Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

mutations by humans

GaarasDemonicPetBunny

I just wanted to ask what you guys think about mutations in animals caused by humans. like that time in Asia when scientists injected jelly fish DNA into a newly fertelized pig egg, which later caused the toungs and some of their skin to glow in the dark. or the other time they did the same thing, but to guppies, which turned neon green and glowed in the dark, who were then released into the public to be sold as pets. what are your opinions and fears of humans being able to mutate animals?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Kalien

• Mattshark

• Raptor

• Isis2200

Mutating animals is terrifying, I do not believe in God but humans should not play God like that.

Yes we do this and it's a very sick thing....No one needs to play god with any life form it's just not a good idea.....

Well, experimenting on animals is inhumane but strangely very embedded in humans. Little kids do cruel things to ants and spiders to see what happens for instance. So it's not strange that big bad (or mad) scientists also do it.

On the other hand, I would love to have some glow-in-the-dark bodyparts. Saves me a lot on my electrical bill each month if I don't have to swich on the light at night when reading ;)

Edited by N-droe

Well, experimenting on animals is inhumane but strangely very embedded in humans. Little kids do cruel things to ants and spiders to see what happens for instance. So it's not strange that big bad (or mad) scientists also do it.

On the other hand, I would love to have some glow-in-the-dark bodyparts. Saves me a lot on my electrical bill each month if I don't have to swich on the light at night when reading ;)

Man, that idea doesn't go along with me...I dont wanna glow in the dark bodyparts...like...you can only play hide and seek before sundown and you'll have a problem if you're going to attend any military or security business...You know, they can easily bust your @$$...and everybody will call you..."Hey, bulb boy" !!

Some of these experiments are done to gain a better understanding on our physiology. Some are done to help gain a cure for some medical issue.

However, I still say instead of useing other animals... that prison inmates should be used. X)

Some of these experiments are done to gain a better understanding on our physiology. Some are done to help gain a cure for some medical issue.

However, I still say instead of useing other animals... that prison inmates should be used. X)

Lol, the problem is it requires being done at the embryo level.

Domestic dogs are mutations created by humans btw.

Lol, the problem is it requires being done at the embryo level.

Domestic dogs are mutations created by humans btw.

There are more then just male prison inmates in for life or on death row..

Yeah yeah.. Oh so horrible!! Meanwhile we are doing such things to other animal species...

I have no problem with it. People like to believe that there are muahahahahahaha-type mad scientists doing these experiments but its just not the case. Every major scientific advancement is accompanied by concern from people that watch the 6 o'clock news and imagine whats happening in the labs is just like in the movies.

Also we kill sooooo many animals a day to feed ourselves but doing some research on a few animals is morally wrong, I dont think so.

Any word on the humanzee yet lol?!?

You could just buy a Glow in the dark nose to put over your regular, non-glowing nose.

Dog's being a mutation by humans? All that was done by selective breeding, its not as bad as messing with them at the cellular and genetic level.

You're right. We kill lots of animals to eat them... But that's not the point here. I'm the first one to put my teeth in a juicy steak when I get the chance but putting animals through pain just to make some models lips look nice and shiny red goes to far for me. We can't do much scientific advances without experimenting...but make it really usefull.. glowing pigs just doesn't sound that usefull to me, except when the slaughterhouse forgets to pay it's electrical bills...

Half the time, it seems as if they are experimenting just for the sake of it or for curiosity purposes, that makes me mad. Regarding the jellyfish thing for instance, why the hell did they try (and by the looks of it succeed) to create a glowing jellyfish?

Sometimes I think their energies could be much better spent elsewhere.

We can't do much scientific advances without experimenting...but make it really usefull.. glowing pigs just doesn't sound that usefull to me, except when the slaughterhouse forgets to pay it's electrical bills...

It's imoral and cruel and should not be done.

Dog's being a mutation by humans? All that was done by selective breeding, its not as bad as messing with them at the cellular and genetic level

Really, what's the difference? Making fish and pigs glow is as simple as letting the blastula grow and aborb simple BACs and Plasmids. Any highschooler can do that.

The CML drug Glivec wouldn't be here without the help of lab rats...Testing is vital to our knowledge, especially in the medical field.

Dog's being a mutation by humans? All that was done by selective breeding, its not as bad as messing with them at the cellular and genetic level.

