Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Is Your Life Already Written?

FOAM

This is how I see it. It may be kind of confusing to some and hard to follow. Others may feel a light bulb kind of go on.

We have the freedom to choose in the moment so to speak, but our life can only follow one path. Therefore both sides are half-right.

Every choice you make in life is based on the consequences of that choice, your current thinking in life, your upbringing, etc.

You could not control the life you were put into i.e. your skill sets, your family, how your parents raised you.

The very first conscious choice you made in life is based off of the life you were born into (which you can't control)

The next choice you make is based off the conditions that arise as a result of that first choice.

And so on, and so on.

Each choice that you make, while you have an infinite amount of directions you can take, you will always only take the one direction

Because that is who you are.

So in the moment you have the ability to consciously choose

But in the grand scheme of things, you must choose to act a certain way, always, because you were born in such a way.

If you truly understand this concept, you will know because this notion will seem freeing as opposed to making you think life is pointless

It will make you understand that the point of life is just that, to live, and to soak up every instant of life that you are blessed with

Dears,

Do you believe that life is already written? I ran into a friend today who's religion is Hindu. He was telling me that he knows a Chief Priest (Astrologer) like a psychic. He told me something interesting. That he believed that there is a book about life in general. Life is already written and its in this book. So your life, my life is written in this book. What are your thoughts and views.

It seems that the person of Hindu origin may have been refering to the "Naadi palm leaf predictions".

Though iddifficult to swollow, but it is true.

A blog is available o this subject now. Also you can refer post It was written... giving live example of a friend of mine fro Air Force.

QUOTE(GanjaGuru @ Jan 24 2007, 08:37 AM) 1513592[/snapback]

However there are lot's of events you can controll for example what your career will be or whether or not you will have pancakes for breakfast.

Some would argue that those "choices" are just illusion and the everything from career choices, what you will have for breakfast, to altruistic behaviour are determined by ones own genetics and cumulative experiences. Such that, any individual with that exact DNA who was exposed to those exact life circumstances would have chosen exactly the samething. So in the end, you have no free will.

(I'm not argueing with you by the way, just putting this out there for discussion)

I remember a similar discussion somewhere else. Someone proposed that a supercomputer which could track all variables in one's life could predict how the individual would react in any given situation; therefore free will would not exist. I can't say that I agree with that idea.

I remember a similar discussion somewhere else. Someone proposed that a supercomputer which could track all variables in one's life could predict how the individual would react in any given situation; therefore free will would not exist. I can't say that I agree with that idea.

I can't I agree either but in a universe governed by laws free will is impossible.

I can't I agree either but in a universe governed by laws free will is impossible.

Can you elaborate about what laws you mean? I understand things like the law of gravity and such. However, I can't conceive of a law which would, for example, determine which of my eyelashes is going to fall off into my eye at what time, and how I would rub my eye.

I understand that many of our actions are determined by the cause that occurs before, but there are so many different variables in potential reactions that I can't comprehend how those actions would not be my choice.

Can you elaborate about what laws you mean? I understand things like the law of gravity and such. However, I can't conceive of a law which would, for example, determine which of my eyelashes is going to fall off into my eye at what time, and how I would rub my eye.

I understand that many of our actions are determined by the cause that occurs before, but there are so many different variables in potential reactions that I can't comprehend how those actions would not be my choice.

Again. I believe in choice. But I often play Devils advocate to for fun or to show were the logic really leads.

In a universe governed by laws, that eyelash is falling off for any number of physical reasons. You chose to rub it a certain way because of deep and common instincts built from evolution, preferences, and it habits. All built on brain chemistry and evolution. In fact in a Newtonian universe, every single incident and choice is merely a progression of laws starting from the big bang potentially before it. There is no way the universe can be any different. Even in a quantum universe and the uncertainty principle. It's uncertain because quantum effects do not allow us to have all the information about things. If we had it, then we would see that all events were preordained. A very large game of pool...all things products of natural laws. Choice and free will are illusions built upon the lak of total knowledge and computing deficiencies.

Again ( not my universe) but defiantly a consequence of pure materialistic thought.

Dears,

It seems that the person of Hindu origin may have been refering to the "Naadi palm leaf predictions".

