Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Credentials

eqgumby

Hello!

I’m almost 38 years old, married, with 3 kids. I grew up in Tel Aviv, moved to France a few years back. I like: my loved ones (my 4 angels), family and friends; my job; travelling, astronomy, gardening, painting/drawing, classical music, art history, ceramology, etc. I dislike: dishonesty, racism, hypocrisy. As for credentials: I received my PhD in anthropology from Tel Aviv University, and my PhD in Egyptian Archaeology from the ENS in Paris. I taught epigraphy at the University of Montpellier. I’m currently on archaeological assignment/projects. That’s it for me. I’m glad to be here. See you folks ;)

Feel free to hit up the ancient civilization boards. They chat up Egypt quite a bit. Make sure you put your credentials in a signature or make them clear. Personally, I think it's great to have a PhD on board.

Jack of all trades, master of none. B)

• 3 months later...

61, two daughters, wife, dog, no cats.

Baptized Lutheran, raised Methodist and Presbyterian, convinced Quaker. Thinking gradually evolving toward agnosticism/atheism.

Forestry researcher, currently specializing in ice storms and how they affect forests; interest in how trees and forests respond to damage/injury; interest in forests and climate change.

Graduate of Kent State; knew several of the principals personally. Degrees from Kent, Univeristy of Idaho, Colorado State. Ph.D. in Environmental Science.

30 years in service forestry, mostly Colorado. Three years as a forestry consultant. Eight years in research. Published.

Spent two years researching the Bible (Moses and the Exodus). Make large (4'X6') hooked rug "paintings." Play the bagpipe.

That's it in a nutshell. If you want to know more, ask.

Doug

wow Doug! Cool research!

shortly after I bought my house, an ice storm took out every tree on my property, it was quite amazing. Two 110' Doug firs lost ALL their boughs (creating a pile more than 9ft high in my driveway) and they looked like two GIANT toothpicks. I had to take them down. I also lost a thundering plum which landed ON my house, and a 70 year Weeping Willow as well. The ice storm actually froze the inside of the willow's trunk which caused it to split and nearly "explode" ... weirdest darn thing I'd ever seen.

Since then, I've replaced my trees (which I have to do according to city law, this is Seattle. lol) and I replaced them with a moon maple, two pin oaks, and a cherry tree. LOL. Something that won't crush my house in the event of another storm. LOL

Jack of all trades, master of none. B)

What!? I thought you were a master at one-handed grilling (need the other hand for the beer)! :P

wow Doug! Cool research!

shortly after I bought my house, an ice storm took out every tree on my property, it was quite amazing. Two 110' Doug firs lost ALL their boughs (creating a pile more than 9ft high in my driveway) and they looked like two GIANT toothpicks. I had to take them down. I also lost a thundering plum which landed ON my house, and a 70 year Weeping Willow as well. The ice storm actually froze the inside of the willow's trunk which caused it to split and nearly "explode" ... weirdest darn thing I'd ever seen.

Since then, I've replaced my trees (which I have to do according to city law, this is Seattle. lol) and I replaced them with a moon maple, two pin oaks, and a cherry tree. LOL. Something that won't crush my house in the event of another storm. LOL

I am working with shortleaf pine. Out of nearly 7000 trees, only three have lost all their branches. Apparently has something to do with branch structure.

I got closely-acquainted with an ice storm several years ago. Had a branch come through my roof. Stopped about three feet above my daughter's bed. Gave her quite a thrill.

BTW: Are you a member of PYM by any chance?

Doug

I am working with shortleaf pine. Out of nearly 7000 trees, only three have lost all their branches. Apparently has something to do with branch structure.

I got closely-acquainted with an ice storm several years ago. Had a branch come through my roof. Stopped about three feet above my daughter's bed. Gave her quite a thrill.

BTW: Are you a member of PYM by any chance?

Doug

Nope, I'm NWYM :)

Almost 20, live with a boyfriend, a cat and a dog. Qualified youth counsellor, going to uni next year to study Psychology.

