Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Instant Armour

PurpleStuart

This is quiet interesting, the development of clothes that can become armour

click here

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• PurpleStuart

• The Krow

• Cufflink

• Aslan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

how about the development of a fist that turns into a special little bird...

Crikey, great link, Stuart.

I follow modern military developments fairly closely, but this one had escaped me. I have to say, like so many ideas at the R&D stage, this could be decades away, but conceivably, it could work. I assume it wouldn't be fitted at that traditional weak spot, the joints, because otherwise it could hamper mobility.

Imagine if this idea was combined with the research going on in Japan, on chameleon-style camouflage built into clothing?

The Krow - hmm, what i should of said was, was that comment aimed at me? if so consider your "mean and sarcastic S.o.b" ass reported to the mods.

Cuffy, yeah that sort of thing facinates me too - did you see the articles about smart metals that were published about a year ago or so - i started a thread here somewhere about it...

was it directed towards you??? no...it wasnt actually...i thought it would be a funny thing to say...

Cuffy, yeah that sort of thing facinates me too - did you see the articles about smart metals that were published about a year ago or so - i started a thread here somewhere about it...

Alas, I'm afraid I didn't see that. But a link from anyone would be gratefully received. wink2.gif

The Krow - No problems then cool.gif

grin2.gif yea...sorry to make you think that...but hell, never take me too seriously...

Cuffy i had a look for you, heres the link, click the smilie original.gif

Imagine if this idea was combined with the research going on in Japan, on chameleon-style camouflage built into clothing?

I read something in the papers a while back about these new innovations in camouflage that the US military was looking at - one being a device that rendered the soldier effectively invisible. As far as I recall it involved small video cameras on the trooper's back and small screens somehow built into the fabric of the soldiers clothing in the front, which played whatever the cameras were seeing.

Is this what you're talking about Cufflink? If so, any idea where I can find a link?

Aslan, i know there was a hoax site which proclaimed something similiar, but it was japanese fashion, and nothing to do with the military. Could easily be two different things though.

Like that car in the James Bond film,(cant remember which one,the newest one i think)but it would massively boost the effectiveness of the army who holds the technology.

For the best effect — one that keeps the correct depth of focus — the observer needs to look through a pinhole.

Not particularly useful as a military application at this stage then.

That's exactly the thing I was talking about, but no link I'm afraid, Aslan. I spotted it some months back, on a technology section on BBC News 24, so I suppose there could be something on the BBC's website.

And Stuart, you're a star. Great link. The T2 reference is very apt. Aren't there now sunglasses with memory-metal frames? If stuff like that is available commercially, it does make you wonder what applications the military are developing.

I would like to have instant armour ... original.gif

As for the cloaking technology , it seems to make sense . But once you think about it their would still be a slightly noticable matrix outline of the person no matter what . Its still a pretty neat idea .

Excellent link PurpleStuart, this stuff always interests me.

The chameleon clothing is definately a thing of the future. With the changes in combat fighting techniques that our soldiers are expected to adapt to, gearing more towards urban fighting as opposed to the battlefield scenario, it will give them the best fighting chance in a closely built up area. Using something along the lines of the chameleon suit would render the defender of a building, (even taking into account the effects of the matrixs outline), very difficult.

You are always at an advantage when deffending a building. The amount of fire-power and equipment required to take over a property that is in enemy hands is astonomical.

If you have 10 soldiers defending a building you are looking at approx 15 to 20 soldiers with ropes, ladders, shaped charges, CS gas canisters, stun grenades, frag-grenades, plus at least double the ammo normally carried on the battlefield.

The advantages of body armour are self-evident. You just have to look at the Iranian embassy seige, when the SAS soldier used the shaped charge to blow out the windows on the balcony. Shaped charges are designed to blow in the way, but if you are standing 3 feet away from the explosion you are really going to feel it, so body armour in a situation like that would have a great advantage against shockwaves.

The chameleon suit would be a superb piece of equipment to have in a night environment. At the moment, the only real advantage a soldier has at night is the use of infra-red reflective suits that are standard issue.

If they can merge both the armor and the Chamilion suit together, and make them functionable; then it could posible alter the battlefield, and not just for the defenders. For even though someone would possible be able to see the outline of a persons body at close distances, it would be hard to make them out at rifle range. In fact it would seem ideal for a small band of consisting of light mortars, and snipers.

Just have the light mortars fire while moving so as to drive the defenders from hiding. and then the snipers can pick the enemy off.