Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Liberation of HeathField

Blood Angel

I thought i'd try my hand at a short story, here it is folks:

Liberation of Heathfield "Operation Wipeout"

Location 15 kilometres from Heathfield Derbyshire 24th April 2010 0655 Hours, Task Force Mike

Sergent lowry weeved his way between the rows of Scorpian light Tanks, and M2 bradley APCs. Holding what appeared to be a now lukewarm metal mug of black army issue coffee. Finally making his way past the last of the tanks and spin heeled left, to find Lieutent John Spencer lying in a hammock attached to the side of the hull of a Bradley The Sgt slightly shook spencer, "Sir wake up call" he said loudly. Spencer gave a quick grunt "hmm jesus what time is it?", "0700 hours Sir!" the sgt chirped quickly. Spencer rubbed his eyes a bit "are you sure i haven't heard no...", "artillery sir? ah yeah the regular outgoing fire, heh doesn't seem like morning without it, well they moved the 56th Artillery regiment almost 20 miles forwards, they delayed this morning bombardment missions" the Sgt said yawning himself. Seeing the Sgt yawn made spencer want to, but he managed to suppress it, "where are they now?" Lowry promptly pointed behind himself, "next field behind us sir". Spencer looked around to see the barrel of AS90 artillery cannons poking over the tree-line. "wiah thank god they haven't started yet that would have been a rude awakening, very well" turned back to look at the Sgt and pulled himself out the hammock stretching, "report Sergent". "Sir Operation Wipeout is going as planned, Taskforces Alpha to foxtrot have completed their objectives, taskforce golf reports heavy fighting in derby, Taskforces hotel to lima are just departing. HQ radioed this morning, intelligence tells them that the two black sun divisions occupying Heathfield have completely pulled out the area, our orders are to proceed on mission and take the town.".

Lowry handed spencer the metal mug, now completely cold. Spencer drifted off into thought, the day had come at last. he had been waiting almost 2 years for this particular day, he was returning back to his hometown after nearly 2 years. He remembered that time very well, as black sun troops marched in, he sneaked out. Lt John Spencer the commander of the highly respected 66th special weapons. Britain best kept secret before World War 3, 66th special weapons were created in 2005, after the apparent control of all military resources by the Black Sun corperation. There training and orders were considered above top secret, trained to the highest standard with only 330 members. They were all regular civilians recruited via the territorial army (British armed forces reserves), incase the impossible would happen and the black sun decided to use the military for their own ends. Until the begining of World War Three in july 2008, they all lived as regular civilians, from all walks of life. At the first sign of aggression by the corperation, they would all 'activate' and rendevous at specific positions across the UK, and start a guerilla war against black sun forces. So today was the day, he wondered if she would be there. He said goodbye to her before he left that day, they had worked together for over 5 months but never said a word to each other, still when he said goodbye she said nothing, just a single tear rolled down her face. Over the one and a half years, he had missed seeing her face everyday. Now his thoughts turned from wondering to hoping, he had gone through so much in the last couple of months, can't god give him a break just once?

"Sir?"

Spencer drank from the cup, with a look of disgust on his face at the taste.

"The men sir?"

"This coffee tastes like...." Spencer said shaking his head.

"Sir the men what are our orders?" the Sgt asked with a sound of impatientence

"Yes Sgt sorry, get everyone packed up and ready to move out in 40 minutes, gather the rough riders, commanders and their seconds for a brief at 0720 hours" Spencer said formally.

"Anything else sir?" Lowry enquired.

"No Sergent carry on" Spencer said without thinking.

"Yes Sir!" Lowry barked, with a quick salute, Lt spencer gave a sharp salute back, as the sergent walked off to carry out his orders.

