Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Dreams of dying

KBA

Ok, so.. sorry to start another dream topic, but it just so happens that for a while now I've been having an off and on nightmare if you will about my death. The funny thing is, in every nightmare I can ever recall having in my life, I die in the end, and generally in not a pleasant manner. First of all, I'd like to say I'm not posting this because I'm scared or want the dreams to stop, I am the kind of person who enjoys interesting things, negative or positive, so I'm actually quite interested in these dreams.

Here's a quick summary of a few few recent ones.

1) Meteors are falling from the sky in the morning, one hits near me, and I am burned alive.

2) I am in an upside down car in a lake, it sinks and I drown.

3) I am looking at a painting, and the girl in it starts moving and shoots me with a gun.

4) I have been, for some reason sentenced to die, and I am beheaded with a big scythe. For some reason I start laughing a few seconds before it happens.

(Not meaning to be graphic, just recalling them here)

Now, I'm just wondering, does anyone know what dreams that you die in mean? Or have any Idea? I don't have many dreams that I remember, so I find them all to be quite interesting.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Radian

• ArchVile68

• Barek Halfhand

• Lt_Ripley

Now, I'm just wondering, does anyone know what dreams that you die in mean? Or have any Idea? I don't have many dreams that I remember, so I find them all to be quite interesting.

There are many opinions when it comes to this. Maybe it's something that is occurring in your life that is triggering these dreams. Maybe the end of something? Sometimes you resurrect and the dream continues. Other times, your perspective goes from first person to third, and you see yourself die. There are many other possibilties as well.

Lots of possibilities. I have discussed in other threads a dream I had in which I died in three different ways. In the next two years i underwent each of those deaths and yet escaped them. My heart wasw cut out/ I survived a sudden triple bypass operation. I was burned alive/our house and all our possessions were lost in a major bush fire (yet thanks to a miraculous warning we escaped with minutes to spare.) I was on a mountain path which narrowed down until it was a ledge which then broke off behind me leaving me to cling to the cliff until I fell to my death ( i am still not sure if the last one relates to a condition of benign vertigo which I have since developed or if it foretold the fact that I would slowly be forced to work part time due to a combination of medical conditions.) Don't worry, thanks to 260 sick days accrued over my working life , i will be on full pay until i retire.

So the dreams may be symbolic precognition Or, the more common theory is that they are your subconscious symbolising major changes in your real life with the image of death in your dreams. As with all dreams, the more you discuss them and analyse them in your waking existence, the more they will become a part of your dream world(They are being reinforced both consciously and subconsciously. Personally i have never found dreams to be harmful, and i think you are doing the right thing in attempting to discuss, analyse and make sense of them. If you can, develop lucid dreaming techniques which may allow you both to take control of your dreams and to make sense of them.

As a child I had a recurring nightmare where, coming through a thickly wooded forest, along a narrow and overgrown path, i came to a fork in the path. As I approached the fork, a large wolf jumped down out of a tree, which was right on the fork and was itself forked. Night after night, year after year, this damn wolf jumped out ; either waking me up or eating me alive. After a few years i became more aware of dreams and symbology, and also learned how to control/create lucid dreams for myself. One night i was coming down this path, when i decided to take matters into my own hands. I pulled out a large gauge shot gun , (a 45 magnum is the dream weapon of choice, because it can destroy anything ,even mind controlling aliens, but i figured a shot gun would do the job nicely) and altered my path in the dreamscape to come up behind the wolf, who was quite visible from the rear perspective. I said "hello wolf", and as he turned around, with a very suprised look on his face, i said, "goodbye wolf" and blew him away. Needless to say I was never bothered by that dream again. I would have been 10-12 years old at the time, and had just read a science fiction novel, by a well known author, in which a young boy is troubled by dream monsters. His father equips" him with a 45 magnum in his dream, explaining in the real world that this will destroy any monsters encountered in dreams. Later in life, as a space ship captain, his ship is attacked and nearly overcome by telepathic entities which take control of the crews' minds. The captain is also almost overcome, but ,remembering his father's advice, he conjures up the image of a 45 magnum to overcome the telepathic attack. I have always been gratefullthat my father actually encouraged eclectic reading, including science fiction. Oh and I worked out for myself that the wolf represented my own fears at the looming divergences occuring in my life(represented by the fork in the woods) These included the onset of puberty, and moving from the known (primary school) to the unknown (high school) Even the narrow, windy and overgrow path could be seen as the subconscious imagery of a young person trying to make sense/find their way through the complexities of everyday life.

