Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DigitalDreamer

Rare Giant Manta Ray Born at Aquarium

6 posts in this topic

TOKYO (June 17) - What is believed to be the first giant manta ray born in captivity has arrived at a southern Japanese aquarium, the facility said Sunday.

The baby manta, a female, was born late Saturday in a huge fish tank at the Okinawa Churaumi Aquarium, more than a year after its parents mated, the aquarium said in a statement posted Sunday on its Web site.

In a video capturing the birth, the baby manta, rolled up like a tube, came sliding out of the mother manta, then quickly spread its fins and began swimming around.

The scene, recorded by the aquarium, was broadcast by national broadcaster NHK on Sunday.

The event marks the first birth of a manta in captivity, according to the aquarium, which started raising manta rays in 1988.

http://news.aol.com/topnews/articles/_a/ra...617113609990001

Link^^^^

cool digi! :D

she's a beauty!!! that's awesome

How awsome! :) They are seriously one of the coolest creatures about! Great find!

Posted (edited)

When they said "baby giant manta ray" I was thinking "okay, I bet it's tiny and cute." I didn't realize that when they were born they are SIX FEET across!! That's not "tiny and cute" that's "huge and adorable". There are small (under 1 foot) rays that are sold in pet stores. I think they're cute and have been wanting one for a while. This makes me want one even more. ^.^

EDIT: does anyone know if mantas care for thier young?

Edited by rosenrot

I think they do,I mean if they didnt they babys would be picked off in like a minute or so.I mean how else would the baby manta's learn how to survive?

adorable little crits! :wub: now i want one. who knows how to care a manta?