Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The Arecibo message and The Arecibo reply

Kt_Atis

In case some of you don't know about the Arecibo message, it was a radio message that was beamed into space at a ceremony to mark the remodeling of the Arecibo radio telescope in 1974. Dr. Frank Drake, then at Cornell University and creator of the famous Drake equation, wrote the message, with help from the late Carl Sagan, among others. Here is a picture of the Arecibo Message sent from man to the aliens. http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/comm...ibo_message.png It was thought that it would take more than 25,000 years for anyone to responde to the message. But suprise-suprise http://www.circlemakers.org/totc2001.html the "Arecibo Reply" was found in the form of a crop circle in England. My question is dose anyone think this might be a hoax? Is this the real deal or what?

Personally i think this could be a hoax but I can't say for sure.

Until they land and get off the ship to talk to us i'm going to have to go with hoax, It's sad but to many people have done stuff to make people believe we are visted to really trust anything anymore..... :angry: I believe that there is life out there that we have yet to find and i have no doubt that someday we will know the truth, But i don't think thing's like crop circle's are going to give us the knowledge we need to find it...With the technology we have today, It's going to take a landing or a mass veiwing of alot of space ship's to prove anything i fear.... :alien:

In case some of you don't know about the Arecibo message, it was a radio message that was beamed into space at a ceremony to mark the remodeling of the Arecibo radio telescope in 1974. Dr. Frank Drake, then at Cornell University and creator of the famous Drake equation, wrote the message, with help from the late Carl Sagan, among others. Here is a picture of the Arecibo Message sent from man to the aliens. http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/comm...ibo_message.png It was thought that it would take more than 25,000 years for anyone to responde to the message. But suprise-suprise http://www.circlemakers.org/totc2001.html the "Arecibo Reply" was found in the form of a crop circle in England. My question is dose anyone think this might be a hoax? Is this the real deal or what?

It depends on if the crop circle is genuine, or the work of a couple dorks who have no lives. Real crop circles have characteristics that are impossible for humans to replicate.

It depends on if the crop circle is genuine, or the work of a couple dorks who have no lives. Real crop circles have characteristics that are impossible for humans to replicate.

Says who??? Actually EVERYONE of those "CLEAN CRISP" crop circles can and have been found on the internet as computer art. Now here is the BIG ??? - ALL OF THEM have been now found to exist on the internet BEFORE they became a crop circle! Stop and think about that for a few minutes. How and why is it - that crop circles FOLLOW AFTER computer art is posted on the internet??

If these are Alien, then you have to ask this ONE BIG QUESTION: Why are they taking art off the internet created by humans?? It would seem to me - they would have their OWN ART FORMS??

Also as I have stated before on a different thread - the "Evolution" of Crop Circle art FOLLOW AFTER the "Evolution" of >OUR< computer art technology. Again you would have to ask the big question: WHY?? Why would an a supposedly "advanced race" follow our lowly Earth Based Computer Art??? :blink:

Jj -

Edited by Jjbreen
  • Like 1

One thing that may be a concern is the fact that it may be a hoax. The fact that we can't trust a majority of our own species shows that we are not ready for contact with a new form of intelligent life (this is just my own opinion). If one day, there was to be a blunt revelation of new intelligent life, different people would react different ways. Some would welcome, while some would do the opposite. If the beings "came in peace" there would still be people thinking that we'd be in danger as soon as they set foot on Earth.

I don't know what everyone else thinks but one of my big guesses as to why, if there is life out there, and if they can come to Earth but don't is:

There are many international issues among our own form of life. We see it in the news everyday. I don't want to stray too far from the thread's main subject though.

I think that this is a hoax. It's not as prominent in paranormal news as other topics.

My one question though:

Is there a source that gives an outline of what both messages mean?

Edited by Byron Sanchez

Says who??? Actually EVERYONE of those "CLEAN CRISP" crop circles can and have been found on the internet as computer art. Now here is the BIG ??? - ALL OF THEM have been now found to exist on the internet BEFORE they became a crop circle! Stop and think about that for a few minutes. How and why is it - that crop circles FOLLOW AFTER computer art is posted on the internet??

If these are Alien, then you have to ask this ONE BIG QUESTION: Why are they taking art off the internet created by humans?? It would seem to me - they would have their OWN ART FORMS??

Also as I have stated before on a different thread - the "Evolution" of Crop Circle art FOLLOW AFTER the "Evolution" of >OUR< computer art technology. Again you would have to ask the big question: WHY?? Why would an a supposedly "advanced race" follow our lowly Earth Based Computer Art??? :blink:

Jj -

Can you substantiate your claim that they have all been found on the internet as computer art before they became a crop circle?? Because I doubt you can.

Says who???

Says the fact that humans cant coat the stalks with iron oxide, or bend the stalk over without breaking it. Also they were caused to be bent over by heat blowing out the base of the plant. The real crop circles are also interwoven, not just smashed down with a board and rope.

