Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The Gatton Murder Mystery

Lilith Immaculate

can't understand the "mystery" tag here. everyone but those with an i.q. smaller than their boot size knows who was responsible. the police performed like their usual lazy selves & the main culprit simply meandered away - he didn't even need to hurry....the only mystery is how Urquhart & cohorts weren't charged with criminal negligence. by continually calling this a mystery, the only folk being hurt are family descendants. they still grieve. please leave them alone. those who perpetuate the theories that Murphy family members were somehow involved are, in my opinion, as sick as the men who carried out this atrocious act. but some obviously gain some sort of satisfaction spewing up outrageous theories with no basis in fact. the workings of the mind of those "ghouls" is the only mystery surrounding the Gatton tragedy.

I have been studying this case for almost 3 years and gathered a mountain of information.

I now have reason to suspect that it was not murder in the true sense of the word but death by misadventure and a lack of knowledge about certain things they were dealing with. These were basically innocent people that lost their lives prematurely and if my suspician is correct then not only the family but the townspeople who I feel assisted in the cover up will be vindicated and the police to a lesser degree.

Take a look http://www.gattonmurders.com/gattonmurderslinks.htm

You decide.

I have actually never heard of this before...........it reminds me of the murder of school girl leanne Holland.......a few suburbs away from me....and how they have released her sisters boyfriend at the time(after he has spent many years in jail).....accused of the murder...........the true murderer is still free......

can't understand the "mystery" tag here. everyone but those with an i.q. smaller than their boot size knows who was responsible. the police performed like their usual lazy selves & the main culprit simply meandered away - he didn't even need to hurry....the only mystery is how Urquhart & cohorts weren't charged with criminal negligence. by continually calling this a mystery, the only folk being hurt are family descendants. they still grieve. please leave them alone. those who perpetuate the theories that Murphy family members were somehow involved are, in my opinion, as sick as the men who carried out this atrocious act. but some obviously gain some sort of satisfaction spewing up outrageous theories with no basis in fact. the workings of the mind of those "ghouls" is the only mystery surrounding the Gatton tragedy.

small IQ!!!!....i agree.....you do :)

profound deduction cluey...my i.q. is indeed questionable - but i know who did it. the majority of those who looked into the mattter do. why crucify a family & community for over 100 years because you've got nothing better to do ? don't panic...know you're hoping you become embroiled in a massacre close to your neck of the woods so that you can really get your teeth into it. when one has no substance to back them up, ridicule is the only option. that's the way you apparently operate "cluey".

profound deduction cluey...my i.q. is indeed questionable - but i know who did it. the majority of those who looked into the mattter do. why crucify a family & community for over 100 years because you've got nothing better to do ? don't panic...know you're hoping you become embroiled in a massacre close to your neck of the woods so that you can really get your teeth into it. when one has no substance to back them up, ridicule is the only option. that's the way you apparently operate "cluey".

OOOOhhhh....i love amusement on a Friday night.............murders from the 1800's close to home.......and many more...........simply.....these people were murdered....and it remains unsolved(if you were family.....you would want closure).......ridicule what exactly????.............it aint brain surgery :)......and you claim you know who did it(and you claim i want attention,lol)........2nd post of yours and already causing s h i t !........and your IQ is????

Edited by cluey

your rant in reply to my genuine thoughts on the Gatton murders speaks volumes cluey. does developing from an alien embryo to to a COMPLETE PARADOX (wow) take just a thousand or so insignificant attacks on others ? you may be "mystified" but this site is not about you !! it seems aliens are probing Uranus - but i'm wanting something thought-provoking about the Gatton murders....out of your league obviously.

change from cluey to mia (missing in action). what do you say about the Gatton murders cluey...you attack those who are most vulnerable (the Murphy family)then run away when dangerous - does that sound like a chap mentioned only briefly as a suspect in the rubbish slopped out on these sites. did you do it cluey ???? my last post on a site where imbeciles with hands down their undies pretend they have something meaningful to share with the world at large.

