Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

atlantis...fact or fiction...

Firebolt

Atlantis.. fact or fiction?  

54 members have voted

1. 1. Atlantis.. fact or fiction?

• Fact
    • Fiction
    • Pishaw! atlantis is gay!

I believe that atlantis is real. What about you? Fact or Fiction? I think it would be neat to go on an expidetion to find it. I believe.. what about you?

Bro

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Chauncy

• PurpleStuart

• tkr9

• angel_eyes

I personally like the small article in a back issue of Fortean Times about this, (and I promise I will actually find the issue one of these days) in which it stated that if we look at what the sea level was like way back when Atlantis was supposed to have existed, there is a small island in between the pillars of heracles, exactly where Plato said we'd find Atlantis.

I like to think that Atlantis is real and that there is still some sort of civilisation living there,hiding from us.But ever asked yourself why they would be hiding from us?Maybe they are a peacful race,with no weapons no malice,only peace.Then along we come with the weapons the pain and suffering.I think if there are people there,they do not want to be found.

I don't neccassarily believe Atlantis was real as such, but there is a large amount of evidence that there were many cultures that where engulfed since the last ice age, from places as diverse as Malta, India, persian gulf, japan and the North Sea.

I'll shut up now as this really is one of my pet subjects and i have rabbited on about ancient civilisations all over this forun already laugh.gif but i'll leave you with a link for those who are interested:

Underworld

I marked Fact. There is to many writings of it from past cultures, and these cultures and societys werent exactly next door to each other. Like the example PurpleStuart gave India, Japan etc. Bye the way folks, i am glad i found this website. I have been very curious about cryptozoology, myths and legends for a long time. Glad to be a part of the site now. Take Care Obsidian76 rolleyes.gif

One researcher-scientist believes it is where modern-day Morocco is! If you like I can scan for and find the link, is a interesting read?

I think atlantis is real. look at how many tribes of people we're still finding in South America. It's crazy!

I put fact.

There's a fair amount of evidence out there to suggset there was such an island.

I read once that, when asked by Plato where they got their knowledge of certain things from, the Egyptian priest answered with "From the Atlaneans". Does it get much more straight forward than that?

Haha. My sister at the moment is at university, doing anthroplogy (which leads onto archeaology.) for the sole reason of finding Atlantis. That is her live-goal. To find Atlantis. She's convinced it's under Antartica.

Potholer

There is a land mass near where Plato said atlantis would be which currently is underwater, but could of been above water at the last ice age, when the ocean levels were lower (added to a another factor which is quite hard to explain, but involves a bulge in the earths crust caused by a depression else where further north inturn caused by the heavy weight of the enlarged polar ice caps).

The only part of it exposed now is the Azores.

All we know about the Atlantean culture if it ever existed is what plato wrote about - but he was using it as an example and so quite possibly made it up to prove the points he wanted to make

I think Atlantis is fiction.

It never ceases to amaze me that somehow we think everything the Ancients said is true, as if they do not have the ability to create fiction.

It also amazes me that much of what has been written down has been ignored or passed over because it doesn't fit in to our set beliefs of history. Many historical finds are ignored because a Historians career is on the line. A good example of this is that there are two tombs in egypt one is partially built over the other. Conventional Egyptology states that the Pharoah in the tomb above ruled first - approx 500-600 yrs before the one in the tomb below was made for. obviously this is wrong but as far as i'm aware they haven't acknowledged it as it would upset their version of history which they have made their career on.

I'm not sure a place called Atlantis existed, but i'm pretty much convinced there was an ancient culture out there which was destroyed which influenced the civilasations we know about and believe to be the first

This reminds me of the controversy concerning the Sphinx, there are signs of water erosion (in the SAHARA) around the enclosure that surronds the Sphinx to suggest that it may have been built way earlier than what historians claimed...perhaps 10,000 years ago when the Sahara wasn't a desert yet. Of course, that would screw up history was they think it was supposed to be, so despite the evidence right in front of their eyes, they pretend it doesn't exist.

• 2 weeks later...

KayEL - unfortunately that erosion could also be caused by moisture trapped under the sand (like a wind trap)- the sphinx spent a great deal of it's life up to it's neck in sand and the moisture got to it that way. That doesn't mean thats how it happened, but it's the more likely possibilty. I'd far prefer to believe the sphinx was far older though. One interesting fact is that in the same way that Great pyramids lining up to make a ground representation of Orion's belt, at approximately 12500 yrs ago the sphinx would of lined up perfectly with the rising of the constellation Leo at the equinox, at the same time the milky way also 'looked' like it was a continuation of the nile and the great pyramids were set all in the correct place as Orions belt to the nile's representation of the milky way.

Coincedence or design? who knows

Atlantis is fiction. All of the major civilisations to exist left some sort of legacy no matter how advanced. Anyway the whole atlantis myth is based on one conversation plato had. Not a very strong base to build a case on in my opinion.

I vote fiction. Plato could have been making the whole thing up, who knows...It seems like an advanced civilization would have been able to leave some sort of record of itself outside of the references of Plato...

"Utopias" of one sort or another seem to pop up again and again throughout history, I am not sure why...I think it was just a fictional story to make a point. From that people ran with the concept, and it has grown to what it is today.

Of course I could be wrong, that is just my opinion on the matter...

I agree Fluffly. The existance of a utopia or a higher plane of existance is a running motif in every religion. I think that perhaps utopia was some ancient religious expression for a higher state of consiousness.

The word Utopia was actually first used in 1516 in a book named Utopia although written in Latin by Sir thomas More and has only been added to plato's writing's retroactivley though it was a pretty good idea and may have some truth.

The truth is that i would love Atlantis to have existed or even better still exist but there is just no real evidence to ever support that such an advanced civilisation ever existed.

yeah i would love it too actually. Ya know they said the ancient city of Troy was also just a myth. But it was recently dicovered.

Who knows what the future will reveal about Atlantis?