Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The Taos Hum

Owlscrying

Some residents and visitors in the small city of Taos, New Mexico, have for years been annoyed and puzzled by a mysterious and faint low-frequency hum in the desert air. Oddly, only about 2 percent of Taos residents report hearing the sound. Some believe it is caused by unusual acoustics; others suspect mass hysteria or some secret, sinister purpose. Whether described as a whir, hum, or buzz—and whether psychological, natural, or supernatural—no one has yet been able to locate the sound’s origin.

http://www.livescience.com

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Clobhair-cean

• magnetar

• Owlscrying

• NightWyvern

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Did not know about this. Thanks. The other day, I was reading about meteors, and the effects they can produce- especially particulate residue. I noticed an article on the accoustic reponses they can produce in the atmosphere. People occasionally hear a bolide explode, but I never considered other subtle effects.

As for me, I get instantly and uncomfortably quesey from low cycle sounds- automotive engines, helicopters, and boom-boom music. I hate bad music, anyway. :P

I read into it while ago, and found this site, which gives a rather plausible explanation.