Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 1
Reincarnated

100-foot deep Andes lake disappears (Chile)

8 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

[Edited with a better source & pic]

Lake disappears suddenly in Chile

Scientists in Chile are investigating the sudden disappearance of a glacial lake in the south of the country.

linked-image

SANTIAGO, Chile (AP) --When park rangers patrolled the area in the Magallanes region in March, the two-hectare (five-acre) lake was its normal size, officials say.

But last month they found a huge dry crater and several stranded chunks of ice that used to float on the water.

One theory is that an earthquake opened up a fissure in the ground, allowing the lake's water to drain through.

"In March we patrolled the area and everything was normal," Juan Jose Romero from Chile's National Forestry Corporation, Conaf, said.

"We went again in May and to our surprise we found that the lake had completely disappeared. All that was left were chunks of ice and an enormous fissure."

Geologists and other experts are being sent to the area, which is some 2,000km (1,250 miles) south of the capital, Santiago, to investigate.

The region is shaken by frequent earth tremors and one idea is that a strong quake which hit the neighbouring region of Aysen in April opened up the fissure in the bottom of the lake.

Source

Interesting. I guess we have to wait for the verdict of how it exactly disappeared. I'm sure it was due to seismic activity.

I also found this cool story that just goes to show how quickly earth can change shape, check it out!: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_Peigneur

Edited by Reincarnated

That is strange. There wasn't an earthquake recorded

I seems likely the tremors and nearby earthquake opened the fissure and the lake drained away... IMO

I was taking a look at those pictures and they don't even look like they're the same lake. Are the rangers sure that they got the location right?

I was taking a look at those pictures and they don't even look like they're the same lake. Are the rangers sure that they got the location right?
I'm sure it wouldn't of made national news if they got the location wrong.

Maybe some Mod can combine this thread with the exact same thread a few days earlier...............for those paying attention.

Posted (edited)

Maybe some Mod can combine this thread with the exact same thread a few days earlier...............for those paying attention.
Try PMing one, it can work wonders.

BTW, it was posted the next day after the original not three.

Edited by Reincarnated

Fried Green Tomatoes!