That's about it. I'm a boring person :ph34r:

What!? I thought you were a master at one-handed grilling (need the other hand for the beer)! :P

We all have our hidden talents. B)

Okay i'm 22 years old and happily married with my own house, eight fish and one bird, had one child but it was a stillbirth :( i graduated from high school then went on to college where i got a degree in teaching. Also have a diploma in children's education :) yeah nothing exciting going on now. that's my credentials :)

<QueenoftheFairies>

Edited by Queenofthefairies

I'm 29, engaged and getting married this summer in Scotland. Live with my fiance, 1 degu (he's getting friends soon), 1 chinchilla, and 8 cats. I have an English Degree and a Religious Studies degree from McMaster University. I'm currently pursuing my Human Resources Management Certificate. I'm a Human Resources Information Systems Administrator.

My family moved to a small 3 acre farm when I was 12. The house was built in 1890, and nothing on earth could convince me it is not haunted. Weird things happen there, not just to me, but to my parents as well (mostly my mum). That's where my interest in the paranormal started. I'm pseudo-interested in history, which means I hated it in school when it seemed like we just had to memorize a bunch of names and dates, but I do enjoy learning about different cultures from different times, and what challenges they faced, etc.

I was raised Catholic. We didn't go to church but I did go to a Catholic school. Currently, I'm agnostic. I believe in the Big Bang and evolution, but am open to the concept that there could be a higher being, not neccessarily a "creator" but a being/beings who are more advanced/intelligent than humans. This could be a god/gods, or aliens. Or there could be nothing.

My biggest struggle is wondering where the materials that caused the Big Bang came from. If not a god, than where? I'm not well educated in the sciences, so I don't know how often things appear out of nowhere. I'm sure it happens, but not sure if it could happen on the scale which caused the Big Bang. I wouldn't say I'm searching for answers, but if you've got any, feel free to share :)

• 2 months later...

I guess its about time I posted a little tidbit up here.

My name is Chris, im in my late 20's, im 6'0 and about 190. I am prior service military (army) 31r, 21b, 91y... I have been involved in the "Security" field for a quite a while though now adays, im a little less hands on... hehe. I work as a consultant and training officer for 2 large physical/IT security firms. I have studied many different types of theology, and I prefer to stick with the one I have in the back of my head, I dont follow any book really. I have a large interest in the paranormal, and I feel I have experienced things during my time on earth. My hot topics are demonology and crytozoology. Would anyone like to know anything else?

I guess its about time I posted a little tidbit up here.

My name is Chris, im in my late 20's, im 6'0 and about 190. I am prior service military (army) 31r, 21b, 91y... I have been involved in the "Security" field for a quite a while though now adays, im a little less hands on... hehe. I work as a consultant and training officer for 2 large physical/IT security firms. I have studied many different types of theology, and I prefer to stick with the one I have in the back of my head, I dont follow any book really. I have a large interest in the paranormal, and I feel I have experienced things during my time on earth. My hot topics are demonology and crytozoology. Would anyone like to know anything else?

Shoe size?

• 1 month later...

I am a boy of 15 years old and currently lives in the United Arab Emirates.I like drawing and writing.I find myself intrested in both normal and paranormal activities.I like cahtting with friends and interacting with people of different culture.I like to taste their cusine and experience their culture and know more about them and ther relgion ,faith and all those things.I like to travel a lot and I have a compasion for pasenger jets.My favourite writer is PB Shelly and my favourite poem is Ode to the West wind.It is so beautiful that sense faints while describing it(his own sentence used in the poem)

Good thread

Thanks for posting

B???

• 3 weeks later...

I am female 25 years old. plump and Single. Work two jobs one in pathology the other pharmacy. Hope to return to school next year and do a lab diploma. I am a big movie person not a buff but i break up my year based on release dates of movies lol. I have an interest in the paranormal and history. I also like those funny bizarre stories. I have two cats who i call my boys so now everyone thinks i have a 15yr old and 7 month old kid. Other then that i hope to travel around Australia (where i am from) and yeah thats it

I'm going to ask people to post a little here about their personal background and credentials.

The reason is because all too often folks talk about a subject like they know what they are saying. Sometimes it's because they do, others, not so much.

So post your background here, education, etc. then make a link of it and post it in your signature. That way, if you tell someone how to exorcise a demon, we can look at your sig link, and maybe read that you're a priest that has performed dozens of these ceremonies.

Keep it honest if you really want to have a discussion and not be dismissed as a kook. Nothing overly personal needed, just some basics. I'll do one.