Says the fact that humans cant coat the stalks with iron oxide, or bend the stalk over without breaking it. Also they were caused to be bent over by heat blowing out the base of the plant. The real crop circles are also interwoven, not just smashed down with a board and rope.

Are there any guesses as to why the plants would be interwoven if it was genuine? I'm just wondering why this characteristic would be one that would make a crop circle be considered legit (I honestly haven't read much about crop circles except the fundamental knowledge that everyone reads and knows about).

I also read somewhere that a "genuine" crop circle can be reproduced with the right material (though the interwoven trait was not part of this procedure). I'm not going to say too much, though, as I don't remember the source (I will explain it if I find it).

Edited by Byron Sanchez

Are there any guesses as to why the plants would be interwoven if it was genuine? I'm just wondering why this characteristic would be one that would make a crop circle be considered legit (I honestly haven't read much about crop circles except the fundamental knowledge that everyone reads and knows about).

I also read somewhere that a "genuine" crop circle can be reproduced with the right material (though the interwoven trait was not part of this procedure). I'm not going to say too much, though, as I don't remember the source (I will explain it if I find it).

Well in the real cases where the stalks are interwoven, or crossthreaded, would be too difficult or even impossible for people to do this. They would have to go through by hand which would take a good while, especially at night. Also genuine circles are not forced down by a physical object such as a board and rope, but they are bent over do to intense heat being applied to the base. This would be impossible for humans to do. Some speculate that its natural electrical forces that we do not know about yet.

Can you substantiate your claim that they have all been found on the internet as computer art before they became a crop circle?? Because I doubt you can.

Yes I can actually - Go to your local library and get the video - "CROP CIRCLES". It actually give a choronolgy of the Crop Circle Art Evolution: Month - day - year found and created.

Then do this simple 'test' - go get a book on fractal art for one. (Earliest books on them.) Note the dates. I actually did this and one better I went to a Prof. of Computer Science. (He is also a "Crop Circle Buff".) I submitted my 'observation to him. He was more then shocked that he 'missed this' but did state I was "Spot On." What clued me was the Crop Circle of the Alien Face. That WAS on the internet B/4 it was a crop circle. Also in the video there was this other "key/clue" - Two gents in the video were surprised that they had NOT seen a specific 'crop circle design' - then NOT 48 hours later (actually sooner I think) guess what the next Crop Circle was! Hmm.. :blink:

All you have to basically is find the dates of the crop circle - then find on the internet the earliest art on the internet. It did/does take a little research - but yes it IS there - very easy to see and then make you go: Why??

Jj -

I'd like to know more about the "interwoven stalks" or explanation of heat causing the stalks to bend. Any links on that info? I know that many (if not all) circles are man-made, I have just never seen any compelling evidence that they are other than man made.

Thats SO FAKE!!! And pretty funny as well. Look at the message and the reply - they've replaced the humanoid figure with a little alien. Quite cute actually. The original message is so famous, I'd have thought crop circle makers would have ripped it off sooner or later. Nicely done.

• Like 1

I believe it to be a hoax. There seems to be a circlemaker or group of circlemakers who have been creating pixelated images for the past few years. These are in sharp contrast the the mathmatical shapes and other designs that are typical of crop circles.

One of these pixelated crop circle images is an alien holding a CD. The CD has a binary-encoded message that just happens to be in ASCII! It seems like something that was more likely to have been created by computer hackers than aliens would send us a message in English encoded in ascii and binary.

Anyway I suspect that image was created by the same hoaxers who created the response message.

One thing that may be a concern is the fact that it may be a hoax. The fact that we can't trust a majority of our own species shows that we are not ready for contact with a new form of intelligent life (this is just my own opinion). If one day, there was to be a blunt revelation of new intelligent life, different people would react different ways. Some would welcome, while some would do the opposite. If the beings "came in peace" there would still be people thinking that we'd be in danger as soon as they set foot on Earth.

I don't know what everyone else thinks but one of my big guesses as to why, if there is life out there, and if they can come to Earth but don't is:

There are many international issues among our own form of life. We see it in the news everyday. I don't want to stray too far from the thread's main subject though.

I think that this is a hoax. It's not as prominent in paranormal news as other topics.

My one question though:

Here's some info about the arceiblo message on wikipedia. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arecibo_message

Those response circles look way to elaborate just for a bunch of people to make overnight

Then again, we could always attribute it to that good ol' English ingenuity! :D:lol:

Edited by Aristocrates

I feel gutted for the land owner who lost all those crops <_< , in my opinion although the crop circles are a very good representation of the Arecibo message it would be more probable that an Alien response would be in the same format as it was sent and it would contain some of the Extra Terrestrials knowledge otherwise we would not be able to say with any certainty if it was Aliens who composed the reply or not.

