Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Owlscrying

Toygers

15 posts in this topic

linked-image

Its hypnotic eyes and threatening stalk make the tiger one of the most captivating animals on the planet.

It used to be that people could only catch a glimpse of the creature in the wilds of the jungle or behind bars at the zoo.

Not anymore. Thanks to animal enthusiast and breeder Judy Sugden, fans of the feline can now take home a miniature version of a tiger.

She's created a batch of domestic cats that look like tigers. They're called "toygers" — short for "toy tigers."

There are 350 registered toygers and 25 toyger breeders worldwide. Sugden has been breeding toygers for 15 years in Southern California.

With circular markings, white fur around its eyes and striping down its side, the cats look like tiny versions of their ferocious kin. But toygers are only bred to look like tigers — they don't share the same genetic makeup.

"It has no tiger blood in it whatsoever," Sugden said.

Though toygers don't come from tigers, they possess the same genes as another wild animal: the Asian leopard cat.

Sugden said that might explain why toygers were good hunters and moved like predators.

"Like a big cat, we want it to do that prowling look," she said. "We want you to have something in your house that reminds you of the wild."

Toygers aren't cheap. The designer cat can cost between $800 and $4,000. Tiger enthusiasts may want to start saving up — Sugden said that with a few more years of breeding, her toygers will look even more like the real deal, with shorter ears, smaller eyes, a bigger chin and a wider nose tip.

This belongs to the Natural World sub-forum, I believe...

Well... I want one of these anyway :D

That's one expensive cat...

was undecisive as to where to post--

no matter--it's uniqueness is to be appreciated-

Well, the knock off "brands" are free, and I bet I can get one in orange!! I'll name him garfield.

^ Yep, I agree with you...and you'll have to keep it satisfied and relax all the time, and voila, you'll get garfield...

I would prefer a white one and name it Byakko, the Asian deity that guards the Western gate of heaven...

To the OP: Yes it's unique, and don't worry, perhpas the mod'll replace this thread, where we can discuss it without being dissed as non-cryptids :)

The only bad thing is that I'm allergic to cat and dogs' fur :(

Dear gods! Next thing you'll know is someone will try breeding domestic cats to have manes like lions. XD

I want a toy cougar, in silver. linked-image

ooOOoo! I want two! *squeals*

I want a toy cougar, in silver. linked-image

Phht.. get a grey abbysyrian ;P

I MUST have one or two... or five... :yes:

ooOOoo! I want two! *squeals*

Me to me to. "I shall call him squishy and he shall be mine. and he shall be my squishy "

They're pretty, but not as pretty as my twin dragons Tai and Toes. but then... I'm more into panthers than tigers.

*Wouldn't mind having one of those though*

Dear gods! Next thing you'll know is someone will try breeding domestic cats to have manes like lions. XD

now that you've mentioned it. i want TOYGERS and TOYION ( short for Toy Lion which i totally thought by myself ) . i want one i want one i want one ( this will go on for maybe 1month )