Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Regency

Famous People who have seen Ghosts

12 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

The flying Dutchman post got me thinking - if the King of England says he saw a ghost ship, what other famous people have reported seeing them. So I'm going to kick off a few myself:

King George IV - another king this time, another King George in fact, in 1786 he was staying at Raynam hall (of the ghost of Raynam hall fame of which there was a recent post) - he woke one night to find a woman wearing brown standing beside his bed. Her hair was dishevelled, her face ashen white. He fled his room in his nightgown and cap and stormed through the house. He refused to stay an hour longer.

By the way, the ghost at Raynam Hall is supposed to be Dorothy Walpole, sister of Sir Robert Walpole who became Prime Minister of England in 1721.

Telly Savalas aka Kojak - his car ran out of fuel and he had to start walking, he says "I was just about to set out when I heard someone ask in a high pitched voice if I wanted a lift. I turned and saw a guy in a black Cadillac. I thanked him, climbed into the passenger seat and we drove to the freeway. To my embarrassment, I had no wallet, but the man loaned me a dollar. I insisted I must pay him back and got him to write his name and address on a scrap of paper. His name was Harry Agannis". The next day Savalas looked up his good Samaritan in the phone book. A woman answered the call. Yes, Harry Agannis was her husband, but no, it was not possible to speak with him, for he had been dead for three years. Savalas says "when I showed her the paper she was obviously deeply affected and told me without a doubt it was her husbands handwriting, I described his clothes and she said those were the clothes he had been buried in. I doubt I will ever be able to explain it".

Roger Moore aka James Bond - admits to being "absolutely petrified" when one night he had gone to bed early after a hard days filming. He was awoken with the feeling that someone was in the room. He said "lying there with the light of the moon coming through the window I saw a misty substance - that's as near as I can describe it - floating across the bed. I was rigid with fright. When it disappeared, I looked at my watch and saw that it was precisely 2am. The next night, at the same time, the same thing happened. I can tell you, our home help told me to leave a bible opened at the twenty third psalm on my bedside table. Reluctantly, I agreed to do that and try one more night. It worked and I never had the experience again".

Peter Sellers - had a ghost that travelled with him. He was always sure that the great comic, Dan Leno, was his guiding spirit through life.

Glen Ford and his wife Cynthia - have experience strange goings on in their Hollywood home. Sometimes at night there have been echoes of a long gone party in their garden.

Cilla Black - feels protective towards her ghost. Four times in a period of 7 years she woke up in the night to find the figure of a young girl, no more than 16 standing by the side of her bed. She says "when it first happened, in my drowsy state I thought one of the children had come into the bedroom, the second time, I knew it was a ghost".

Princess Margaret - saw the figure of Queen Elizabeth I, the last Tudor monarch at Windsor Castle. It has also been reported that the current Queen Elizabeth and the late Queen Mother also have seen ghosts.

Charlene Tilton - believes she was haunted by the ghost of her grandfather when she was a child. Even when she became a teenager and left home, the feeling that she was being haunted stayed with her.

President Theodore Roosevelt - once said "I see Lincoln - shambling, homely, with his sad, strong deeply-furrowed face - in different rooms and halls". Queen Wilhemina of the Netherlands is said to have fainted after answering a knock on the Rose Room door to find Lincoln standing outside. Sir Winston Churchill did not enjoy sleeping in Lincoln's old bedroom and frequently moved to another room.

This last one's an odd one -

Vincent Price - Price was flying from Hollywood to New York on 15 November 1958. He was immersed in reading a classic French novel for most of the journey, but at one point, glanced idly out of the window. To his horror he saw huge, brilliant letters emblazoned across a cloud bank spelling out the message "Tyrone Power is dead". Price admits, "it was a terrific shock, I began to doubt my senses when I realised that nobody else on the plane appeared to have seen them, but for a few seconds they were definitely there, like huge teletype, lit up with blinding light from within the clouds". When Price landed in New York he was told that his close friend, actor Tyrone Power, had died suddenly a couple of hours earlier.

So does it make a ghost story more credible if told by someone famous - especially, Kings, Queens, Presidents and Heads of State?

Edited by Regency

Telly Savalas aka Kojak - his car ran out of fuel and he had to start walking, he says "I was just about to set out when I heard someone ask in a high pitched voice if I wanted a lift. I turned and saw a guy in a black Cadillac. I thanked him, climbed into the passenger seat and we drove to the freeway. To my embarrassment, I had no wallet, but the man loaned me a dollar. I insisted I must pay him back and got him to write his name and address on a scrap of paper. His name was Harry Agannis". The next day Savalas looked up his good Samaritan in the phone book. A woman answered the call. Yes, Harry Agannis was her husband, but no, it was not possible to speak with him, for he had been dead for three years. Savalas says "when I showed her the paper she was obviously deeply affected and told me without a doubt it was her husbands handwriting, I described his clothes and she said those were the clothes he had been buried in. I doubt I will ever be able to explain it".
can you imagine the ghost of Telly Savalas?.....B

"who loves ya baby?"

linked-image

I know - bless him, he's a legend - he had the best gravelly voice ever.

Posted (edited)

I know - bless him, he's a legend - he had the best gravelly voice ever.

Yeah ^_^ ....I've always been a big sucker for Telly ...(groan) :huh: .....B

linked-image

Edited by Barek Halfhand

:D

Posted (edited)

Princess Margaret - saw the figure of Queen Elizabeth I, the last Tudor monarch at Windsor Castle. It has also been reported that the current Queen Elizabeth and the late Queen Mother also have seen ghosts.

So does it make a ghost story more credible if told by someone famous - especially, Kings, Queens, Presidents and Heads of State?

I think it does :yes: Royals for instance aren't going to come out with stories like that just for the sake of it ...

Edited by Anvil

If I remeber correclty, someone who was staying in Abraham Lincoln's bedroom in the White House once reported being woken up in the middle of the night by a knock. The person opened the door and saw Lincoln standing there.

And the Admiral Stephen Decatur (War of 1812, storming Tripoli) reportedly saw the Jersey Devil on a trip to NJ. He was there sampling some new guns; as the story goes, Decatur shot at the Devil. They followed it into the woods but never found a body.

If I remeber correclty, someone who was staying in Abraham Lincoln's bedroom in the White House once reported being woken up in the middle of the night by a knock. The person opened the door and saw Lincoln standing there.

And the Admiral Stephen Decatur (War of 1812, storming Tripoli) reportedly saw the Jersey Devil on a trip to NJ. He was there sampling some new guns; as the story goes, Decatur shot at the Devil. They followed it into the woods but never found a body.

:D sounds like the Admiral was sampling more than just guns on his trip to NJ ......B

halfhandshuffle:living colour-C O P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZ5SVDYBNrY

I bet there are a lot of thespian actors who have done their turn in theatres who have seen ghosts - theatres being a major haunting ground for spectres...

:unsure2:

I bet there are a lot of thespian actors who have done their turn in theatres who have seen ghosts - theatres being a major haunting ground for spectres...

:unsure2:

I bet there are. Drury Lane is very active for one.

al capone was supposedly haunted by a spirit while in prison and after that as well....

Thank you Regency!

Most of these were new to me.