Thursday, September 21, 2017

Supporting a losing team can be bad for you

Posted on Saturday, 24 August, 2013 | Comment icon 23 comments

What happens when your team doesn't win ? Image Credit: Donald Riesbeck Jr
Supporting a sports team that doesn't do very well could actually be harmful to your own health.
Researchers at the European Institute of Business Administration have found that experiencing the defeat of your favorite team at a sports game can do more than just make you feel down, it can actually have a measurable physical impact on your health.

In a new study, Professor Pierre Chandon and doctoral student Yann Cornil determined that fans are more likely to binge on foods rich in calories and saturated fats the day after their team suffers a major defeat.

To learn more about this connection, Cornil and Chandon looked at the eating behavior of fans after two seasons of NFL games. The results indicated that fans ate up to 16 percent more unhealthy foods following a loss for their team compared to a win.

"The idea could be that there is comfort in food," said Dr. Cornil. "We reach for sweet and fatty food in particular, like cake or chips, as it helps ease our mood."

Source: Telegraph | Comments (23)

Tags: Health, Sport, Diet

Comment icon #14 Posted by Asadora on 22 August, 2013, 22:47
omg Leeds.....rubbish lol Haha. I am so glad you don't live where I do, Nixon!
Comment icon #15 Posted by spud the mackem on 23 August, 2013, 7:57
Its about time Leeds pulled their socks up,and got back in the Premier,we always had a good scrap when we met.I won't mention 1973....Oh sorry I just did.Apologies to Shrooma.hee hee.
Comment icon #16 Posted by NiteMarcher on 24 August, 2013, 14:09
Win or lose, we always have what I call an "ultimate spread" when getting ready for any game or sport--football, baseball, soccer, etc. We don't just watch, we party...prior to, during and after
Comment icon #17 Posted by ash68 on 24 August, 2013, 19:22
Man U fan all my life,never felt ill or low in my early years when we won very little but can't say that I felt great as a result of 38 trophies in 25 years either ( just wanted to get that one in! ) even when they got relegated all those years ago my health both physical and mental were fine,I think this is a case of you'll find what you look for
Comment icon #18 Posted by Junior Chubb on 24 August, 2013, 21:18
This explains the sorry state of West Ham fans and their injury ridden players...
Comment icon #19 Posted by omerta on 24 August, 2013, 22:51
Guys, I'm an Oilers fan.
Comment icon #20 Posted by spud the mackem on 24 August, 2013, 22:53
Guys, I'm an Oilers fan. Who ?
Comment icon #21 Posted by AlienDan on 26 August, 2013, 2:58
Happy to hate sports!
Comment icon #22 Posted by brlesq1 on 26 August, 2013, 7:06
Good thing I don't follow sports.
Comment icon #23 Posted by mfluder on 30 August, 2013, 22:12
Guys, I'm an Oilers fan. Whether it's Houston or Edmonton, stay loyal! Fairweather fans are ****.

Giant prehistoric frog ate small dinosaurs
9-21-2017
At the size of a beach ball, the monster-sized Beelzebufo ampinga was the largest frog that ever lived.
550 million-year-old creature mystery solved
9-20-2017
Scientists believe that they have finally worked out what type of creature 'Dickinsonia' actually was.
Porpoise unearthed in medieval graveyard
9-20-2017
A recent archaeological dig near Guernsey has yielded something rather unexpected - a porpoise skeleton.
Mystery surrounds flushed money in Geneva
9-19-2017
An unknown individual has been flushing thousands of euros down the toilet and nobody knows why.
Science-fiction spacesuits
Posted 9-21-2017 | 0 comments
Adam Savage investigates a number of intricately detailed spacesuits used in movies.

Extreme neodymium magnet
Posted 9-20-2017 | 0 comments
Unboxing a magnet so powerful that it can suspend huge weights off the underside of a table.

Derren Brown and new age crystals
Posted 9-19-2017 | 0 comments
The psychological illusionist is joined by actor Martin Freeman for this remarkable trick.

I'll eat my hat
Posted 9-18-2017 | 0 comments
Where did the strange phrase 'I'll eat my hat' actually come from ?

Meet the microscopic life in your home
Posted 9-17-2017 | 0 comments
Think your home is free of meddlesome microscopic life forms ? Think again.

Guardian angel ?
9-13-2017 | Middle of nowhere Iowa

I'm not normal, but I'm not alone
9-13-2017 | South Africa

When I was very little
9-13-2017 | Sturgis So.Dakota

Weird light orbs and chills
9-13-2017 | Poland

Unexplained light flashes
8-30-2017 | Louisiana

A night that I will never forget
8-18-2017 | Massena, NY