Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Are Unicorns real?

Bright Eyes

The Modern Unicorn is result of many different people’s imaginations.

He has changed from the delicate, goat-like creature to one of simple equine beauty. A beast ridden by a Virgin who he can actually trust not to lead him to the Hunter. He comes in every color and size, from the purest ivory to the darkest ebony and  every shade of the rainbow in between the two. He can have the

wings of Pegasus. Today’s Unicorn is special to each of his followers, but he still holds the basic principles of nobility, selflessness, and purity. And he shall always be one of the most beautiful creatures conceived by the mind of Man. Stories of a magnificent horned steed filtered into European throughout the Middle Ages. They

are believed to have originated from three sources. First, written accounts from Greek and Roman sources contributed to the widespread belief in the unicorn. Second, popular acceptance of the unicorn's existence. Finally,explorers brought back tales of the beast from other lands. It was in Medieval Europe that the unicorn attained its greatest fame, and where it began to assume the physical attributes we associate with it today. The European unicorn took the form of a large, white steed with a flowing white mane and a tuft of white hair on its chin. In most other respects it was much like an ordinary horse, except for having white hooves. It most unusual feature, of course, was the single white spiral horn projecting forward at an upward angle from its forehead.

Did Unicorns ever exist? Do they still exist today? I believe they do, as it is said that they only showed themselves in times of need, coming to people on important missions. It's appearance was interpreted as a sign of good times, and maybe that is why we haven't seen it recently, and we wont until things improve in the world?

What do you think?

According to legend, the unicorn was a fearless animal, swift and strong. So great was his courage and daring that hunters could not capture him in the chase. Only a pure maiden had the power to ensnare a unicorn. Symbolic in the purity of himself, he was attracted by her innocence, and meekly came to kneel before her and place his head in her lap. Captured by such a ruse and killed by hunters, the purity of the unicorn triumphed, for the indestructible creature returned to life again, living contentedly in captivity.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bright Eyes

• PurpleStuart

• thefirstman

• Xenojjin

Yes I do Believe that it still exist!!!

Unicorns, both Pure White & Pire Black do exist, not at this dimension...

They exist where Dwarves, Nature Sporits exist & lived.

I know it is Hard for many to accept. And they brand this tales as Myths or Legends.

if you do Soul travel....Not Astral Travel...you can see & appreciate how Beautiful this Divine animals are.

Unicorns are just like us... Part Animal & Part Divine. original.gif

Hello Paolo original.gif ,

Ok,I'm not really particularly interested in unicorns but you said something about soul-travelling.I'm both interested & still learning about astral projecting but.....how do you do it?? blink.gif

I have no idea how to Astral project,but i been on a webite that told you a spell but it only makes you feel like you are astral projecting.(god only knows how that happens,maybe the drugs in it).il try and remember it for you.

I guess unicorns can be as real as anything else that people believe in....as for astral projection and other forms of "projection" ... i just have NO idea.

I don't believe Unicorns ever existed i'm afraid to say, we have managed to find and piece together dinosaurs and other creatures which existed long before us, i think we may of found the remains of at least one or two unicorns if the ever did exist that comparatively recently

LoL. I do beleive they exist in another deminsion. LoL. ITs like saying Bif Foot does exist in planet Naboo. The dimension of what? Fairy Tales? Please tell me why do you think a dimension of medival legends exist? What about the chinese legends and the japanese legends? So only Medival creatures exist because god is racist to asians and africans so he wouldnt make a dimension for asian mystic creatures and african mystic creatures?Jokes

Paulo please do explain the main reason why u think unicorn exist?

Is their any evidence whatsoever that unicorns exist at all ? It really doesn't look like it . I believe that Unicorns are part of fairy tales for young girls to enjoy ( I have not yet found a guy who likes unicorns ) . Its really just something some people want to believe , but that doesn't make it real .

Xeno if you believe in something strong enough,then it is real to you.That is what matter's to people who believe in such things.i beleive that Unicorn's are beautiful creature's who exist on a different level from us.I believe they are real.

PurpleStuart... you wouldn't find any evidence of Unicorn remains as they are said to be immortal and live forever. Even when they were lured and slayed for their horns it is said that they lived again, and quite happily in captivity with humans.

Xeno... there is no evidence that proves that unicorns don't exist, and as for different dimensions I think it could be very possible. Unicorns were featured in Medieval tapestries but that doesn't mean to say they would be in a medieval dimension. Plus I know plenty of guys who are fascinated by these magnificent beasts. I know they appeal to little girls because most recent descriptions of them are of beautiful white horses, but the original drawing portray them more goat-like.

I'll look into any recent articles of anyone who has encountered a unicorn.

thumbsup.gif

thefirstman

Xeno if you believe in something strong enough,then it is real to you.That is what matter's to people who believe in such things.i beleive that Unicorn's are beautiful creature's who exist on a different level from us.I believe they are real.

If you believe in something strongly enough it may become a part of your reality , I dont disagree with that . But it still doesn't make it real . If I believed you were dead to the point of insanity would you be dead ? No.

And bright eyes .. no evidence they dont exist ? With reasoning like that I could say that I believe Flying monkey JUJU BEANS exist and have a topic worth discussing . They dont really exist , only in people's imagination , If that is good enough for you then thumbsup.gif

If I believed you were dead to the point of insanity would you be dead ? No

Read this over again.My point was that you believe that i was dead,so in your mind i would be dead.I didnt say that your belief's manifest themselves into rreality.i merely said that your beliefs can make something real in your mindnot in reality.Belief's are something that no one can take from you,,if you believe they exist ,they do,to you.and i believe they do.

you wouldn't find any evidence of Unicorn remains as they are said to be immortal and live forever. Even when they were lured and slayed for their horns it is said that they lived again, and quite happily in captivity with humans.

