Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The surprising realites of mythical creatures

UM-Bot

user posted image rWhile sailing the ocean near Haiti, Christopher Columbus in 1493 reported seeing three mermaids from a distance. The Genoese explorer was not impressed.Up close, the sea maidens were "not as pretty as they are depicted," he wrote in his journal, "for somehow in the face they look like men.

"Many scientists now think that what Columbus probably saw was a manatee, an aquatic mammal that resembles a flippered hippo.

news icon View: Full Article | Source: Live Science

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Zenth

• SureFire

• Marvy

• The Mule

Real 'mermaids' aren't even half-fish. They take a human form but have scaly skin.

Real 'mermaids' aren't even half-fish. They take a human form but have scaly skin.

o i see those all the time then

I wish I was able to visit this exhibition! It looks exciting to learn how mythical creatures came to be.

Aww. Wish I could visit it, that would be awsome! But I can always drea, oh well. But I think that people who love mythical creatures will enjoy it.

Yes this is great ... rational and logic is the way to go ... but more or less, blind faith to science will actually drives us away from one unknown reality to other "less absurd, more expected, comforting, and still inside the box" reality type. The latter which is what people need to have an enjoyable life. Off course I prefer to hear that Columbus and his crew are bunch of retards rather than accepting the idea that bizzare creature lives out there without our knowledge about it.

Off course I prefer to hear that Columbus and his crew are bunch of retards rather than accepting the idea that bizzare creature lives out there without our knowledge about it.

Lol, good point, I mean at that time he had just started hit trips correct? And everything was uncharted at the time right? So I wonder why he was so closed minded when it came to things like that? Garbage, straight garbage...

• 2 weeks later...

Well....he WAS moronic enough to think he landed in India...and we have a holiday for this fool and not one for Neil Armstrong?

• 1 month later...

Did a taxadermist get bored again?

Someone dished up some alien hybrid fish here just makes you wonder what other undiscovered creatures lurk in the dark groggy depths of the ocean hehe alien hybrid :lol:

Edited by Zenth

ALIEN EXPERIMENTS ON FISH WE ARE ALL DOOMED!!!!! :no:

LOL!

I would love to see this show! Oh, well, I still love to think "what if...."

• 6 years later...