Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The Boston Strangler - Albert De Salvo

Guest kem69uk

Guest kem69uk

I watched a documentary last night (UK) that claims that Albert De Salvo was NOT the Boston Strangler and that it was 2 other unidentified murderers that carried out the killings since 2 different mo's were used. After listening to the documentary and also that one of the women killed was exhumed for DNA purposes - additional DNA was found on the womans pubic area and did NOT match Albert's DNA. Albert came forth and said he was the killer - but various psychologists/crime writers/lawyers have read the police transcripts which clearly show that Albert was lead in the interviews as in the police would say things and he would just agree. Albert was never tried in a court of law - he was just banged up and the Boston police breathed a sigh of relief as they had been trying for a year to catch the killer or killers so were quite happy to let Albert take the rap. The police had 2 other people under investigation but dropped them when Albert came forth. Descriptions from witnesses of a man hanging around the apartments of the killed women did NOT match Alberts description. Albert had a string of sex offences to his name and had already done time - alot of his victims said he polite and gentle and always said sorry - he started out as the The Tape Measure offender then became the Green Man as he always wore a green jacket - then in between if your to believe the police he became a psychopath - which was not his nature - serial killer do not act mild in offences then murderous then mild - serial killers are just psychopaths or sociopaths fool stop. A lawyer is currently asking the Attorney General to re-open the case and examine the evidence that was collected but he's refusing. After 40yrs i would think they would want the matter cleared once and for all. But not so - various people believe the reason is because the police/lawyers involved who made names for themselves would look bad (which they should) - Albert believed he was being drugged and told his family this - he called his psychiatrist on the night he died to say he needed to see him urgently - some believe to recant his confession - that night someone got past 3 armed guards and stabbed him 16 times - some believe this was to stop him telling the truth that he was innocent. So did he do it or not? Should they re-open the case and maybe find the true killers? Let me know what you think?

Well Kem i saw this documentary too and i think you have a valid point there and i do think there is enough uncertainty to re-open this case, and reinvestigate this case. I think that the current attorney general and the american government has a duty to ease the minds of the victims families and Alberts and put this case to rest once and for all!!!!!The truth is out there....... :yes:

I agree- the truth is out there. I believe the system was rushing to clear the case (for apparent reasons) and was all to eager to twist and turn the facts to suit their propaganda. Too bad though, the real fellows got off too easy...

• 11 months later...
I agree- the truth is out there. I believe the system was rushing to clear the case (for apparent reasons) and was all to eager to twist and turn the facts to suit their propaganda. Too bad though, the real fellows got off too easy...

Innocent!

The case doesn't look like it was handled properly, I doubt they will reopen it but I think they should consider it

I have researched the case, read the books, actually amateurly worked a case near my hometown. Bangor Maine had a strangling, and detectives from Boston were sent up. The lead detective actually sent a memo back that he believed this strangling was linked to the older sets of stranglings, before he went to work for F. Lee Bailey. I have even been in contact with the nephew of the murdered woman. I believe the stranglings were committed by at least 2 if not more. I have posted a page on my website to the Bangor strangling it might be worth a look for those wondering if the case should be reopened. When they dug up Disalvo his DNA didn't match Sullivans murderer, ruling him out for at least 1 of this confessed murders. I believe Disalvo was the measuring man and the green man rapist. I believe, he gave one old lady a heart attack when breaking in to rob her. I'm not so sure about the 11 or so others. Visit My Website

They won't re-open it because the detectives involved would look like fools if they did.....

Hi i am new here,my name is marios,i am 16 y old and this is my first post in the forums.

I've made a reaserch about the boston strangler like a month ago wanted to find my self is DeSalvo was indeed the boston strangler.

As a result of the research i believe that Desalvo was not the Boston Strangler based on many facts but mostly because:

Desalvo was the No1 suspect -and at the end charged responsible -for the murders mainly because he was able to tell details about the crime scenes like that a pac of cigs was dropped under a table( the small one that you put the lights on next to the bed. dont know the english word tho)

During the search i found that a newspapper called " The American Records" had a chart with EVERY ddetail about how the murders were done and how the crime scene was-with every little detail- and so i believe tha Albert Desalvo had memorized the charts and could bring it up to his memory when asked to answer questions.Also all his lawyers agreed that he had a remarkable great memory capability, wich explains his ability to memorize the chart, while his IQ meter was bit less than average,wich means that he could not possibly remember every detail abou the victims and the crime scenes.

The thing that indicates that i could be right is that in his confession Desalvo also desrcibes the details that the "American Records" had posted when they dint existed.This means that apart from the correct details Desalvo also described details that were not correct but were exacly the same as the newspapper was mistakenly wrote them.