Received a bachelor's degree from the University of Liverpool in Language Sciences with a specialty in the ancient languages of the middle east.

Vietnam started.

Received a masters degree in the same field.

Vietnam continued.

Received a doctorate with a specialty in Middle Eastern ancient languages (still language science).

Vietnam continued

Changed major and received a bachelors in classic philosophies.

Vietnam continued

Masters degree classic philosophies.

Vietnam continued

Second doctorate in Classical Philosophies.

Drafted before I could enroll again.

United States Marines, Vietnam.

Never worked in the field of my studies.

Author of 14 books, one became a movie.

A liberal, I left the U.S. with the announcement that George Bush would be a candidate for president.

I have lived in Italy, England, France, Germany, Switzerland, U.S., Honduras, El Salvador and now Mexico.

I bought a 410-year-old home and restored it.

I am currently working on a new book that is supposed to come out in July of 2010.

I am a widower and live with two dogs, Oliver and Olivia.

Received a bachelor's degree from the University of Liverpool in Language Sciences with a specialty in the ancient languages of the middle east.

*snip for space*

So what are the books? Genre, Titles? Any hints?

So what are the books? Genre, Titles? Any hints?

I have sent you this information by private message.

I am 25 years old and I am currently finishing up my BA in Spanish, my minor is in Anthropology. I will be getting my MEd in teaching a second language. All the courses that I am taking (and have taken) have a stong emphasis on cultures and languages. I will be working in both education and immigration after I complete university.

I live in Canada and have been living here since I was three years old. I've never travelled back to my native countries (Costa Rica and Nicaragua) and I was planning to this summer, but can't due to work. Sadly, I will be travelling to Spain before I ever get a chance to see where I come from. My second home is Miami, Florida where my entire extended family reside.

I volunteer for an immigrant settlement and integration agency. I also am a member of the social justice club at school. I really am passionate about helping people in one way or another and learning about different cultures. And thanks to my Anthropology background, I am quite culturally relative.

I have seen and heard a ghost and it didn't frighten me. Instead, it intrigued me more so!!

I love horror films and my one of my favourites is John Carpentar's Prince of Darkness.

My mother is really sensitive to the paranormal and she has experienced a lot.

I was raised a Roman Catholic, but I've questioned the religion and its beliefs since I was a child. I got in a lot of trouble for it, even kicked out of my religous studies class in high school. I am now agnostic and consider myself spiritual. I am very open-minded, but I try to explain things rationally first.

Edited by FallenAngel84

• 4 weeks later...
I have sent you this information by private message.

I wanna know too!!!!

• 2 months later...

Hi, I'm going to lurk for a while. Spent 45 minutes doing an intro then pressed the wrong key and Pffft all gone!

36 years young (yeah, right, young!), got my GED at 19 from Rogers State College (now University) in Claremore in northeast Oklahoma, have some college, mostly basics and a few electives like Psychology 101 (took last year). Don't know my IQ unless you trust internet tests (which I don't) that generally say I have 140 (I don't think so, Tim). Did my Composition I thesis, "Legacy of the Overseers" over UFO's, but only because "Bob" took alien abduction, which I had planned on doing.

I worked as an office assistant for a few years, for a software/programming and telephone interactive-voice-response (IVR) business.

Entered customer data for the local gas company for about a year

Edited, printed telemarketer labels, did mailouts and data entry for the Senior World newspaper

Laundry attendant for a few years for $2.00/hour 6 days a week, and also at another laundry also for $2.00/hour.

Night auditor/clerk for a local Days Inn hotel from about '97 to 2001.

Bookkeeper and payroll, financial/computer, editing, creating restaurant menus, taxes

Front desk cashier for restaurant

So obviously, no degrees and no related or relevant jobs of any real practical application, leaving me only with my basic talents and interests, such as sketching/drawing, various computer-related activities - spreadsheets, documents, PDFs, Paintshop Pro, and paranormal discussions/reading, including by pioneers of "psychical research", with older books being by:

Harry Price

William James (Sr. and Jr.)

