Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

'Flying' in your sleep may be a paralysis

UM-Bot

user posted image rPeople who have out-of-body experiences, such as flying along a tunnel towards a heavenly light, are more likely to suffer a strange effect called sleep paralysis, according to a survey that adds to mounting evidence for a biological explanation for the experience.

During sleep paralysis, people experience a kind of breakdown between states of consciousness which takes place on the fringe of sleep, either when falling asleep or waking.

news icon View: Full Article | Source: Telegraph

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• UM-Bot

• Brilliant One

• aiaiai93

• Aaron Whisman

This has always been an interesting topic to me and this article cleared some things up I didn't know about. Nice post. ^_^

Concerning this statement: "backs the idea that the near-death experience is a biological experience, rather than anything to do with a spiritual dimension, a glimpse of heaven or the existence of the soul" - it's funny to me that it is assumed that a biological experience means it has to be separate from the more subtle dimensions. What is the body, after all, but a bridge to more esoteric awareness.

Omg my grandma once told of a nighmare she once had....i dont really remember it that well..but she saw a demon riding a horse, and she felt a heavy weight on her chest...

Maybe this is purely a biological phenomena and then again maybe it is Not.

This phenomena is far and beyond the realm of 3-D physics and physical science, as we currently understand it.

All I can say is that the etheral "out -of-body-state", can be experienced either with or without (lucid dreaming), full waking consciousness.

Once the "fear - factor" is overcome, one can literally "See", "Hear" and experience the separation of the etheral, non - physical body, Soul, conscioiusness, et al. from the physical body. The only thing one cannot experience, so far as I can attest is tactile sensation.

So ~ maybe it is all hallucination, the mind gone hay-wire, playing tricks, but when one is no longer physical and yet can see one's physical-form, lying prone upon the bed, then upon staring into a mirror, seeing "No" reflection ... go question the Laws of Thermo-Dynamics. When a physical consciousness / Soul, can bump against a solid wooden-door repeatedly and finally gain access through it, to the outside of door and stare upward at a starry night, or broad daylight ... go ask Conventional Science, don't ask me.

If "String - Therory" (and the upcoming Hedron Collider), can purport eleven or more dimensions, paralell to this physical eathly 3-D dimension, we call waking, physical reality ... who am I to say 'yea or nay' on this subject.

There is more to know than I will ever know in this Lifetime.

• 4 years later...

Oh i feel like this sometimes in sleep and don't know what the reason is...Sometimes i fly during sleep and really bothers me when i wake up and dont like such a dream at all ! it really disturbs !

The demonic gibberish part was interesting to me, I think I experienced that once in a dream. I don't believe in Demons, never really even give them much thought. I couldn't see anything, but I heard very "evil" feeling, angry, negative gibberish. It was strong and I remember trying very hard to block it out. I was scared I was hearing voices and losing my mind.

• 4 weeks later...

I always fly in my sleep. I've become very rational about it as well. It's a hovering sort of flying like trying to control a kite that rises in the sky. I have to take a running leap into the air and sort of surf. On the waves of air, until I am high enough. Then I can control it. I don't fly fast, more of a hovering. It's never a bad thing to me. It's actually cool.

I always fly in my sleep. I've become very rational about it as well. It's a hovering sort of flying like trying to control a kite that rises in the sky. I have to take a running leap into the air and sort of surf. On the waves of air, until I am high enough. Then I can control it. I don't fly fast, more of a hovering. It's never a bad thing to me. It's actually cool.

i fly the exact same way. i also run super fast sometimes, jump and hang in the air too. there is no way that sleep paralysis causes this as i have experienced that too. i wonder who comes up with some of these studies. it reminds me of the lame duck experiments called the "god" helmet (see google). they made this helmet that controls EM radiation and they can cause people to believe they are seeing things. the problem with their research is (like this research) is that how do we know if the things people are see are really there and the helmet actually allows them to see or be aware of them?

I once spent about 6 months doing allsorts of stuff involving white noise and sensory deprivation...in order to force an out of the body experience

Ive experienced - even induced this paralysis while very deeply relaxed, practicing auto genics, yet mentally aware, the first couple of times I had a real struggle to shake it off and was scared as just couldnt move nor open my eyes or make any sound..

But inline with what id been reading, this was a normal state to experience when trying to project.. along with feeling like your spinning down a spiral, and a vibrating hammering sound in my ears, all of which was very very weird and frightening

I gave up my practices, but know without doubt the paralysis should lead to an astral projection