Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Why cant ghost cross water?

crzyamazing

I've read in a ghost story, that ghost cant cross water for some reason.

Im going to try to fidn the story

Its a bout an old couple who were driving and they picked up a girl in a lavender dress on the side of the raod and it was raining.The old lady gave her a jacket because it was cold.The girl told them the address she wanted to go to and after they crossed the bridge she disappeared and took the jacket with her.The couple went to the address that she told them and the girls father said she died. Then the couple visited her grave and the old ladys jacket was folded neatly right next to it.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Please Explain

• Armoured-Fury

• Barek Halfhand

• The Skeptic Eric Raven

I have heard the myths that a vampire could not cross water because it would drown. Never heard that about ghosts.

i think the story was "The girl in the lavender dress" or something the mentioned why ghost cant cross water

Well there could be many explanations..

Water is considered the sign of purity and of life, the great light source of living beings maybe that's a reason.. Maybe that's why they can't cross it..

Ghosts are made up of ectoplasmic residue, well i believe so.. It takes a lot of effort for a ghost to hold a shape let alone become tangible to the living world.

The other main theory is the one consisting of a ghost having a set radious as to where it has to stay.. As soon as it crosses that "border" it will vanish, or the accident will happen again.. I've stutied many cases wherre this has happened..

Maybe the water is her border line of where she cannot go beyond.

Prime example...

Well, this happened to one of my girlfriend's best friends and her father. They were driving along a country road on their way home from the cottage when they saw a young girl hitchhiking. They stopped and picked her up and she got in the back seat. She told the girl and her father that she just lived in the house about five miles up the road. She didn't say anything after that but just turned to watch out the window. When the father saw the house, he drove up to it and turned around to tell the girl they had arrived but she wasn't there! Both he and his daughter were really mystified and decided to knock on the door and tell the people what had happened. They told them that they had once had a daughter who answered the description of the girl they supposedly had picked up, but she had disappeared some years ago and had last been seen hitch-hiking on this very road. Today would have been her birthday.

More stories found like it here:

http://bernd.wechner.info/Hitchhiking/vanish.html

Edited by Armoured-Fury

Well there could be many explanations..

Water is considered the sign of purity and of life, the great light source of living beings maybe that's a reason.. Maybe that's why they can't cross it..

Ghosts are made up of ectoplasmic residue, well i believe so.. It takes a lot of effort for a ghost to hold a shape let alone become tangible to the living world.

The other main theory is the one consisting of a ghost having a set radious as to where it has to stay.. As soon as it crosses that "border" it will vanish, or the accident will happen again.. I've stutied many cases wherre this has happened..

Maybe the water is her border line of where she cannot go beyond.

Prime example...

Well, this happened to one of my girlfriend's best friends and her father. They were driving along a country road on their way home from the cottage when they saw a young girl hitchhiking. They stopped and picked her up and she got in the back seat. She told the girl and her father that she just lived in the house about five miles up the road. She didn't say anything after that but just turned to watch out the window. When the father saw the house, he drove up to it and turned around to tell the girl they had arrived but she wasn't there! Both he and his daughter were really mystified and decided to knock on the door and tell the people what had happened. They told them that they had once had a daughter who answered the description of the girl they supposedly had picked up, but she had disappeared some years ago and had last been seen hitch-hiking on this very road. Today would have been her birthday.

More stories found like it here:

http://bernd.wechner.info/Hitchhiking/vanish.html

my 2 cents... i've heard plenty of ghosts stories about ghosts that haunt ships and are always on the water or in the water... in the Bible... there is some stange supernatural stuff that is going on in the water... and it doesn't have anything to do with God... but a lot of ancient cultures believed that large bodies of water contained all kinds of evil spirits...

How bout the Flying Dutchman.

Ok, ok i know it's considered as an urban legend but let's take Ghost ships in general

they can cross water, or am i reading it wrong?