It is actually the same thing but over a much much longe period of time. Genetic engineering does the same as selective breeding but over a much short space of time.

THey wouldn't use inmates. Think about it. That's torture. Amnesty would be on their a....... You know what faster than a cheetah on a lame gazelle.

Though I'd donate myself to science (when I'm dead) If I didn't already want to be cremated to keep from being brought back in a nuclear holocost as a zombie. When I die I want to stay dead damned it.

I don't disagree with animal testing. Especially if it benifits medical and science. What would you rather die, a simple minded rat or a human being? As mattshark pointed out, we have been doing it for years with domestic animals, but now we have a faster means.

Animal experimentation is a very touche' topic. To some, any animal experimentation is wrong and cruel. To some others, it's a needed study. And there are even others who are on the fence, and have no opinon at all. Which is correct? Well, maybe they all are in some way, it is a personal thing.

However, this is not the debate, although it looks as though it is, it isn't. Here is why. If someone, or a group of someones, has the resources and the equipment, and belives there is a great deal to be had from such activities, and yes, that does mean animal mutations at the genetic level. They will do it reguardless of what anyone thinks about it. If it's illegal, they will do so in secret. Making something illegal doesn't always work, and if you need examples, well... I think you get the point. The facts are simple.

One: Animal experimentation exists and is done on a daily basis.

Two: The technology to modify organisms on the genetic level exists and is being improved upon all the time.

Three: If there is money to be made, or power to be gained, then just because it's not legal, isn't likely to stop them. Legal or moral issues are not going to be a barrier to the people who have the means and desire to do so. Simple as that.

If I were a betting man, I would say that it's already being done. The real question should be, are we going to be able to live with it?

Good Journey

Kyle Rajasthan.

I say it's WRONG. I'm with SilverCougar they should do these tests on inmates. Why do them on animals......animals are not at all like humans so just do your horrible mutation study on the real thing "humans"

I say it's WRONG. I'm with SilverCougar they should do these tests on inmates. Why do them on animals......animals are not at all like humans so just do your horrible mutation study on the real thing "humans"

Again can not because you need to do it upon embryos, usually drosophila, mice or chicks.

Do you suggest doing medical research on developing children or a fly?

It is one thing to test make up etc, but the intention of the study is to help improve medicine.

However making a pig bioluminescent it hardly going to harm the pig, if not not going to be helpfull.

Finally, slectrive breeding is the same idea, it just much much slower.

Animal experiments don't do us much good because what happens in the animal studies won't exactly happen to us. I could never be ok with someone torturing a living creature that feels pain and misery. Though the food experiments aren't so bad I guess ;D, what rat doesn't want to gorge itself to obesity?

Animal experiments don't do us much good because what happens in the animal studies won't exactly happen to us. I could never be ok with someone torturing a living creature that feels pain and misery. Though the food experiments aren't so bad I guess ;D, what rat doesn't want to gorge itself to obesity?

This is why there are restrictions on animals you can use and the experiements you can perform on them. Many animals need special licenses to perform the work done on them which is why invertenrates are a favoured choice as they do not require the license's to work upon. However the work done is (in the majority of countries) is done for the benefit of humanity and unnescerry torture is illegal.

There are public attractions that are far crueller than experiementing of these animals, like Seaworld and Miami Seaquarium.

I just wanted to ask what you guys think about mutations in animals caused by humans. like that time in Asia when scientists injected jelly fish DNA into a newly fertelized pig egg, which later caused the toungs and some of their skin to glow in the dark. or the other time they did the same thing, but to guppies, which turned neon green and glowed in the dark, who were then released into the public to be sold as pets. what are your opinions and fears of humans being able to mutate animals?

I think it is inhumane. There have been people who said that their "inside source" told them that there are actual underground bases where they are actually experimenting with this and that there are animals and human children caged up down there. The inside source said he saw rows and rows of what looked like caged Chimeras.

There has been speculation that some of the unidentified creatures seen above ground are actually these chimeras that have been released into the environment. My fear is that if this is true, they could be dangerous to humans.

Also, if this is true, then what's to prevent them from taking dinosaur DNA, combining it with DNA from another animal, growing it to near adulthood and letting it out into our environment. In my opinion, there is no limit to how far they will go with their experiments. :hmm:

linked-image