Calm down guys.

This case is not as simple as it appears on the surface.

In a town of some 400 people, Gatton’s population at the time, it would be impossible to even fart without it being known by everybody next day, let alone take three grown people into a paddock supposedly rape two strong young women, shoot a horse and murder a fully grown man without even the slightest sign of a struggle left at the scene and get away scott free.

I now have a strong feeling it was not murder in the true sense of the word, but was made to appear that way most probably after they were already dead.

This was percieved as necessary in order to protect all involved including the 3 dead innocent people.

The people who knew the truth felt they had to protect themselves and the dead from what at that time was regarded by them as an even greater shame.

This cover up, I now feel also includes at least one but probably two or more of the police involved.

They needed to shield them from something that would now be regarded by today’s society as a fairly minor matter.

These were all God fearing decent people not a bunch of crazed murdering criminals.

The facts and answer remain to this day but are very jumbled and hard to get to the unravel.

I also feel that when the truth is known all the decendants of all those involved will be relieved to hear or read the truth in fact I feel the whole town will feel the same.

I have been studying this case for almost 3 years and gathered a mountain of information.

I now have reason to suspect that it was not murder in the true sense of the word but death by misadventure and a lack of knowledge about certain things they were dealing with. These were basically innocent people that lost their lives prematurely and if my suspician is correct then not only the family but the townspeople who I feel assisted in the cover up will be vindicated and the police to a lesser degree.

Take a look http://www.gattonmurders.com/gattonmurderslinks.htm

You decide.

I read a lot of what is in your link and I still don't understand what you're getting at. You don't think it was the father?

Hi there.

No I am quite sure it wasn’t the father that disguised the scene to make it appear that a murder was committed.

When you look at the evidence it points to the fact they went into the paddock voluntarily.

You must ask yourself why?

Once you can establish a motive for them going into the paddock the rest starts to fall into place.

I don’t think anyone was meant to die.

Although what I believe happened is still ugly it was not in my opinion meant to end the way it did.

These people were frightened of what may happen if the real reason for them going into the paddock was uncovered.

You must also deduce what could implicate many people in the affair, probably resulting in long jail sentences for many of those, even though they wer never at the scene and that the death of any adult was never intended.

You must ask why the entire population of the town basically closed up after what appeared on the surface to be an extremely violent crime.

I have amassed almost 500,000 words on the subject and gone over it all many times, I have disected the available information and it took me a long time to arrive at my theory which once revealed will hopefully explain once and for all what happened, I feel early in the morning of the 27/12/1898.

The evidence available alludes to my theory without ever actually coming straight out with it.

If my theory is correct all those involved in the act and the ensuing cover up will be all but exonerated.

When you play with fire you will sometimes get burnt and the three that died got burnt badly.

change from cluey to mia (missing in action). what do you say about the Gatton murders cluey...you attack those who are most vulnerable (the Murphy family)then run away when dangerous - does that sound like a chap mentioned only briefly as a suspect in the rubbish slopped out on these sites. did you do it cluey ???? my last post on a site where imbeciles with hands down their undies pretend they have something meaningful to share with the world at large.

:lol:

your rant in reply to my genuine thoughts on the Gatton murders speaks volumes cluey. does developing from an alien embryo to to a COMPLETE PARADOX (wow) take just a thousand or so insignificant attacks on others ? you may be "mystified" but this site is not about you !! it seems aliens are probing Uranus - but i'm wanting something thought-provoking about the Gatton murders....out of your league obviously.

:lol:

Hi there.

No I am quite sure it wasn't the father that disguised the scene to make it appear that a murder was committed.

When you look at the evidence it points to the fact they went into the paddock voluntarily.

You must ask yourself why?

Once you can establish a motive for them going into the paddock the rest starts to fall into place.

I don't think anyone was meant to die.