Edited by Mr Walker

well i had a similar dream......i had started drawing pictures of some random person gettting struck by lightening, then that night i dreamed of that picture but with some one i knew getting struck....a week later that person i knew got struck by lightening and died.

Perhaps these dreams mean that you need to start making some changes in your life.

I've dreamt I was shot a few times. creepy.

but there are 2 dreams which really got me thinking.

1. I had back in 96 about 2 months before a 1x2cm basliar aneurysm was found. I dreamt a neighbor lady ( more like my own mother really) pulled up to my house in a yellow cab. ( she herself had passed away at age 46 in 1986 ) she came up to the door ( I was watching her at the screen door in the dream) and said to me " I want you to take this ride with me." to which I said " but your dead" and woke up. then they found that aneurysm ( which they couldn't remove , but went in 2x to slow the blood flow too)( still bothersome from time to time)

2. was just a couple of weeks ago. I'm driving a gold color 4 door buick type sedan with my Grandfather who passed away in the 70's and my 91 year old still kicking Grandmother in the back seat. all of us are driving up the block and I think to myself how it will be the last time I see this block.

creepy. I hate buicks. j/k.

I've dreamt I was shot a few times. creepy.

but there are 2 dreams which really got me thinking.

Your dreams are rather profound- :hmm: if you don't mind me saying so.

i had a dream a while ago, it involved the number 175, i don't know why, i don't know how it came up, i don't know what it means...

maybe just another dream, maybe a premonition.

only time will tell...

Just last night I had a dream of a huuuuge black and red striped snake with a huuuge head bit me on the leg.... and I remember the people I were with made comments there were no antivenin for this snake's bite...I knew I faced death in this dream...

but I know this was an anxiety dream. My minds way of dealing with anxiety.... some dreams are easily understood, or explained away.. and others are not so simple.

Just last night I had a dream of a huuuuge black and red striped snake with a huuuge head bit me on the leg.... and I remember the people I were with made comments there were no antivenin for this snake's bite...I knew I faced death in this dream...

but I know this was an anxiety dream. My minds way of dealing with anxiety.... some dreams are easily understood, or explained away.. and others are not so simple.

still it would give me the creeps to dream that dream too. I like snakes , but I wonder if I'd be a bit leary of them after that.

Edited by Lt_Ripley

having dreams of dying simply means big changes in your life. changes are scary because we dont know what to expect. your very opptomistic thats why you laugh before you die. i think your change is going to be a spritual awakening of some king becaues the things you died in were all physical. good luck my freind and have fun.

I think this dreams can be some deja vu of what could happened if you was in a different situation than the present one.

I've had my share of running up on moccasins and rattlers accidently here in my part of the country my entire life- and each encounter was extremely unnerving. Moccasins are aggressive--scare the flaminig fire out of me. More so than these rattlers (timber & diamond back)... And still out of all my scary experiences with these snakes I've only dreamed about snakes two times...black widow spiders? well, Ive dreamed about those things more times than I want to remember.... I hate to dream about those.

linked-image

Edited by Sunny98

I've had a lot of death dreams since I was younger. They would scare me a lot. One night I had to sleep with my older sister. Because I didn't understand that they were just dreams. Now, I have dreams about my head being cut off. Stabbed & more. *Shivers.*

Do these dreams repeat over and over or are they all different but with same action (head being cut off for example)?