- - -

24th April 2010 0719 Hours, Task Force Mike

Taskforce Mikes unit commanders and the rough riders, gathered round the front sloped end of a scorpian light tank with map of the area taped to it. Spencer had been given command of the taskforce, although it was strange to give a command to a lowly lieutent, but due to his highly respected posistion he made sure he was on the one to take back his hometown. The other commanders had a look of disdain on their faces having to take orders from a lower rank, but never-the-less they would follow his orders to the T. The commanders consisted of Captain Robin Gibson of the 2nd Armored calvalry division (Scorpian Light Tanks), Free American Army Troop Support Commander Major Amber De'laney (M2 Bradley), Canadian Airforce mobile Air defense Captain Chris Mackenzie (ADATS), Sergent Lowry (Spencers 2/ic*), and the two scout rough riders. Spencer flattened down the map bit, and pulled a pencil from his top pocket. "Ok ladys here the situation, we are 15 klicks from heathfield, objective hammer is this cross roads at the beginning of town" he marked a area on the map with a cross, the other commanders and the rough riders, also marked this down on their own maps. "We will approach the town from the north taking the old B109 road, to objective hammer, and secure the area, rough riders, your job is to scout out ahead of the main taskforce to make sure the areas clear for the tanks to come in." the rough riders nodded at this order. "After objective hammer is secure, Capt. Gibson and his boys designated 'eagles wing' will flank the town on the left and right sides, and closing the gap at the end of town objective nail, My unit designated 'eagles eye' will approach down the high street, sweep and clear all enemy targets and proceed on foot to objective nail" again he marked the area with a cross. "Major De'laney, your guys designated 'eagles claw' will wait at objective hammer and wait for the all clear to enter the town, Capt mackenzie, your to stay behind at objective hammer until objective nail has been secured, you will then proceed to the middle of town here" spencer circles a small road, on the map. "Intelligence suggests..." Major De'laney let out a quick snide laugh. The commanders stop looking at spencer and turn their attention at De'laney, she coughs a bit before shuffling uncomfatably. Spencer gives a small glare and returns his pencil to the map, now scrawled with pencil marks, "Intelligence suggests that the enitre area is clear, there should be no enemy resistance what so ever, even so keep your eyes and ears open people, i don't want no one slacking. We move out in 20 minutes, any questions?".

De'laney flashed a quick smirk "Is this intelligence reliable?"

Gibson then turned to the female commander, and in a typical cockney accent he trilled "You americans may not trust your own intelligence, but we certainly trust ours"

De'laneys eyes narrowed and hissed "Just get my guys in there", and stomped off towards her bradley followed quickly by her sub ordinate. The two corpral Rough riders looked at each other grinning, holding up there maps like hand bags, they sang together "OoOo Hand bags at dawn", then broke down into a fit of laughter, followed by the rest of the commanders.

"Alright can it you two and move out" Spencer said with a grin.

"Yes Sir!" they both said sarcastically, laughing and walking towards their yamaha green dawbed motorcycles. Gibson shrugged with a slight smile, and walked off in the direction of his command tank, followed shortly by mackenzie. Spencer sighed a bit and looked at Lowry "damn yanks but i'm glad shes here, right now things may look good, but at anytime it could all turn into a sh** sandwich". Lowry smiled a bit "And we'll all have to take a bite sir?". They both chuckled, Spencer turned serious "get the lads together and brief them, i'm going to find a proper brew." With that they both walked off in different directions, after few short seconds the artillery on the next field opened up a deafening display of fire.......

©Leonard Savage 2003 aka Blood Angel

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Blood Angel

• Stamford

• Phantom

• snuffypuffer

Top Posters In This Topic

sad.gif Christ what a waste of time that had been, disgust.gif only 11 people actually looked

umm any comments? good? bad? complete crock of crap?

you'll get the rest of the story if umm i think its worth continuing o_o

I liked it!

I write myself, Blood Angel, and i know it's hard to let other people see you work without soiling your fatigues, so respect for having the undercarriage to put it out in the first place.

wink2.gif

Keep going!!!

Who are these Black Sun blokes?

ph34r.gif