Although what I believe happened is still ugly it was not in my opinion meant to end the way it did.

These people were frightened of what may happen if the real reason for them going into the paddock was uncovered.

You must also deduce what could implicate many people in the affair, probably resulting in long jail sentences for many of those, even though they wer never at the scene and that the death of any adult was never intended.

You must ask why the entire population of the town basically closed up after what appeared on the surface to be an extremely violent crime.

I have amassed almost 500,000 words on the subject and gone over it all many times, I have disected the available information and it took me a long time to arrive at my theory which once revealed will hopefully explain once and for all what happened, I feel early in the morning of the 27/12/1898.

The evidence available alludes to my theory without ever actually coming straight out with it.

If my theory is correct all those involved in the act and the ensuing cover up will be all but exonerated.

When you play with fire you will sometimes get burnt and the three that died got burnt badly.

I find this case very interesting too........i have actually never heard of it before...............but will do some more research about it........there doesn't seem to be a huge amount to go on................i wonder if there are still police files of any kind on it........maybe i will go there and look

great stuff Budding Colombo...knowledge of the incident - obviously studied closely. can i put this to you ? a body is discovered in the bushland on Wolston Park property. apparently hit on the head with a bottle, strangled with a tea-towel, throat cut with the broken glass...then an attempt made to burn the young lady. been in a very humid environment for 10 days before "discovery". bloated, awful orange/brown colour, maggots falling out of her anus. she was being anally raped for days after death. she was my patient (for over a year) so i was designated to stand guard over her for an hour or so in fading light waiting for the appropriate authorities. the smell still haunts me. the culprits were obvious - they usually are...but those higher than me were proposing suicide - she'd tried before. why did she voluntarily go down there with three dangerous individuals ? so very simple. they said they had alcohol she could share with them. individuals who carry out atrocities like at Gatton don't just pop up & do it, then lapse back into apparent normality. the level of mental illness required to see this through is more bizarre than even i expected. the main culprit was my patient for nearly 2 years - & the decision-makers were informed regularly that this sought of thing wasn't beyond him...ignored. my psychiatric nursing career declined rapidly after that. then i come & see someone ask "didn't the father do it ?" i'm absolutely devastated. just too emotional i suspect. ian.

I am unsure why people think it was their father???.........all i know/think is there was more than 1 person involved(not many can over power a grown man and 2 grown women easily,also fire arms had not been around long then either

Edited by cluey

Columbo I don't understand what you think they were into that caused the deaths and why you think it wasn't murder. Do you think it was some kind of witchcraft? Do you think they went in there for some kind of ritual? I can't imagine what you think was going on.

That is one hell of a burden to carry.

But I am not saying the Murphy's committed suicide it is stranger than that and could almost constitute an accident that is at the heart of it, not a vehicle accident but an accident none the less.

I am unsure why people think it was their father???.........all i know/think is there was more than 1 person involved(not many can over power a grown man and 2 grown women easily,also fire arms had not been around long then either

If you are truly interested in this subject you would know why the father was a suspect for a time, if they were there for the reason I suspect they succumbed voluntarily, there were plenty of firearms around at that period of time.

great stuff Budding Colombo...knowledge of the incident - obviously studied closely. can i put this to you ? a body is discovered in the bushland on Wolston Park property. apparently hit on the head with a bottle, strangled with a tea-towel, throat cut with the broken glass...then an attempt made to burn the young lady. been in a very humid environment for 10 days before "discovery". bloated, awful orange/brown colour, maggots falling out of her anus. she was being anally raped for days after death. she was my patient (for over a year) so i was designated to stand guard over her for an hour or so in fading light waiting for the appropriate authorities. the smell still haunts me. the culprits were obvious - they usually are...but those higher than me were proposing suicide - she'd tried before. why did she voluntarily go down there with three dangerous individuals ? so very simple. they said they had alcohol she could share with them. individuals who carry out atrocities like at Gatton don't just pop up & do it, then lapse back into apparent normality. the level of mental illness required to see this through is more bizarre than even i expected. the main culprit was my patient for nearly 2 years - & the decision-makers were informed regularly that this sought of thing wasn't beyond him...ignored. my psychiatric nursing career declined rapidly after that. then i come & see someone ask "didn't the father do it ?" i'm absolutely devastated. just too emotional i suspect. ian.

