Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Catapult boy eaten after taunting crocodile

GoddessWhispers

April 23, 2007

Catapult boy is eaten after taunting crocodile in pen

linked-image

A schoolboy who climbed over a fence into a crocodile enclosure and taunted the animals with sticks and a catapult was dragged into the water and eaten.

The nine-year-old, whose family name was given as Liu, and three friends sneaked into the crocodile park at the Silver Beach holiday resort at Beihai in the southwestern Guangxi region on Friday.

The children shot at the animals with catapults and beat them with sticks.

The official Xinhua news agency said: “One of the irritated crocodiles bit Liu’s clothes and dragged him into the water where he was eaten by a swarm of crocodiles.” His companions then raised the alarm.

Investigators searched for the missing boy and decided to check inside the crocodiles. Snipers used pork to lure them out of their pool and shot dead the first animal to lumber on to the bank.

Inside it they found human remains that were confirmed to be those of the boy.

The crocodiles were still being bred, even though their performances at the park were stopped several years ago and the pool had been sealed off for auction.

The park’s owner had hired a keeper to take care of the crocodiles, but it was unclear why the man was not at the enclosure when the boys broke in. The manager and the keeper were being questioned by police.

Animal welfare has long been a low priority in China, where many zoos have for years provided bare and often squalid pens for animals that spend their entire existence in the public eye. Even at the Beijing Zoo, the prized pandas must now be cordoned off well out of reach of visitors. People have in the past tossed food wrapped in plastic bags into their pens which destroyed the digestive system of at least one of the endangered animals.

The latest scandal to attract public attention came last year in Shanghai when a city zoo cancelled its “Animal Olympics” after shows featuring boxing matches between kangaroos and their keepers, bears fighting and riding bicycles and an elephant tug-of-war drew unwelcome publicity. The event was cancelled after animal rights groups posted reports and pictures on the internet.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• R3LOAD

• laveticus666

• joc

• m. Moe

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Reptiles 1, Bratty kids 0

Where were this kids parents?

A 9 year old knows the difference between right and wrong and they know how dangerous crocs are. I feel bad for him because he is only a child but if you mess with crocs you are going to die.

:lol: I was thinking the same thing.

I'm kind of ticked though a croc had to die because of some idiot kid. :(

Stupid little turds...the gator should have eaten them all.

edit:Excuse me...croc not gator...

Edited by Michelle

One less dumbass in the world~ beating animals is disgusting luckily Karma had her way with the stupid brat. It's shameful they had to kill the crocodile for someone elses stupidity <_<

moral of the story, don't mess with Crocodiles... IMO :tu:

STUPID BRAT! HOW DARE U MAKE A CROC DIE! "shoots all the bratty kids."

lol! little brat deserved it.

"stupid crocidiles! i hate you and sneak out so i can beat you! take this and that and..... AHHHH HE'S GOT MY L... "

high five crocidiles! job well done. now we need to find a way to let some crocodiles loose on those laguna beach kids..... :devil::devil:

Heh, when 9 year olds are capable of doing this it makes me lose faith in humanity :hmm:

litte kids can be very cruel. this is nothing new.

i think it's funny that he's referred to as 'Catapult Boy'

Edited by crtbud420

Yes I ageee the crocoldie should not have been killed. I'm sorry the boy was killed but this is what happen's when you poke them with sticks and hurt them the crocodiles were only defending them selves.

Where were this kids parents?

Probably handing him the rocks. Ummmm tender morsel for the croc. To many people anyway.

Ya know.. I keep saying that humans are pray animals. We're soft and squishy... and there are quite a few of us who are dumb enough to jump into a pen with preditors. Preditors that will be more then willing to show how soft and squishy we really are.

i think it's funny that he's referred to as 'Catapult Boy'

is a catapult a sling shot? Or were the kids launching these at the crocs?

post-42531-1177701748_thumb.jpg

This is a good example of natural selection...

Ya know.. I keep saying that humans are pray animals. We're soft and squishy... and there are quite a few of us who are dumb enough to jump into a pen with preditors. Preditors that will be more then willing to show how soft and squishy we really are.

I get the soft and cuddly critter line at my job ALL THE TIME. Picture this a toddler sits next to the viewing window of a Apex predator (Ursus maritimus) the bear in question keeps swimming by the glass touching the glass right where food item (child) is sitting. The mommy person says "oh look he likes you!" That is until some unkind keeper or a child of zoo keepers say "oh yes he likes them as a snack, there just about seal size". its truly amazing how fast people can really move. makes me laugh.

Stay at home and dont tease animals. In Australia we respect crocs coz they are the largest crocodiles in the world. Bigger that the american alligator they'd eat ya kid, ya dog, your tin dingy and the american alligator. !!!!!!

You couldnt be any wrongerer,The american alligator would kickthe crocs ass.AND THEN it would eat the croc but then it would throw it up cause it tasted gross,I hate how evrybody thinks crocs are so cool.

Snake... the saltwater croc is consideribly bigger then the american gator...

Why shoot the croc? It's just the same as when the hunters go out and track and kill a big shark after it's eaten someone. It's simple in my book, don't go in the bloody water. They were here before us, it's their domain RESPECT IT !!!!!! and don't kill'em.