who are cautious around sharks and don't prefer to swim with them? Lions don't eat humans as part of their natural diet either and how many lion attacks happen every year? But you'd be hard pressed to find me climbing into a cage with a lion.

I'd tell people to be cautious around any large predator whether it is a shark, lion, dolphin or seal. It is stupid not to. People are attacked by large predators yes, however lion attacks are extremely rare like shark attacks. In fact large herbivores like Hippos, wildebeast etc are far more deadly and kill many more people each year.

I'd tell people to be cautious around any large predator whether it is a shark, lion, dolphin or seal. It is stupid not to. People are attacked by large predators yes, however lion attacks are extremely rare like shark attacks. In fact large herbivores like Hippos, wildebeast etc are far more deadly and kill many more people each year.

You should be cautious around any wild animal, except maybe penguins. :innocent:

Edited by MR_MOE

You should be cautious around any wild animal, except maybe penguins. :innocent:

I dunno, penguins could give a nasty nip too. If its got anything sharp basically means it can hurt you.

I remember seeing some incredibly stupid people placing their children next to Californian elephant seals a species which has no issues crushing their own offspring never minds someone else's. Education is no way near good enough. :no:

Education is no way near good enough.

How true...people want to show how "manly" they are by picking up rattlesnakes, and when they get tagged, they blame the snake.

How true...people want to show how "manly" they are by picking up rattlesnakes, and when they get tagged, they blame the snake.

Yeah, makes you wonder about some people doesn't it.

When I took a trip to Drumheller we pooked a rattlesnake with a stick, but thats just because I didn't believe it was a rattler. It's a good thing I didn't pick it up. :lol:

It's true.

linked-image

On a more serious note, it's a shame so many people are misinformed about sharks. In the last couple of years more research based on them in their natural habitat than has been done than ever before, our understanding of them is changing. They're amazing animals. Contrary to what most people seem to think, they're very intelligent, social too.

It's true.

linked-image

On a more serious note, it's a shame so many people are misinformed about sharks. In the last couple of years more research based on them in their natural habitat than has been done than ever before, our understanding of them is changing. They're amazing animals. Contrary to what most people seem to think, they're very intelligent, social too.

Even the title of that article made laugh. But that was very unlucky for that dwarf.

Hippos kill the most people in Africa every year...More the lions, crocs, elephants, and wildebeest.

Most victims are unsuspecting swimmer, boaters, kayak/canoers, or fisherman. A hippo can easily flip a kayak/canoe/dinghy, and can easily bite through a person with their massive tusks. Hippos are highly aggressive when you invade their territory.

Hippos kill the most people in Africa every year...More the lions, crocs, elephants, and wildebeest.

Most victims are unsuspecting swimmer, boaters, kayak/canoers, or fisherman. A hippo can easily flip a kayak/canoe/dinghy, and can easily bite through a person with their massive tusks. Hippos are highly aggressive when you invade their territory.

I heard that they are aggressive to other hippos, but not to people. :mellow: I guesse you do learn something everyday.

Hippos are highly aggressive when you invade their territory.

It's a shame Od only found out when it was too late.

I heard that they are aggressive to other hippos, but not to people. I guesse you do learn something everyday.

On kids shows and cartoons hippos are for some reason always shown to be the friendly 'good guys', not sure why; but it's a misconception.

Edited by Raptor X7

It's a shame Od only found out when it was too late.

Imagine your last thoughts being crushed in the mouth of a hippo...