That is one hell of a burden to carry.

But I am not saying the Murphy's committed suicide it is stranger than that and could almost constitute an accident that is at the heart of it, not a vehicle accident but an accident none the less.

If you are truly interested in this subject you would know why the father was a suspect for a time, if they were there for the reason I suspect they succumbed voluntarily, there were plenty of firearms around at that period of time.

How can me taking an interest in the case make the father a logical suspect???........i didn't say there were not a lot a fire arms around at that time.....i simply said they had not been around for long:mellow:

Columbo I don't understand what you think they were into that caused the deaths and why you think it wasn't murder. Do you think it was some kind of witchcraft? Do you think they went in there for some kind of ritual? I can't imagine what you think was going on.

No I am certain it wasn't any form of witchcraft.

The evidence although somewhat jumbled, is in an e-book that will be able to be downloaded sometime next week.

As I have sopent many thousands of hours and dollars trying to unravel the mystery and until now have presented it free of charge.

i am going to charge the nominal amount of AUD15.00 for a copy. It should be available next week, at www.gattonmurders.com

I would really like to get others involved and maybe come up with a better theory than mine.

I intend to offer all those who buy an e-book my theory after 3 months of purchasing the e-book my view FREE of charge.

In this way hopefully some serious people will help uncover the answer although I am pretty sure my theory is correct.

How can me taking an interest in the case make the father a logical suspect???........i didn't say there were not a lot a fire arms around at that time.....i simply said they had not been around for long:mellow:

This is a complex mystery and needs serious study and interest.

You can take it from me the father didn't do it but may have known something about what happened.

As I have spent many thousands of hours and dollars trying to unravel the mystery and until now have presented it free of charge.

i am going to charge the nominal amount of AUD15.00 for a copy. It should be available next week, at www.gattonmurders.com

I would really like to get others involved and maybe come up with a better theory than mine.

I intend to offer all those who buy an e-book my theory after 3 months of purchasing the e-book my view FREE of charge.

In this way hopefully some serious people will help uncover the answer although I am pretty sure my theory is correct.

for some reason your e-book hasn't got me bristling with excitement Budding Colombo. unless you have properly certified copies of confessions, altered witness statements etc...you only have exactly what we have. the reason for my reference to the Wolston Park episode was to stress that no individual/s could commit such a crime without indicating in some way their "unusualness" before or after it transpired. but "Day" arrived in town - sullen, isolative, secretive, disliked by even his employer, behaved criminally in washing his coat, lurked around the murder scene...then disappeared never to be heard of again. i think it rude of you to request money for what others here give freely. the Gatton disgrace will never be laid to rest while individuals continue to express personal opinion (ignoring documented facts & statements) to make a bob, and thus continue the agony the Murphy family have been enduring for over a century. at least you understand the issue will not be in any way "solved" by your theory.

you stated : "hopefully some SERIOUS people will help uncover the answer"...we may, but we won't charge for our insights. (p.s. - you owe me AUD5.00 for what i've told you personally so far). you aren't "Steve" by any chance ? careful what you publicly assert without substantiation Budding Colombo. people do get deeply hurt about issues of this magnitude. ian.

sorry folks..but i would love an answer to my biggest concern of late surrounding the Gatton murders. the site Budding Colombo wants cash sent to appears to be an old one run by a SteveBehnke. he has not responded to e-mail or posts for months. odd ? love to know the relationship between the two. cluey will know exactly what i mean when i say someone has decided: "i have a cunning plan". ian (a.k.a. "elegant eddie" blackadder).