Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Huge Moth/Butterfly Omen of Death

Salem Mora

Anyone ever heard of this? I'm in desperate need for some answers. Only serious answers please. If you have nothing to contribute don't post at all because I'm as serious as I could be.

A few years ago, an old lady told me something about Black Butterflies, that are big, are a symbol of death. It means someone is going to die if it attaches itself to a house. She told me there is hope however, one must kill the Black Butterfly, inorder to avoid death. I'm really scared about this. I saw this huge black Butterfly on some lady's house just a few days later she died.

Also, one time at my aunts house one of them Butterflies(The Huge Blackone) landed on right next to the door. My grandma killed it before it got away. Not long after that, someone shot my aunt twice and she survived. I have not much to go on this subject but it frightens me alot. My mother has been feeling ill and she very young only 36. We are having alot of family problems and my mother was outside by the pool earlier today...she was doing some chores and one of them Huge Black Buttefly flew out and near her. When she went inside it retreated somewhere by the house. She was talking to one of my elder aunts and told her about it, the elder aunt warned her about the significance of the Black Butterfly (Which was very big..like a small bird) and told her to kill it if she sees it again. I just got home from work(On my break) and my mom told me to look for it in my room- the Balcony outside of my room. I did, and sure enough, it was right there. It frightened me! I tried killing it but it flew off into the sky and then right back to my balcony. my mom ran upstairs and tried killing it but escaped and onto the roof. We have a two story house and I climbed from the balcony to the roof and searched for it and almost killed it but it flew off again. It flew off into the sky and I just hope it doesnt come back again..I know it sounds ridiculous but I beg for some helpful advice of anyone who might know anything?

Witches, people who know about this sorta thing? please help

If it flies away, is the Omen voided?

I was in a undercover parking lot at a ferry terminal and saw a moth the size of a CD.

• Like 1

I have never heard of a moth as an omen of death, but I have heard that if a bird flies in your house it is a sign of death.

Okay. First, calm down. You sound rather worried Second, research the types of butterflies and moths found in your area. It is very possibly that some bad juujuu got attached to a type of butterfly in your area a long time ago because it is black. Humans have a tendency to associate the color black with evil.

I have luna moths in my area, and I have to admit, they are something to see. A little scary at first because you don't think that moths can get that big, but once you get passed that, they are really majestic creatures.

But the only thing I have heard about moths and death is (don't laugh) connected with Mothman. It was said that he was an omen of death and misfortune.

Edited by rosenrot

Thanks for your advice..I was worried but I've calmed down since. I just panicked I guess. Thank you so much rosenrot. I hope to god your right. I'm not easy to scare, and this really did it for me...just because of things one hears and all..if it is true, then I hope Im the one to die and not anyone else in my family. I dont care to die, I mean I do but I'd rather it be me than anyone else.

Hopefully, it was just me overreacting...any witches out there? Pray that it is..:(

Anyone ever heard of this? I'm in desperate need for some answers. Only serious answers please. If you have nothing to contribute don't post at all because I'm as serious as I could be.

A few years ago, an old lady told me something about Black Butterflies, that are big, are a symbol of death. It means someone is going to die if it attaches itself to a house. She told me there is hope however, one must kill the Black Butterfly, inorder to avoid death. I'm really scared about this. I saw this huge black Butterfly on some lady's house just a few days later she died.

Also, one time at my aunts house one of them Butterflies(The Huge Blackone) landed on right next to the door. My grandma killed it before it got away. Not long after that, someone shot my aunt twice and she survived. I have not much to go on this subject but it frightens me alot. My mother has been feeling ill and she very young only 36. We are having alot of family problems and my mother was outside by the pool earlier today...she was doing some chores and one of them Huge Black Buttefly flew out and near her. When she went inside it retreated somewhere by the house. She was talking to one of my elder aunts and told her about it, the elder aunt warned her about the significance of the Black Butterfly (Which was very big..like a small bird) and told her to kill it if she sees it again. I just got home from work(On my break) and my mom told me to look for it in my room- the Balcony outside of my room. I did, and sure enough, it was right there. It frightened me! I tried killing it but it flew off into the sky and then right back to my balcony. my mom ran upstairs and tried killing it but escaped and onto the roof. We have a two story house and I climbed from the balcony to the roof and searched for it and almost killed it but it flew off again. It flew off into the sky and I just hope it doesnt come back again..I know it sounds ridiculous but I beg for some helpful advice of anyone who might know anything?