No the reason why you won't find their remains is because they never existed in the first place. There is a very good case for the origins of Unicorn myths to be from stories of Rhinos that filtered back to mediaeval europe from africa. If they were slain for their horns, those remains would of been found by now unless you are suggesting that they regenerate as well?

So basically unicorns are real to you even if they don't exist  ? Sounds like insanity . You should be tested ( unless you already have been )

That is exactly my point,they are real to you,even if others dont believe.Freedom of thought,speach and mind.i already have been tested.44% insane.

i read somewhere that they believe the shetland pony(i may be misspelling it) is a relative of the unicorn. on the forehead of its skull is a spot where a horn would have grown. but now adays doesnt.

Unicorn horns were also used as an Aphrodisiac, so I don't think they would waste any, resulting in no horn remains have been found.

original.gif

Unicorn horns were also used as an Aphrodisiac, so I don't think they would waste any, resulting in no horn remains have been found.

original.gif

Gary... I didn't know that, but I once used to visit a remote place occupied by a family of Shetlands with a little stream running through it and I nick-named it the enchanted stream. Maybe Shetlands still possess some of the magic if they did evolve from unicorns and I was picking up on that! thumbsup.gif

The idea of an animal with a single horn projecting from the centre of its forehead, which is the universally accepted definition of a unicorn, is firmly grounded in prehistoric reality. The giant mammal Elasmotherium flourished on the Eurasian continent particularly the steppes and forests of southeastern Russia, Mongolia and northern China. It was even larger than a modern day elephant and had a single horn which grew from the centre of its forehead and measured up to two metres in length.

This real unicorn, whose full scientific designation in Latin is Elasmotherium sibiricum Fischer 25, was a species of rhinoceros. Bjorn Kurtén described the Elasmotherium as "a truly gigantic animal, far larger than any living rhinoceros. It had no nose horn, but instead an immense horn on the forehead: it grew to a length of two metres. This animal was thus a veritable unicorn." (Kurtén, 1968, p. 145).

During the late Pleistocene era the existance of the Elasmotherium and Homo Sapiens overlapped for centuries. It is believed that early encounters with this amazing creature were the basis of stories about the great unicorn. Over time these memories became legends which faded into myth. It is believed that Mediaeval European ideas about the unicorn were ultimately inspired by the mythic Chinese unicorn zhi.

There can be no doubt that during the Medieval era the unicorn was believed to be a real animal. As scientific thought overtook beliefs during the Renaissance sightings of unicorns were attributed to more mundane animal such as rhinos, goats, and horses. Until at last the unicorn was added to the list of animals to be found only in stories and fables.

Unicorns are real as you and me,beleive it,if you dont you miss out on the magick they hold within the belief..............

My thoughts on Unicorns....

Perhaps...I do believe that, to a greater or lesser extent, most legends stem from truth, and it's not impossible that a rare genetic disorder led to some horses having horns...it's also likely that these animals, given their rarity, would have been extremely prized by hunters and the like, and hunted to the point of extinction, and their horns carved into some kind of trophy...in which case, every horse carrying this gene would be dead by now, which is why we don't see them now.

On the other hand, you'd think at least some of them would die a natural death and, as someone said above, we probably would have discovered some kind of evidence of them.

It's a bit iffy...looking at them purely as a variation in the species, it's possible, though not likely.

My thoughts on Xenojjin....

Its really just something some people want to believe , but that doesn't make it real .

From a young man who so zealously believes in God, that may just be the single most hypocritical arguement I've ever heard tongue.gif If you intend people to respect your own fantasy, please do not mock those of other people wink2.gif

True, there's no evidence to suggest the unicorn ever existed...however, from an evolutionary standpoint, it isn't completely far fetched...stags have antlers, bulls have horns...why couldn't a horse have developed a similar variation?

Elasmotherium is basicaly a Rhino albeit a huge one (see link here for a picture) and although myths could have been passed down from the Pleistocene (approx 2 million - 11,000yrs ago) it is much more likely that the tales of unicorns where inspired from travellers tales from africa only 1000 yrs ago just before the medieaval period. Either way these are both rhinos and not Unicorns.

Mankind's myths and legends are populated with Fictional creatures amalgimated from different body barts from different animals, and by believing in unicorns you will have to give credence to other beasts such as Gryphons, Manticores, Basilisks, Sphinxes and Pegasi. It would be a better world if they had existed but unfortunately they did not.

You can't say they don't exist for absolute certain PS, as I can't say that they most definitely do. But I still believe in them.

I think an episode I saw of Ally McBeal portrayed Unicorns in the pure and magical way they should be portrayed, and that only certain people are able to see them.

original.gif

Its really just something some people want to believe , but that doesn't make it real .
From a young man who so zealously believes in God, that may just be the single most hypocritical arguement I've ever heard  If you intend people to respect your own fantasy, please do not mock those of other people

From your stand point , I can see your reasoning in that , as you have come to believe god does not exist you see the idea of unicorns in the same light . Unfortunately , there is a big differance .

God existing -> their is proof of this . miracles happening , faith healing actually working , prophecies coming true that were in the bible that could not logically be interpreted in any other way . On top of it all their is more proof the earth is young then there is of the earth being old , therefore providing a big argument against evolution . Not fantasy

Unicorns existing -> no proof but people's dreams and hopes . Also some myths and folklore with no historical event's mentioning it . Fantasy

calling someone a hypocrite for believing in god but not in unicorns doesn't only make no sense , its just stupid tongue.gif