Though iddifficult to swollow, but it is true.

A blog is available o this subject now. Also you can refer post It was written... giving live example of a friend of mine fro Air Force.

Oh heck, who woke him up again?

s3756.gif

I believe that there is a destiny set out for us, a greater purpose we can fulfill, but at the end of the day it depends on our choices whether we make it there or not. I see it like a path, it has been previously laid out for you, but it is your choice what shortcuts or detours you take. There are always multiple choices and the consequences that come with them, it's about who you choose to be. A yin and yang of who you are.

Even in a quantum universe and the uncertainty principle. It's uncertain because quantum effects do not allow us to have all the information about things. If we had it, then we would see that all events were preordained. A very large game of pool...all things products of natural laws. Choice and free will are illusions built upon the lak of total knowledge and computing deficiencies.

I do understand what you are saying, and I can agree with it to a certain extent. However, the part that scares me is that it removes any sense of responsibility a person might have for their choices. Making correct choices is something that I talk about with my students all the time. If they latched onto this idea--my behavior is determined by the universe and is not under my control--I would hate to see what they would do to themselves.

I dont believe nor not-believe in god, I'm not sure whether god exists or not. But I think that even if god or a higher entity exists, we cant know whether that entity is all-powerful if we've not testified all the power of that entity. If we can work against plans of that entity, I think it's already a testament of our will that's free from that entity's complete grasp, at least.

If god or a higher entity exists, I certainly wouldn't dismiss the possibility that we're like Tulpas to that entity where as Tulpas are just what they are to us, images we (assumably) forge from our minds that can progress to take more free will and more space in our plane.

I think we, ourselves chose the way we are to live this life and the lessons that will be presented. There is an infinite number of possible futures and we choose one by every choice we make. It's not something bad. And it doesn't mean we don't have free will.

Edit: somewhat related to what I just said---> http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/forum...p;#entry1513817

This is an interesting hypothesis, but first you'd have to build something more powerful than a human brain that's capable of working on it's own, and developing on it's own initiation. But to understand how we make those "gut-decisions", how our intuition and emotions and spiritual side really work (if you believe in your spiritual side that is), to understand those sides would be a requirement for this machine to be able to predict our functionings. And remember, even if you understand what goes around in a single human being's head, the challenge adds up when you try to understand everything about interactions of two or more human beings. We are both receivers and transmitters of all kinds of vibes in our most basic sense, I believe. This is a very blind sort of belief from me, I might as well believe in god or that nuclear physics are the answer to everything, equally blind beliefs.

i think that we all have a path to walk . ! ! our lifes is just like a book and yes, most part of the book is alrdy writen.... some books are shorter than others.. ( lifeline ) ,but what we write in it . thats our choice . in the end it doesnt matters. .. all books have an end.. ! and it can be rewriten ! reincarnation ! depends on how well you wrote your book !

fate destiny? http://www.happy-science.org/fate-and-destiny

If universe is indeed governed by laws we cannot break, bend nor override. Not just any laws. One question is, are those laws static and why so? It's a big if, especially when we dont know our own limits as beings nor the core of all universal laws yet, or even if we know those things we may not be able to shed light to everything from it yet.

I'd like to maintain the belief that as long as there's a law to be broken, yet so far unbroken, it just waits for it's next breaking as long as there exists anything that can at any point in time potentially become it's breaker. Because if you lose that belief, I believe you lose some sight of how to do it. If that belief becomes blind however, you lose an equal amount of sight in that matter.

Evening all ...

I don't want to believe in fate, as I like to think I have some controll over whats going to happen. However, things that have happened to me in the past tell me I should believe.

It would seem fate has attempted to join me and my partner together for sometime. We met October 2004, and have been soul mates since. But we discovered some strange things that led up to us meeting. Little things. I should explain, I lived in London all my life, but moved here after meeting my current partner, around 200 miles west fo London.

