Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Giant Shark Megalodon caught on tape?

truethat

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mattshark

• Aztec Warrior

• Clobhair-cean

• truethat

That is soooo a basking or a whale shark

Sleeper shark? oo I did not know about them! *ques the more you know music*

Yep, its a sleeper... Watch BBC's Blue planet, it has is some rather good footage about one of them.

Jesus Christ!!!!! that thing is the largest shark i have ever seen.

Why is it everything in Japan is always bigger? except the people of course they're tiny....

As to what type of shark it is i'm not sure it is either a previously undiscovered species or possibly a megalodon. What tells me this is not the peaceful shrimp eating whale shark is the head. Judging by it's mouth it clearly has a massive bite

Looks big from a cloose up shot; can't really estimate its size accurately from that footage.

Looks big from a cloose up shot; can't really estimate its size accurately from that footage.

Sleepers are big, they can grow up to 7 meters...

Yep, they are the biggest of the dogfish sharks.

It is not like megaladon at all, which would a like an oversized great white, it was in water too deep for basking, whale sharks.

no way, megladon that thing that went extinct millions of years ago. it aint on no tape.

It's a Pacific Sleeper Shark. This video's been all over.

Yep, they are the biggest of the dogfish sharks.

It is not like megaladon at all, which would a like an oversized great white, it was in water too deep for basking, whale sharks.

Using the cage to judge the size of this beastie.....it must be 20-25 meters long. Isn't that too big for a whale shark? And don't they live in deeper water. Hard to believe its a meg though.

Using the cage to judge the size of this beastie.....it must be 20-25 meters long. Isn't that too big for a whale shark? And don't they live in deeper water. Hard to believe its a meg though.

How do you know the size of the cage? :innocent:

There's no way that shark is 20-25 metre's long. It is big howerver and deffinitly has the jaws that would make me run on water. I would agree sleeper shark.

I looks like an ordinary crab cage. They tend to be about 2 or 3 meters across. And the other sharks are proportional.

Exactly, that is no shark cage, it is smaller than that, Even a shark cage is just over 2m. Aztec, they are just sleeper sharks, I know what a sleeper shark looks like (Also known as greenland sharks).

Edited by Mattshark

Exactly, that is no shark cage, it is smaller than that, Even a shark cage is just over 2m. Aztec, they are just sleeper sharks, I know what a sleeper shark looks like (Also known as greenland sharks).

Yeah, your probably right. :tu:

No no no You are ruining my thread. Its a monster.....

Sorry. :)

It has five large pairs of gills. Two small eyes are located towards the front of the shark's wide, flat head. The body is mostly grey with a white belly; three prominent ridges run along each side of the animal and the skin is marked with a 'checkerboard' of pale yellow spots and stripes.

linked-image

I don't believe the specimen in the video had these colors.

The largest specimen regarded as accurately recorded was caught on November 11, 1947, near the island of Baba, not far from Karachi, Pakistan. It was 12.65 m (41.5 ft) long, weighed more than 21.5 tons (47,300 lb), and had a girth of 7 m (23 ft).[4] Stories exist of vastly larger specimens - Quoted lengths of 18 m (59 ft) are not uncommon in the popular shark literature - but no scientific records exist to support their existence.

There have even been claims of whale sharks of up to 23 m (75 ft). In 1934 a ship named the "Maurguani" came across a whale shark in the Southern Pacific ocean, rammed it, and the shark consequently became stuck on the prow of the ship, supposedly with 4.6 m (15 ft) on one side and 12.2 m (40 ft) on the other.[5] No reliable documentation exists of those claims and they remain little more than "fish-stories".

source

Edited by Aztec Warrior

It has five large pairs of gills. Two small eyes are located towards the front of the shark's wide, flat head. The body is mostly grey with a white belly; three prominent ridges run along each side of the animal and the skin is marked with a 'checkerboard' of pale yellow spots and stripes.

linked-image

I don't believe the specimen in the video had these colors.

The largest specimen regarded as accurately recorded was caught on November 11, 1947, near the island of Baba, not far from Karachi, Pakistan. It was 12.65 m (41.5 ft) long, weighed more than 21.5 tons (47,300 lb), and had a girth of 7 m (23 ft).[4] Stories exist of vastly larger specimens - Quoted lengths of 18 m (59 ft) are not uncommon in the popular shark literature - but no scientific records exist to support their existence.

There have even been claims of whale sharks of up to 23 m (75 ft). In 1934 a ship named the "Maurguani" came across a whale shark in the Southern Pacific ocean, rammed it, and the shark consequently became stuck on the prow of the ship, supposedly with 4.6 m (15 ft) on one side and 12.2 m (40 ft) on the other.[5] No reliable documentation exists of those claims and they remain little more than "fish-stories".

source

I know for sure that it is a sleeper, trust me, I know me sharkies.

Could be a greenland shark, like Matt said. The colors are similiar, but it seems to small.

linked-image

Greenland sharks are deep-water sharks, living at depths up to 2,000 m (1.24 mi). A 7.3 m (24 ft) specimen is frequently mentioned in the literature, and has come to be accepted as a general maximum length, despite the fact that the measurement is in dispute. As compared to the long-running discussion of the measurements of the great white shark, reported measurements of the Greenland shark face little scrutiny, as it is hardly as famous nor as ferocious as the other predatory sharks. Somewhat more credible is the reports of a 6.4 m (21.3 ft) specimen, caught off the Isle of May, Scotland, in January 1895. The weight was reported at 1,021 kg (2,250 lbs). References exist to a specimen with a weight of 1.4 tons (3,000 lbs), but in this case there is no note of the specimen's length.

shark link

You know I watched it again and I think the cage is small because its open on either side so it is probably a small cage. But even if its just the size of a man that shark is still friggin huge in comparison.

I found it.

linked-image