As I posted earlier I believe the wreckage of the Edmund Fitzerald at the floor of lake Superior has a couple of its crew members trapped(not just the bodies)....B

http://www.ssefo.com/

Edited by Barek Halfhand

How bout the Flying Dutchman.

Ok, ok i know it's considered as an urban legend but let's take Ghost ships in general

they can cross water, or am i reading it wrong?

That "legend" has always interested me actually.. In some cases i believe that ghosts are actually living in a parallel dimension alongside our own.. When people come back from dying and go "ohhh i saw a light at the end of a tunnel.." i believe this "tunnel" to be a portal or wormhole, if you will, to this parallel dimension.

Now maybe the reason some of us see ghosts is because our souls have a strong connection to this parallel dimension and can see the souls in it, kinda like an interlaced dimension between the 2 or something i don't know..

I've always considered water as something that can amp activity, hauntings, manifestations, even act as vortexes... Bathrooms and kitchens tend more so than not contain entry/exits (vortex/portal)

Well in that case i'm gonna have one going through my flat!!

But...they could also jump over the trees before shapeshifting. Only on the full moon.

But...they could also jump over the trees before shapeshifting. Only on the full moon.

Well the one i was talking about in the other forum can certainly jump/ fly about 40 ft into the air but that's only when it attacked me for the first time in my dream.. Since then it's got worse.

I do know shapeshifters cannot cross a river.

Since there is no proof of them, then that would be a feat.

since when can you find a proof?

I agree with that statement.. Maybe "shape shifter" is more of a fictional reference but i do believe their is some force spiritualy that can do that.

since when can you find a proof?

Anything that is real can be measured in someway. People must use logical reasoning when talking about the unknown so it can be taken seriously.

Anything that is real can be measured in someway. People must use logical reasoning when talking about the unknown so it can be taken seriously.

The problem is, you can't measure it by just sitting on your computer asking for proof.

How can i be serious talking to you? You have to find the proof yourself !

but i do believe their is some force spiritualy that can do that.

There is ! otherwise they can't do it.

The problem is, you can't measure it by just sitting on your computer asking for proof.

How can i be serious talking to you? You have to find the proof yourself !

Not me. Anyone that makes these claims must provide the proof or not be suprised when they are not take seriously.

Edited by ericraven2003

Not me. Anyone that makes these claims must provide the proof or not be suprised when they are not take seriously.

That is not true at all.. If it were then half the people on this site wouldn't even be talking. Can you seriously tell me that you can provide evidence of all supernatural happenings and otherwise that you've experienced? I don't think you can and it's unfair to say that everybody needs proof before they're taken seriously. Just because you weren't there doesn't mean it didn't happen or doesn't exist. It's the whole tree falling in the forest thing..

So unless you yourself can provide evidence of anything and all things that happened to you then you have no right to say others aren't serious lol.

Any way this is starting to become a flame topic and i don't want it to be that way at all because they're bad. I didn't mean to complain but i don't see the logic in what you're saying at all.

I've never heard anything so, absurd. Ghosts, or spirits, can cross water. Maybe in your version of this urban legend, the spirit was simply afraid to go past the water, for whatever unknown psychological fear she may have manifested. Maybe in the urban legend, she disappeared at this point, simply because she was so close to her parents home, and she didn't want to freighten them. I feel that this entire urban legend was invented, to let grieving parents know that their children are ok, and trying to tell them that they love them.

That is not true at all.. If it were then half the people on this site wouldn't even be talking. Can you seriously tell me that you can provide evidence of all supernatural happenings and otherwise that you've experienced? I don't think you can and it's unfair to say that everybody needs proof before they're taken seriously. Just because you weren't there doesn't mean it didn't happen or doesn't exist.

I do have to agree with you. I have had many paranormal or supernatural experiences in my life, that I have no proof of ever happening. Since I have no proof, I will not share them on here, because of the ridicule I'm sure I will endure. I love hearing about people's experiences, and I listen with an open mind. When someone tells me that they have seen a UFO, I don't think they're liars, I just wish that I could see one, to substantiate in my mind that they're real.