We first discovered we both broke our arms in the same place, in the same year, within a week of each other, and were treated by the same doctor, who previously had, indeed been training in the hospital I was treated in a week earlier. When I was little, I sung at Wembley Conference hall. He was in the same audience, watching his brothers piano recital. We would of, envitably been on a train together later on in our lives, as he caught the same train to and from University thrice weekly, as I caught a train to and from work once a week. Other things like both being in the Eden Projects opening ceremony, and going on family holidays no less then ten minutes away from each other. We also believe he came to watch my band play at a "Battle of the Bands" in 2000.

I don't know. Maybe I'm just an old (well, at 20 I still feel incredibly old) romantic, or maybe there is more to this than what it seems.

Or maybe its all BS =o)

Have you seen the movie "Adjustment Bureau" its a good sci-fi with Matt Damon starring,from what you have posted above it seems appropriate..

The moving finger writes and having writ moves on,nor all your piety nor wit shall lure it back to cancel half a line ,nor all your tears wash away a word of it..Omar Khayam...

Maybe fate does take a large part of your life, I've always been a bit fatalistic,whats going to happen will happen, there has been too many things in my life to ignore or tempt it..Like a Motorway/Freeway there are plenty of slip roads to leave it,but you always end up back on it, until your destination.Wow that sounds really dismal.(Save the last dance for me..ha ha )

Do you believe that life is already written? I ran into a friend today who's religion is Hindu. He was telling me that he knows a Chief Priest (Astrologer) like a psychic. He told me something interesting. That he believed that there is a book about life in general. Life is already written and its in this book. So your life, my life is written in this book. What are your thoughts and views. Do you believe that your life is already written?

I think life is a learning realm. School is in. We make mistakes and learn to move on and remember what we did wrong. I never felt that life had a concrete script.

I think life is a learning realm. School is in. We make mistakes and learn to move on and remember what we did wrong. I never felt that life had a concrete script.

Hi Buddy you could just be right,just think that if you had left 3 minutes earlier for work all the traffic lights would have been green,but instead your 20 minutes late, and the boss is in ...k-rap,done it again..cheers

I do understand what you are saying, and I can agree with it to a certain extent. However, the part that scares me is that it removes any sense of responsibility a person might have for their choices. Making correct choices is something that I talk about with my students all the time. If they latched onto this idea--my behavior is determined by the universe and is not under my control--I would hate to see what they would do to themselves.

Yes well I agree. Totally actually. Something else happens when a conciousness being can now predict and be aware of the future to a degree. The Past then starts to be dependent on the future. Surprising this is exactly what quantum physics tells us with the delayed choice quantum eraser.

As it turns out choice becomes more fundamental. Being more fundamental, the other laws of the universe are not governing those choices. Hence free will is not an illusion.

Going back to devils advocate

Your students are already going to make those choices. The ones that will latch onto it are already going to do it, the ones that won't won't, your efforts to affect them and the steps you take are already going to happen. An illusion is just that. An illusion. You are preordained to to think and believe the way you do and if you change that belief well that was preordained aswel. The lak of information and computing ability makes you think you are makeing choices, when in fact your are just bouncing of the Q ball.

Edited by Seeker79

If universe is indeed governed by laws we cannot break, bend nor override. Not just any laws. One question is, are those laws static and why so? It's a big if, especially when we dont know our own limits as beings nor the core of all universal laws yet, or even if we know those things we may not be able to shed light to everything from it yet.

I'd like to maintain the belief that as long as there's a law to be broken, yet so far unbroken, it just waits for it's next breaking as long as there exists anything that can at any point in time potentially become it's breaker. Because if you lose that belief, I believe you lose some sight of how to do it. If that belief becomes blind however, you lose an equal amount of sight in that matter.

In order to break a "law" of the universe one needs to understand the more fundamental components of that law.

And yes... We would not have airplanes, computers, or incredible medical procedures if people just accepted that something is impossible. It was once believed that a human being would die if propelled at speeds of 20mph or fall of the earth if traveling to far. Thank god for those of us that do not accept the status quo.

[...] Thank god for those of us that do not accept the status quo.

One 50+ old man did not wanted to "accept the status quo" that Amanita phalloides are deadly poisonous, so he ate few of them. On first day he was happy - nothing happened. Well, "natural goods" in mushrooms kicked in with full force on the second day: he felt "not good", started to bleed, so he was hospitalized. Needless to say, on the fourth fifth day he died.