I've had dreams where I was running thru the woods, and a man with a shotgun was chasing me-shooting at me... As I reached a barbwire fence to climb over it, he shot me in back, I felt an intense blow there.... I landed, and he shot me again in the front (neck)..I felt the bullets impact and felt the blood run down my neck... I remember looking up facing the sky and top of the trees, and seeing him walk up to me..I'd barely mumble the words to him 'this (dying) isn't that bad.' :unsure:

my dreams (not SP) are often filled with monstrous constructs that fit the classic Jungian archetype, but I am often running from them in my dream, that kind of shoots the SP defence from jumping out th window theory huh?....B

further OT

got new camera.. some shots of certain local places of interst coming soon...can't promise ghost tho! ;)

Edited by Barek Halfhand

Very interesting. Do you think this could perhaps be something with a past life? I know I've had dreams before of my past life and one of those dreams dealt with me dying. I was pushed off a ledge of a building and saw myself fall and just before I hit the ground my spirit floated out of my body and than I woke up. It was very interesting because I could see people running over to help me, cars parked on the side of the road and hear the traffic and someone screaming. Have you written down your other nightmare dreams dealing with death? Maybe you could see if there's some type of pattern and there could be something with your subconsceious.

generaly death in dreams, unles a premonition, regard changes. the end of something and the beging of another. during the times you had these dreams, did you go through any major events? like marriage, changing jobs, starting a relationship(friendship or romantic), starting or changing schools, etc.

Peronally, I believe that death in dreams really doesn't mean death as in the end of your life. I think it simply means the end. I've noticed that I personally have had dreams about death mainly only when major changes were happening in my life. For example the end of a relationship or losing your job. Something ends and something new begins, so in your dreams what occurs is death in a way to help signify, predict or maybe just metaphorically tell you that something in your life is ending and something new is beginning. Most people wake up from dreams in which they die right after they die. I tend not to. Although I believe in the paranormal and past lives and such sometimes the simplest answer is still the best one.

generaly death in dreams, unles a premonition, regard changes. the end of something and the beging of another. during the times you had these dreams, did you go through any major events? like marriage, changing jobs, starting a relationship(friendship or romantic), starting or changing schools, etc.

Sorry "Odd Christian" I did not mean to steal your thunder or repeat what you said I merely never been in a chat forum before and missed that there were two pages.

Do these dreams repeat over and over or are they all different but with same action (head being cut off for example)?

I've had dreams where I was running thru the woods, and a man with a shotgun was chasing me-shooting at me... As I reached a barbwire fence to climb over it, he shot me in back, I felt an intense blow there.... I landed, and he shot me again in the front (neck)..I felt the bullets impact and felt the blood run down my neck... I remember looking up facing the sky and top of the trees, and seeing him walk up to me..I'd barely mumble the words to him 'this (dying) isn't that bad.' :unsure:

Me? They're usual half & half sometimes. Sometimes the guy I like does sometimes kill me. Of course the dream kinda restarts with a different ending.

I've heard about that. Sometimes dreams with death is about changes or something.

I have never actually dreamt that I died. I usually wake up.

However, your dreams could be similar to why I have mine. I dream about tornados. Normally they are just chasing me, but one time I actually started to get sucked up the funnel before I woke up. Let me tell you what a weird feeling THAT was.

Anyway, my dreams I believe were caused by my father. He is schizophrenic and I have very little contact. But most of the time when I had tornado dreams, I realized it was right after his parents called me to tell me he wanted to contact me. I think these dreams are a sign that I feel I have no control. I think the fact that it actually picked me up in the last one could indicate that I actually feel like I have less control than I had before.

Or, maybe I am a tornado magnet. :)

In any case, I have always thought dreams of dying (something we generally DONT want) are indicative of loss of control. Do you feel that way about something?