Well, I am avoiding butterflies from now on. That's scary. :(

Lets see, omens of death:

Dog howling

Owl howling over the house

Full moon being encircled by a cloud

Doing laundry between Christmas and New Year

Buzzard circling

Moths

Thanks, got another entry for my "The biggest Bulls**t of the world"collection. Thanks

• Like 2

I do not belive in any of these omens. I dont belive in killing something because of a tale/omen. I hope your mom feels better soon has she gone to the doctors? Do not let these tales worry you help mom out as best as you can and tell her not to worry also. These are beautiful creatures that GOD has made I dont think he would create them as a death sign. Now smile. :)

Well here's another to add to your list questionmark.

Last night, at around 3:00 am..I was startled by what seemed to be a bird chirping. I was weirded out since I've never heard birds chirping around my neighborhood at said hour. Long story short- It was an owl. Maybe I'm becoming increasingly paranoid..but owls are not common around my area, especially not around these parts- neither are those huge black moth/butterflies. Believe me I used to be skeptical about this kind of thing too...but it's my instincts you know? I truly feel as if something dangerous/life threatening is on the horizon..and it might be for me, my mother, or anyone else in this household. I don't know what to think? It's different when it's happening to you..you don't think like a skeptic anymore. Is there anyway I can avoid death>? Everyone in here is young..I could not survive a death in the family right now..If my mom dies as Ive said before..Im going to go with her.

Sweetie, I'm not sure if this is what you're looking for, or what you're talking about, but the first link is a large black butterfly is native to Mexico and southern Texas, and the second link is a little history of the omens of moths and butterfiles.

Butterfly

Omens

Last night, at around 3:00 am..I was startled by what seemed to be a bird chirping. I was weirded out since I've never heard birds chirping around my neighborhood at said hour. Long story short- It was an owl. Maybe I'm becoming increasingly paranoid..but owls are not common around my area, especially not around these parts- neither are those huge black moth/butterflies. Believe me I used to be skeptical about this kind of thing too...but it's my instincts you know? I truly feel as if something dangerous/life threatening is on the horizon..and it might be for me, my mother, or anyone else in this household. I don't know what to think? It's different when it's happening to you..you don't think like a skeptic anymore. Is there anyway I can avoid death>? Everyone in here is young..I could not survive a death in the family right now..If my mom dies as Ive said before..Im going to go with her.

Hey, I have an owl howling every night on the telephone mast in front of my house ... by the way they don't chirp, that would be an nightingale. If those omens were true I would hardly be alive 'cause I have lived here for almost 8 years. In those eight years one of my neighbors died... the guy was 80 years old so we cannot attribute it to an owl but rather to the four packages of cigarettes he smoked every day and the two quarts of booze he needed to function (which makes it a miracle in itself that he lasted so long).

And no, for the moment there is no way to avoid death. You can either live your life or you can relinquish it. The only way to BE forever is leaving something of worth for the next generations. And that includes making the best of every situation.

We all have to live with the fact that people will go from us, but to commit suicide because of that is being a traitor to their memory, cause they'll be here in our memories if we dare to live.

Quit looking for omens and start looking how you can stay in the memory of those who follow and keep those in memory who where here before you.

Sweetie, I'm not sure if this is what you're looking for, or what you're talking about, but the first link is a large black butterfly is native to Mexico and southern Texas, and the second link is a little history of the omens of moths and butterfiles.

Honestly, it's not common around here. And I hate to believe such tales but it is all coinciding(sp?) and it keeps getting me stressed out. Not to mention, today is Friday the 13th. Trust me, Im not naturally superstitious..but all these signs...could they all just be a strange coincidence and nothing more? I truly, truly hope so... things are looking bleak and I can see my whole life just falling apart if my mother dies. She is the only person that I love and she is all that I have. I'd rather it be me than her. I have prayed, that if someone in this household is going to die soon...I have asked for them to take my life instead of anyone elses. For all you witches out there..is there anyway one can be traded in for another? Can death make an exception? Will it trade?