So, is it "Thank God"? Or not?

Edited by bmk1245

One 50+ old man did not wanted to "accept the status quo" that Amanita phalloides are deadly poisonous, so he ate few of them. On first day he was happy - nothing happened. Well, "natural goods" in mushrooms kicked in with full force on the second day: he felt "not good", started to bleed, so he was hospitalized. Needless to say, on the fourth fifth day he died.

Hum. It's one thing to challenge the laws of physics in paper for example, than to challenge that something is deadly poisonous when that something has already been tested and observed that people die from it. Different in that the experiment itself is deadly.

I hope no one takes this the wrong way, but if you think of what we eat, drink, breathe and so on, the "everything in moderation" rule applies, doesn't it? Even to oxygen (not pure oxygen but the mixtures we breath): compress too much of that and inject it to us too much or in the wrong spot (inside a syringe into our blood circulation, usually fatal I hear), and it too becomes poison. Also chilis, the mega-fiery ones 200+ times more fiery than jalapeno... have a person who doesn't usually eat fiery foods eat a whole that kind of pepper and it's likely a hospital trip. I think limits exist to be broken, but you should choose sensibly which limit you try to break, and especially how. When you break it, it's no longer a limit in that but in another spot. It may move back to it's original spot if you let it "rest", or not.

Hum. It's one thing to challenge the laws of physics in paper for example, than to challenge that something is deadly poisonous when that something has already been tested and observed that people die from it. Different in that the experiment itself is deadly.

I hope no one takes this the wrong way, but if you think of what we eat, drink, breathe and so on, the "everything in moderation" rule applies, doesn't it? Even to oxygen (not pure oxygen but the mixtures we breath): compress too much of that and inject it to us too much or in the wrong spot (inside a syringe into our blood circulation, usually fatal I hear), and it too becomes poison. Also chilis, the mega-fiery ones 200+ times more fiery than jalapeno... have a person who doesn't usually eat fiery foods eat a whole that kind of pepper and it's likely a hospital trip. I think limits exist to be broken, but you should choose sensibly which limit you try to break, and especially how. When you break it, it's no longer a limit in that but in another spot. It may move back to it's original spot if you let it "rest", or not.

Taking your "everything in moderation" rule applies in broader sense, somehow it does not work in pseudoscience/woo woo land: any bogus claim is taken at face value, be it challenging (without any support) laws of physics, or paranormal/other stuff.

The rule of moderation is there to keep us alive. Have you ever heard of a being of not of this dimension, like ghost or demon, killing someone? A documented case, that is? On the contrary to that you have food poisonings, drownings, dehydration deaths... it's not like we experience physical deaths that come from a spiritual origin in that sense, it usually takes an indirect link like angering a spirit through ouija board communication for example. That why we may feel more free to study that spiritual origin. That's a reason that lets us stretch the rule of moderation in psychic sciences.

I believe many people, including me, allow this rule of moderation be bypassed in this area, is because of our point of view: if a phenomena cannot be explained by another science, does it mean it doesn't exist? That's not the only conclusion you can come up with, it can only mean that the other science isn't yet advanced enough to comprehend it in it's terms. We see that possibility too. This possibility opens door to bogus claims, but shutting this door would shut a lot of exploration ground, that why I keep it open. It's by exploring the unknown that we become more aware of it, even if we may not be able to put it into words, pictures, not into something that eye or ear can perceive. Then it's also us who aren't yet advanced enough in that area of science. I believe in possibilities, possibilities like those.

If you think you've found some claim be inappropriate, a bogus, then one way to ascertain your view is not to stick on that one science, but to look it from other science's point of view. If you ignore a part of any reality, anyone's reality, you won't see a so whole picture. I posted a topic to ask people what psychic or paranormal abilities they have, should have asked about experiences too but that's beside the point... the point is, I'm taking account to the possibility of bocus claims, even though I treat every claim as non-bogus as long as I see their fitting in the picture. If the whole picture is drawn based on bogus claims, then what? I wont be able to be sure, whether the bogus claims had some reality-base value mimicked from actual experiences or whether they're completely false. Then I'll just search for more solid claims if I notice that to be the case. The most solid claims I've encountered are those I've heard in real life. In face-to-face it's easier to tell when someone's hiding anything, and what kind of things, that's where I have my base, as well as in my own experiences.