Dr. Joseph Banks Rhine (Founder of the parapsychology lab at Duke U)

Henry Sedgwik (Co founder of the Foundation for Psychical Research)

Edmund Gurney (Co founder of the Foundation for Psychical Research)

Professor Charles Richet (Discoverer of Ectoplasm)

Sir Oliver Lodge

Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

Eileen J. Garrett

Madame Helena Petrova Blavatsky

Colin Wilson

F.W.H. Myers

J. Gaither Pratt

William G. Roll

Harry Price

Nandor Fodor

Charles Forte

D. Scott Rogo

Also have read H.P. Lovecraft (ok, not relevant but the themes are paranormal), a number of 90's Llewelyn Press "new age" books.

Have friends into: hermetic magic and occultism (Crowley etc) and Satanism (LaVey), herbalism, shamanism, UFOs and alien abduction, Mason/Illuminati, astrology, spirit contact/channeling, ghosts and "ghost-hunting", astral travel and remote viewing, physics (anti-matter theory), journalism, sociology and psychology, hypnosis, past life regression, radionics and auras, dowsing, etc.

Personal-wise, I was in a group from about '94 to '98, the friends mentioned above, which read and discussed various topics:

"ghost hunting", taking pictures and investigating cemeteries and graveyards

went to a New Age Church and bookstore

have had (and done for others) hypnosis and past life regressions

used Ouija board every weekend for about 4 years ("guide" was a Valley Girl, fer sure)

did banishment/exorcism and "crossing overs" for a number of spirits

automatic writing, channeling

creative visualization

finding my spirit guide

finding my spirit animal/totem

numerology

pendulum, dowsing

prayer, created "thoughtform device" to siphon people's energy, arguable success

went to Hornet, Missouri "Spooklight" a number of times

invited on OK City walk-through of "haunted" abandoned hospital

Computer/Internet-wise:

First computer was Tandy, second was Commodore 128

Next was 2mhz AT (Turbo switch doubled speed to 4Mhz), DOS 4, pre-Windows

Coding/programming in Qbasic, Pascal, PHP, HTML, Visual Basic, VBScript

Created(coded) wrestling simulators, random generators, Undead Hunger zombie simulator, Halloween movie simulator, Hot Dog Vendor simulator

Founded, maintained Professional Wrestling Simulator Enthusiast website, indexing all free text-based wrestling simulators, nexus for the "sim community"

Moderator, IHateClowns

Moderator, Unexplained Mysteries

That's about all I can think of that is really relevant as credentials.

QUOTE (eqgumby @ Feb 9 2007, 04:14 AM) I'm going to ask people to post a little here about their personal background and credentials.

The reason is because all too often folks talk about a subject like they know what they are saying. Sometimes it's because they do, others, not so much.

So post your background here, education, etc. then make a link of it and post it in your signature. That way, if you tell someone how to exorcise a demon, we can look at your sig link, and maybe read that you're a priest that has performed dozens of these ceremonies.

Keep it honest if you really want to have a discussion and not be dismissed as a kook. Nothing overly personal needed, just some basics. I'll do one.

Vietnam started.

Received a masters degree in the same field.

Vietnam continued.

Received a doctorate with a specialty in Middle Eastern ancient languages (still language science).

Vietnam continued

Changed major and received a bachelors in classic philosophies.

Vietnam continued

Masters degree classic philosophies.

Vietnam continued

Second doctorate in Classical Philosophies.

Drafted before I could enroll again.

United States Marines, Vietnam.

Never worked in the field of my studies.

Author of 14 books, one became a movie.

A liberal, I left the U.S. with the announcement that George Bush would be a candidate for president.

I have lived in Italy, England, France, Germany, Switzerland, U.S., Honduras, El Salvador and now Mexico.

I bought a 410-year-old home and restored it.

I am currently working on a new book that is supposed to come out in July of 2010.

What did you have for breakfast? tongue.gif

• 9 months later...

I am 23 years old, married with a daughter

-wife has a degree in archeology

-I am a infantryman in the U.S. Army.

-Ive seen 1 UFO (floating triangle with 3 big lights that didnt project illumination? UFO!)

-Ive seen a few ghosts in person (or something that I think are ghosts)

-My mother has seen ghosts (most clearly my great grandfather standing over me when I was sick telling her I'll be alright)

- I love to camp, I love firearms and am an avid collector and operator through the military

-I have done a few amature ghost huntings in various locations (cemeteries, businesses etc)

-I sleep walk/talk alot

Not an expert on anything (accept marksmanship with a few weapons :angry: )