This makes us be almost sure that he just memorized the chart from "The American Records" as even the wrong informations were confested.

On the other hand he would abosrb more informations about the way the victims were killed-with all details- by the "Strangler Bureau"that published the victims autopsies.

While all this indicate that he is no the killer we also know that he was a burgler,he could easily go into the victims house so he could gain more infos about the place.

Also when told his Lawyer if he would be happy to get the biggest story of the time he also asked if the story would give his family money,something that an honest broken man would do, meaning that he could bury his life for his family having a better life, even with out him.

Also during his confesion Desalvo was looking like he was looking onto a script with everything,as he dint stopped to think for once any detail that we would normaly rethink since time would pass and we wouldnt be 100% sure about small details in a large area like the cime scenes.Police speculated that George Nassar was one of the other susspects that guieded Desalvo so he could get away.

Also police experts never though it was one-man-job since strungles had many differences.

o similarity whatsoever exists between the relatively delicate killing of Patricia Bissette, whose murderer tucked her into bed, and the ghastly homicidal violation inflicted on Mary Sullivan, whose killer's intent was not just to degrade his victim by shoving a broom handle into her vagina but to taunt the discoverer of her corpse by placing a greeting card against her foot. Beverly Samans was stabbed but not sexually assaulted; Joann Graff was raped vaginally and strangled. Evelyn Corbin had performed —probably under duress — oral sex on her killer. Jane Sullivan was dumped facedown to rot in a bathtub. Ida Irga was left in the living room with her legs spread out and propped up on a chair.

Serial killers tend to select and stick with a particular kind of victim. For example, Jack the Ripper picked prostitutes; Ted Bundy picked pretty, longhaired young girls; Jeff Dahmer young boys, etc. The strangling victims represent a wide disparity in age and attractiveness and race which flies in the face of serial killer profiling expertise. A very likely explanation is that some of the crimes were committed by one individual, especially the murders of Ida Irga, Jane Sullivan and Helen.

The only murder that Desalvo seemed to be guilty was the Mary Mullen murder.An elderly woman that died from a heart attack,and Desalvo, always theoriticaly,would be guilty for it cuz, always theoriticaly,he broke into her appartment and the old lady suffered a heart attack when she saw a burgler in her house.

Also the The Mary Brown affair raised some interesting questions. She had been raped, strangled and beaten to death in Lawrence in early March of 1963. Albert's confession to this crime was very sketchy and many of the details were incorrect. Perhaps, Albert had been told about this crime from the Bridgewater inmate who was really responsible. Kelly says Mary Brown lived on the same street as the man that George Nassar shot to death in 1948.

Thats from my infos :) cu around guys

• 5 years later...

50 years later, DNA found on discarded bottle may link self-confessed Boston Strangler to last victim

Boston authorities have secured a search warrant to exhume the body of Albert DeSalvo, the confessed Boston Strangler who terrorized the city in the 1960s, to confirm a newly released DNA that links him to the rape and killing of his believed final victim.

Mary Sullivan was 19 years old when she was brutally raped and killed in her Boston bedroom in 1964 The only link between DeSalvo and Sullivan's murder was his confession, which was subject of controversy since there was no hard evidence.

That was until today.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/07/11/possible-significant-development-in-boston-strangler-case-report-says/

• Like 1

That's going to be something if they find out he didn't do it. He was in jail already being accused of rape when he said he did it. I wonder if there were any more murders after he had been arrested.

50 years later, DNA found on discarded bottle may link self-confessed Boston Strangler to last victim

Boston authorities have secured a search warrant to exhume the body of Albert DeSalvo, the confessed Boston Strangler who terrorized the city in the 1960s, to confirm a newly released DNA that links him to the rape and killing of his believed final victim.

Mary Sullivan was 19 years old when she was brutally raped and killed in her Boston bedroom in 1964 The only link between DeSalvo and Sullivan's murder was his confession, which was subject of controversy since there was no hard evidence.

That was until today.

http://www.foxnews.c...se-report-says/

I just saw this on CNN a few minutes ago....

http://www.cnn.com/2013/07/11/justice/massachusetts-boston-strangler/index.html

One of the country's most notorious serial killers, the Boston Strangler, has been conclusively identified by Massachusetts authorities after the suspect's body was exhumed and his DNA compared to evidence left at his last crime scene, police announced today.

Police said today that DNA from Albert DeSalvo, the longtime suspect in the string of rapes and murders committed by the Strangler, matched that of evidence left at the crime scene of the Strangler's final victim.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/boston-strangler-dna-matched-suspect/story?id=19712920

• Like 2