Honestly, it's not common around here. And I hate to believe such tales but it is all coinciding(sp?) and it keeps getting me stressed out. Not to mention, today is Friday the 13th. Trust me, Im not naturally superstitious..but all these signs...could they all just be a strange coincidence and nothing more? I truly, truly hope so... things are looking bleak and I can see my whole life just falling apart if my mother dies. She is the only person that I love and she is all that I have. I'd rather it be me than her. I have prayed, that if someone in this household is going to die soon...I have asked for them to take my life instead of anyone elses. For all you witches out there..is there anyway one can be traded in for another? Can death make an exception? Will it trade?

You are very distressed; it is very evident. But please, calm down. Omens sometimes have meaning, other times they don't. I flew over the Bermuda Traingle on Friday the 13th. I'm not dead, but I did get really jumpy when we hit a big patch of turbulance.

Now I do pay attention to omens. Not typically omens of death, but omens of weather. However, I have looked into omens concerning black butterflies and moths. I don't mean to insult, but are you of hispanic background? The only omens I have found dealing with black butterflies and moths comes from Mexican origin (I believe).

And I wish your mother the best of health.

Hi and welcome to UM...You seem to have yourself all paranoid about the butterfly and now the owl...As one post stated, these butterflies are common in So. Texas and your profile said that is where you are from...Sometimes, insects lay dormant for years, and then decide to make an appearance, which could be the case with you...Also seeing or hearing an owl in daylight is a bad omen, not at night...I'm sure worrying about your mom is taking it's toll and stressing you out, but you have to relax and think positive...As far as today being Friday the 13th, well I have my whole family flying into Jersey tonight, from the South , and good friends flying from Jersey to Florida, and I haven't given it a second thought....It's not good for your mom to see you like this, and it's not healthy for you,...I hope all turns our o.k.... :tu:

Edited by goalienan

You are very distressed; it is very evident. But please, calm down. Omens sometimes have meaning, other times they don't. I flew over the Bermuda Traingle on Friday the 13th. I'm not dead, but I did get really jumpy when we hit a big patch of turbulance.

Now I do pay attention to omens. Not typically omens of death, but omens of weather. However, I have looked into omens concerning black butterflies and moths. I don't mean to insult, but are you of hispanic background? The only omens I have found dealing with black butterflies and moths comes from Mexican origin (I believe).

And I wish your mother the best of health.

Well yes. I recently learned my grandfather was of Swedish decent and my grandmother is Mexican. I guess these beliefs were passed on to my mother and her sisters early on by their mother. I hate to get immersed in all these old wives tales...but sometimes you have to wonder you know? As i've previously stated; I am not to easy to make a believer out of- I believe in logic and science as well...though maybe after thinking about it, in hindsight- Maybe I am easy to convince and whatnot.

It's just weird and scary when you see these things happening around you and you feel a negative energy around. I know it sounds crazy and believe you me, I wouldn't believe in this if I couldn't feel it. But I do feel it. I feel somekind of tension in the air..a dangerous one..You know what I mean? Like somekind of energy..I can't really explain it...as it's been rare when I can sense these things. I'm certainly no expert.

Also, I have calmed down considerably but I won't lie- this whole ordeal is still lingering silently in the back of my mind.

Edited by Salem Mora

I have several out of time birds chirping around 2-3 am, nobody died >.>

usually people die because they believe in omens cause they do everything to avoid these bad omens only to fall into the death trap itself.

Well yes. I recently learned my grandfather was of Swedish decent and my grandmother is Mexican. I guess these beliefs were passed on to my mother and her sisters early on by their mother.

Don't discount the Swedish side of your family when it comes to weird beliefs and superstition. My great grandmother from rural Sweden lived to be 102, so I got to know her pretty well. You wouldn't believe some of the unusual beliefs she had. Maybe the Swedish side of your family is part Saami. If so, they've been herding reindeer and developing their own take on the world since the Ice Age.

I have never heard of a moth as an omen of death, but I have heard that if a bird flies in your house it is a sign of death.

come on now, you saw that on lost.

