Sunday, December 11, 2016

Supporting a losing team can be bad for you

Posted on Saturday, 24 August, 2013 | Comment icon 23 comments

What happens when your team doesn't win ? Image Credit: Donald Riesbeck Jr
Supporting a sports team that doesn't do very well could actually be harmful to your own health.
Researchers at the European Institute of Business Administration have found that experiencing the defeat of your favorite team at a sports game can do more than just make you feel down, it can actually have a measurable physical impact on your health.

In a new study, Professor Pierre Chandon and doctoral student Yann Cornil determined that fans are more likely to binge on foods rich in calories and saturated fats the day after their team suffers a major defeat.

To learn more about this connection, Cornil and Chandon looked at the eating behavior of fans after two seasons of NFL games. The results indicated that fans ate up to 16 percent more unhealthy foods following a loss for their team compared to a win.

"The idea could be that there is comfort in food," said Dr. Cornil. "We reach for sweet and fatty food in particular, like cake or chips, as it helps ease our mood."

Source: Telegraph | Comments (23)

Tags: Health, Sport, Diet

Comment icon #14 Posted by Asadora on 22 August, 2013, 22:47
omg Leeds.....rubbish lol Haha. I am so glad you don't live where I do, Nixon!
Comment icon #15 Posted by spud the mackem on 23 August, 2013, 7:57
Its about time Leeds pulled their socks up,and got back in the Premier,we always had a good scrap when we met.I won't mention 1973....Oh sorry I just did.Apologies to Shrooma.hee hee.
Comment icon #16 Posted by NiteMarcher on 24 August, 2013, 14:09
Win or lose, we always have what I call an "ultimate spread" when getting ready for any game or sport--football, baseball, soccer, etc. We don't just watch, we party...prior to, during and after
Comment icon #17 Posted by ash68 on 24 August, 2013, 19:22
Man U fan all my life,never felt ill or low in my early years when we won very little but can't say that I felt great as a result of 38 trophies in 25 years either ( just wanted to get that one in! ) even when they got relegated all those years ago my health both physical and mental were fine,I think this is a case of you'll find what you look for
Comment icon #18 Posted by Junior Chubb on 24 August, 2013, 21:18
This explains the sorry state of West Ham fans and their injury ridden players...
Comment icon #19 Posted by omerta on 24 August, 2013, 22:51
Guys, I'm an Oilers fan.
Comment icon #20 Posted by spud the mackem on 24 August, 2013, 22:53
Guys, I'm an Oilers fan. Who ?
Comment icon #21 Posted by AlienDan on 26 August, 2013, 2:58
Happy to hate sports!
Comment icon #22 Posted by brlesq1 on 26 August, 2013, 7:06
Good thing I don't follow sports.
Comment icon #23 Posted by mfluder on 30 August, 2013, 22:12
Guys, I'm an Oilers fan. Whether it's Houston or Edmonton, stay loyal! Fairweather fans are ****.

Face of Robert the Bruce has been revealed
12-10-2016
Scientists have put together a reconstruction of what the famous Scottish king would have looked like.
It is possible to taste garlic with your feet
12-10-2016
A bizarre science experiment has shown that you don't need to actually eat garlic in order to taste it.
What would a talking monkey sound like ?
12-10-2016
Scientists at Princeton University have simulated what an English-speaking macaque would sound like.
New Rendlesham UFO witness comes forward
12-9-2016
A former security police officer has described the object he witnessed that night as 'not of this world'.
Featured book

By Toryn Chapman
Campbell Mackenzie is a successful lawyer with occasional feelings of déjà vu. There's just one problem, though - it's not déjà vu.
World's largest Rube Goldberg machine
Posted 12-10-2016 | 1 comment
This ludicrously convoluted contraption was used to turn on Christmas tree lights.

Why do some coins have ridges ?
Posted 12-9-2016 | 2 comments
What is the purpose of the ridges found around the edges of some coins ?

Exploding 6ft water balloon in slow motion
Posted 12-8-2016 | 1 comment
The Slo Mo Guys film what happens when you sit inside a giant exploding water balloon.

What happens when you swallow gum ?
Posted 12-7-2016 | 3 comments
Ever swallowed a piece of chewing gum by accident ? Here's what happens.

Indestructible coating ?
Posted 12-6-2016 | 5 comments
A look at polyurea, an elastomer that can make objects extremely difficult to damage.

Not my daughter