Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Spyware.. Your help needed........

Hammys Teddy

Hi all,

I recently downloaded an mp3 to wav converter from Downloads.com that was full of spyware....

I seem to have removed most of it but there is still something installed on my computer that constantly tries to change my home page.

I also use zonealarm and everytime I boot my computer up I get some sort of .exe (it uses a diff 3 letter name each time)program seeking permission to use the web..

I have tried typing the name of this file into a search but it doesnt find it.... I have also scanned with Adaware and Spysweeper but both of these have failed to find anything...

Can anyone else suggest/tell me where to look or how I may rid my machine of these files, save a complete reformat..

Many Thanks..

Teddy.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hammys Teddy

• TheOracle

• Journey

• SpaceBlondeGirl

Have you tried running an spyware remover program?

Here's a link to Ad-aware, it's the best spyware removal tool I've found.

Ad-aware Link

I had a problem with a homepage hijacker...this program solved it for me.

Hope this helps thumbsup.gif

Thanks for the tip SpaceBlondeGirl but I have already said in my original post that I have tried Adaware and another spyware removal program called Spy sweeper, neither have been able to find it.

Teddy

Hi Hammys Teddy original.gif

I would go through my 'Program Files' folder and look for any folders in there that you do not recognise. First of all makes sure you set Windows to show hidden files and folders thumbsup.gif . Also, Clean out your temporary internet files and have a look in the 'Startup' Folder.

You can also get a great little program called 'Reg Cleaner'. It will show you everything in your registry from Registry entries to Startup Programs that you normally wouldn't see. It also has a great Un-Installer and you can totally clean you registry manually or automatically.

If you can't find a copy PM me and send your email address an I will get a copy to you thumbsup.gif

Hope this helps you out...Let me know grin2.gif

Spy-Bot Search and Destroy - which helped me, and is free- reccommended by Tech TV , solved my problem 3 months ago

Yes,I'd recommend Spybot - Search & Destroy.

But be careful if you're using KaZaa,it may cause probs to your com. by deleting all of the adwares needed.I had mine & it was a pure mess. sad.gif

P.S.: If you're looking for a very reliable mp3 to wav converter,I'd recommend you the DB Power Amp.It also converts WMA and OGG files in to mp3's,wav's.....vice versa.Here's the link: Right Here

Hope that helped.

Edited by Engulf

What OS are you running?if it's xp,just go to "start",then "run",then type in msconfig then click ok..when the box comes up,click startup at the top and see what programs are loading with windows.If there's a program you don't want to load,just uncheck it,click "apply" then ok....then reboot. original.gif

p.s.-doing this doesn't remove the program from your computer but will prevent it from loading and running

p.p.s.-i check msconfig weekly( after a few times of doing that it's easy to memorize what's listed under startup)-there have been a few times i have found viruses before my antivirus has detected them and i have found spyware that ad-aware hasn't detected.

• 2 months later...