Hope that you and your mom are feeling better

Today..the weirdest thing happened....this bird..its not an owl like I previously thought..it's something else..its big and white, similiar to an owl..You whistle at it and it whistles at you right back and in the exact same way..But thats not the strange thing. The tree it was standing on...it was one of the bigger and more beautful trees on my yard. But only hours later(today)..the tree has dried out and its leaves have rapidly fallen. All my other trees around it..they're all fine and green. How could this tree dry out in a matter of a couple of hours? I believe this creature has killed it. This is so strange and it truly scares me. Damn...why me? Sigh..Stupid me for not believing in these things. I need a witch..someone who knows about this..That bird..it keeps coming back. And it's not normal..it just isint normal...Im scared as hell but..hopefully there's a light at the end of the tunnel. I hope so.

I read my posts in here everyday..mostly hoping someone with experience in this area can help me...I read my posts and I know it sounds crazy..it sounds like something out of a scary story..but damn..I dunno what to think anymore...What's happening? Can someone please help me..your sarcastic replies are of no help...I need someone who's had something similiar happen..I need advice on this please...just please..

Sweetheart, don't trade your life in for anothers, you can't make deals and you will end up making yourself very ill :(. This world is better with you in it rather than out of it. Read what you have posted below:

Today..the weirdest thing happened....this bird..its not an owl like I previously thought..it's something else..its big and white, similiar to an owl..You whistle at it and it whistles at you right back and in the exact same way..But thats not the strange thing. The tree it was standing on...it was one of the bigger and more beautful trees on my yard. But only hours later(today)..the tree has dried out and its leaves have rapidly fallen. All my other trees around it..they're all fine and green. How could this tree dry out in a matter of a couple of hours? I believe this creature has killed it. This is so strange and it truly scares me. Damn...why me? Sigh..Stupid me for not believing in these things. I need a witch..someone who knows about this..That bird..it keeps coming back. And it's not normal..it just isint normal...Im scared as hell but..hopefully there's a light at the end of the tunnel. I hope so.

I read my posts in here everyday..mostly hoping someone with experience in this area can help me...I read my posts and I know it sounds crazy..it sounds like something out of a scary story..but damn..I dunno what to think anymore...What's happening? Can someone please help me..your sarcastic replies are of no help...I need someone who's had something similiar happen..I need advice on this please...just please..

The tree in your backyard may have been powerful in some way, it was that that died - hence the black moth. The creature did not kill it, it was due to die.

*hugs*

Edited by Lotus Flower

[/quo

Maybe the owl wizzed on your tree and poisoned it. If the owl comes back take a paintball gun and shoot it in its butt. Trust me, it won't come back again and if it does shoot it again. Not to be mean but if this is some evil bird you can laugh at the mark on its butt and it will be tagged for easy identification. But if you try it, make sure you are a good shot so you don't hit the neighbors house. ;)

Hi

No need to worry.

I am lead to believe that the black moth is a visitation from a deceased person.

It happened to me last night thats why I'm also trawling for answers.

I was about to pck it in for the night. Turned of all the light around my house. Then I rememberd my cell phoe was in the lounge, so I went back and as I turned on the light this huge black moth was flying straight towrds me, then past be and into my bedroom. It was about as startled as me. So I ussured it through the bathroom window with a towel, but I did not want to kill it.

I felt wierd about the whole thing because it felt spooky. So I went onto the inet and found this site about old wives tales:

http://www.oldsuperstitions.com/index.php?query=animal

"A big black moth in the house means a deceased one is just visiting reincarnated through that moth."

Hey goodluck - let me know how things go. Hopefully I'm still around to tell the tale. So best check on me later. x

Visit My Website :o

Only serious answers please.

Moths

Thanks, got another entry for my "The biggest Bulls**t of the world"collection. Thanks

I'm glad to see you took her post seriously. :hmm:

Haven't heard of your story before but I have heard of a similar story about a creature called "The Mothman". I don't know when sightings stopped occuring, but I heard it around the time the Silver Bridge collapsed and 46 people died in that incident. That was around where the mothman had been spotted too.