• Like 1

Those response circles look way to elaborate just for a bunch of people to make overnight

Then again, we could always attribute it to that good ol' English ingenuity! :D:lol:

That was my original thought too. But then I realized that if you had drawn it out on a piece of graph paper ahead of time, and divided the field into a grid with ropes, you can systematically go and flatten the squares representing whitespace.

Still a lot of work, but it seems simpler than some of the mandlebrots and other geometric shapes that have appeared.

Yeah, that sequence is some of my favorite sh**. I think it's really important to be aware of how sophisticated the "corporate crop circles" have been. There's crop glyphs that are ad campaigns which are just as sophisticated as these were. (Of course, it's possible that aliens are being hired by cellular phone service providers, I won't rule that out.)

Anyways, we did a series on this sequence.

First part:

http://www.brainsturbator.com/index.php/br...les_part_three/

Second part:

http://www.brainsturbator.com/index.php/br...into_the_weird/

Cell phone crop circle ads:

linked-image

• 2 months later...
Yes I can actually - Go to your local library and get the video - "CROP CIRCLES". It actually give a choronolgy of the Crop Circle Art Evolution: Month - day - year found and created.

Then do this simple 'test' - go get a book on fractal art for one. (Earliest books on them.) Note the dates. I actually did this and one better I went to a Prof. of Computer Science. (He is also a "Crop Circle Buff".) I submitted my 'observation to him. He was more then shocked that he 'missed this' but did state I was "Spot On." What clued me was the Crop Circle of the Alien Face. That WAS on the internet B/4 it was a crop circle. Also in the video there was this other "key/clue" - Two gents in the video were surprised that they had NOT seen a specific 'crop circle design' - then NOT 48 hours later (actually sooner I think) guess what the next Crop Circle was! Hmm.. :blink:

. It did/does take a little research - but yes it IS there - very easy to see and then make you go: Why??

Jj -

I am very interested in your reply but it seems vague. Which fractal art book? Who is the Prof. of Computer Science? Where on the internet was the alien face? I have seen the video "Crop Circles" and i don't know what you are refering to (who published the video you saw?). You write: "All you have to basically is find the dates of the crop circle - then find on the internet the earliest art on the internet" -what does that mean? where on the internet?

-RK

Says who???

Here you go Jjbreen.

Clickie linkie.

Educate yourself. Eigth post down. Your circle makers might be able to duplicate one or two of these features, but not all of them.

Edited by Osirian

• 6 years later...

I find the Arecibo reply very scary. Firstly I believe in Aliens/extraterrestrials creating most crop circles that are simply too complicated and large to be created by the "stupid" Doug and Daves from this earthly population. That huge crop circle at Milk Hill completed during one night, when it was pouring with rain all night, in my opinion, cannot be proven to be done by humans. So for me, aliens exist and they are sending us friendly crop circle messages. When amazing fractal piccies appear which are beautiful, the aliens are portraying something to us which is "natural". ASCII code is not natural. It's an invention by humans to allow us to code letters of the alphabet and other non alphabetic characters using 8 bits of zeroes or ones (actually 7 bits but our computers are based upon the 8 bit bytes). So my fear is like this. How come these aliens understand our coding? I guess most people will say this tends towards humans making up the Arecibo reply, but I don't believe that. The only thing that makes sense to me is that these aliens have a far more detailed knowledge of us than we realise. And that's scary.

Edited by GhostOfDinosaurs

QUOTE(Kt_Atis @ Feb 4 2007, 07:15 PM) 1529314[/snapback]

My one question though:

Has anyone considered the possibility that if it was created by man it was done so at the direction and insistence of something else?

As is the latest thinking about the crop circle phenomena in general.

http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=260122entry5030548

The reply message duplicated the general format of the message sent out from the Arecibo radio astronomy observatory. There were a number of differences in the details, which ostensively convey information about an extraterrestrial species. Some of these are quite technical, involving DNA, nucleotides, and the means of conveying the reply message.

The purported height of the ETs is given as about 3 &1/2 feet (101 cm). Their general physique is represented as large headed and small bodied, relative to human beings.

The diagram appears to assert that they occupy the third, forth, and fifth planets of their solar system, the latter being the largest. These planets seem to circle a star substantially smaller than our own. The total population of the three planets is represented as about 12 and three quarter billion.

Edited by bison
  • Like 1

The reply message duplicated the general format of the message sent out from the Arecibo radio astronomy observatory. There were a number of differences in the details, which ostensively convey information about an extraterrestrial species. Some of these are quite technical, involving DNA, nucleotides, and the means of conveying the reply message.

The purported height of the ETs is given as about 3 &1/2 feet (101 cm). Their general physique is represented as large headed and small bodied, relative to human beings.

The diagram appears to assert that they occupy the third, forth, and fifth planets of their solar system, the latter being the largest. These planets seem to circle a star substantially smaller than our own. The total population of the three planets is represented as about 12 and three quarter billion.

Never mind all that.

Are they liberal or conservative?