Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Cats steal babies breath?

Lord Umbarger

To say I'm an animal person is an understatement. I was brought up with cats, dogs, tame squirrels, tame skunks, a huge cage full of breeding parakeets (budgies to you across the pond), and briefly an unhappy owl in a cage. And never, not one of those animals sucked the breath out of me. My son was brought up with a Siamese cat who often slept with him and accompanied him in his playpen. Not a single breath stolen!

My bold below:

One of our old cats used to climb up on my chest while sleeping, or when I was awake, and lay there with his head just a few centimeters from my head. A few times when I had a cold and a runny nose, and while he lay there, I felt it very much that the oxygen wasn't enough for the both of us, so to speak. It became very hard to breath - and no, it was not because of the weight of the cat on my chest - and it came to the point that I became dizzy before moving him away. He was breathing fast, and exhaling right at my mouth, and I definitely felt the lack of oxygen.

I dont think it might have killed me if I was asleep, but it was enough to feel uncomfortable when I was awake. If a baby has a similar cold, and a grown cat would do it to them, who knows. It might not be enough to kill them, but I wouldn't leave the cat on my childs chest like that if I saw it.

I've heard that exposure to certain things (e.g. cat hair

feathers, pollen...&c.) when one is ill sometimes results

in allergies... That the immune system, in attacking all

foreign matter, likens such things with pathogens. Thus

might reactions complicate respiratory problems.

My bold below:

I've heard that exposure to certain things (e.g. cat hair

feathers, pollen...&c.) when one is ill sometimes results

in allergies... That the immune system, in attacking all

foreign matter, likens such things with pathogens. Thus

might reactions complicate respiratory problems.

I have no allergy, and when I sat up and had the cat in my lap. When I still was sick and I had my face in his fur, when I snuggle/cuddle with him, I never felt anything like what I described in the other post. One would expect so if allergy was the "culprit" here. Another thing as that; when I had the cat on my chest - up in my face, breathing down on me - if he turned his head for a few sec to either side the feeling of getting not enough oxygen goes away.