If you, if you can be an outstanding scientist and work out a formula that separates bogus claims from sincere ones in paranormal research field, please do so. Many people are working on it, but it's really such a subjective world. Psychology is in this sense a border-science, since it deals with much subjective matters. It's not easy to come up with a formula, and as you have seen happen in physics and every science throughout history, those established formulas tend to be broken, bended or have alternative formulas added. I've heard of a person proving in math that 1+1=3, not verified it but if that's true, where you base a completely objective view only? Our subjective view means that we are transmitters, a sort of radiowave receivers, moving radios you could say, each having a slightly differently tuned device even if the base construction is often the same. Some of us have the bass tuned up, others keep their volume down, others often listen to certain channels... ignoring that view of subjectivity is turning a blind eye to reality.

Taking your "everything in moderation" rule applies in broader sense, somehow it does not work in pseudoscience/woo woo land: any bogus claim is taken at face value, be it challenging (without any support) laws of physics, or paranormal/other stuff.

This attitude is entirely my point. All things new are considered by fuddyduddies to be in wowoo land by the status quo huggers. Time and time again it ends up being the other way around in the end.

Hugh?

The rule of moderation is there to keep us alive. Have you ever heard of a being of not of this dimension, like ghost or demon, killing someone? A documented case, that is? [...]

Tooth fairies, nor figments of imagination don't kill. Kills void/vacuum between the ears plus brainwash.

[...]. it's not like we experience physical deaths that come from a spiritual origin in that sense, it usually takes an indirect link like angering a spirit through ouija board communication for example. That why we may feel more free to study that spiritual origin. That's a reason that lets us stretch the rule of moderation in psychic sciences.

I believe many people, including me, allow this rule of moderation be bypassed in this area, is because of our point of view: if a phenomena cannot be explained by another science, does it mean it doesn't exist? That's not the only conclusion you can come up with, it can only mean that the other science isn't yet advanced enough to comprehend it in it's terms. We see that possibility too. This possibility opens door to bogus claims, but shutting this door would shut a lot of exploration ground, that why I keep it open. It's by exploring the unknown that we become more aware of it, even if we may not be able to put it into words, pictures, not into something that eye or ear can perceive. Then it's also us who aren't yet advanced enough in that area of science. I believe in possibilities, possibilities like those.[...]

How convenient.

[...]

If you think you've found some claim be inappropriate, a bogus, then one way to ascertain your view is not to stick on that one science, but to look it from other science's point of view. If you ignore a part of any reality, anyone's reality, you won't see a so whole picture. I posted a topic to ask people what psychic or paranormal abilities they have, should have asked about experiences too but that's beside the point... the point is, I'm taking account to the possibility of bocus claims, even though I treat every claim as non-bogus as long as I see their fitting in the picture. If the whole picture is drawn based on bogus claims, then what? I wont be able to be sure, whether the bogus claims had some reality-base value mimicked from actual experiences or whether they're completely false. Then I'll just search for more solid claims if I notice that to be the case. The most solid claims I've encountered are those I've heard in real life. In face-to-face it's easier to tell when someone's hiding anything, and what kind of things, that's where I have my base, as well as in my own experiences.

If you, if you can be an outstanding scientist and work out a formula that separates bogus claims from sincere ones in paranormal research field, please do so. Many people are working on it, but it's really such a subjective world. Psychology is in this sense a border-science, since it deals with much subjective matters. It's not easy to come up with a formula, and as you have seen happen in physics and every science throughout history, those established formulas tend to be broken, bended or have alternative formulas added. I've heard of a person proving in math that 1+1=3, not verified it but if that's true, where you base a completely objective view only? Our subjective view means that we are transmitters, a sort of radiowave receivers, moving radios you could say, each having a slightly differently tuned device even if the base construction is often the same. Some of us have the bass tuned up, others keep their volume down, others often listen to certain channels... ignoring that view of subjectivity is turning a blind eye to reality.

All words, none of the substance...

Kinda became a rule: believer throws huge word salad, pile of philosophical rambling.