Saturday, September 23, 2017

World's largest fish grew up to 50ft

Posted on Monday, 26 August, 2013 | Comment icon 20 comments

Prehistoric monster - Leedsichthys grew up to 50ft. Image Credit: CC 3.0 Dmitry Bogdanov
The monstrous 16m-long Leedsichthys problematicus would have swam the ocean 160 million years ago.
The fossil remains of the sea-faring behemoth were unearthed at a quarry by an international science team led by Professor Jeff Liston of the National Museums of Scotland. The discovery is important because it shows that while the dinosaurs were increasing in size on land, creatures in the world's oceans were also getting larger.

Small fragments of Leedsichthys specimens have been found before however until now it wasn't possible to get a proper idea of the creature's full size. So problematic in fact was the collection of information about the species that these difficulties were even reflected in its name "problematicus".

Despite its huge size, Leedsichthys would have been a gentle giant, feeding on shoals of plankton by sweeping it up through its gills which acted like a filter. This mechanism proved highly effective, helping the species to thrive in the world's oceans until it was wiped out along with the dinosaurs 65 million years ago.

Source: Guardian | Comments (20)

Tags: Fish, Dinosaur, Jurassic

Comment icon #11 Posted by Twin on 27 August, 2013, 0:45
I think Shadow Sot is right. Megalodon got up to about 60 ft.
Comment icon #12 Posted by Sundew on 27 August, 2013, 1:14
"You're gonna need a bigger boat!"
Comment icon #13 Posted by cacoseraph on 27 August, 2013, 2:41
Comment icon #14 Posted by Eldorado on 27 August, 2013, 9:46
Whale sharks get up to around 60', I thought. Edit: my bad, 40' maybe a smidge more Welcome to the forums, Cacoseraph!
Comment icon #15 Posted by SameerPrehistorica on 27 August, 2013, 13:16
When this fish was first discovered, it was estimated at 70 to 100 feet.I was excited.Then after some days its size was insanely reduced to 25 feet or more.Then i lost interest. Now this is a good news.50 feet is not bad. But so far Megalodon is the largest fish known. I did had in my mind to make Leedsichthys someday if it was like at least 50 feet. Now it does.I want the Leedsichthys Also i did liked its last name - Problematicus.It was kind of funny. Whale sharks get up to around 60', I thought. Edit: my bad, 40' maybe a smidge more On average,Whale shark is like 40 feet long and weighing 2... [More]
Comment icon #16 Posted by cacoseraph on 27 August, 2013, 19:00
Welcome to the forums, Cacoseraph! Thanks I know why I thought 60'. I've been going through all the news items that interest me on UM and came across this: http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/viewnews.php?id=200244
Comment icon #17 Posted by Sundew on 27 August, 2013, 19:02
Interesting that it may have been a plankton feeder, many if not most of the largest sea creatures feed on some of the smallest organisms: the baleen whales, Whale, Basking and Megamouth Sharks, Mantas. Plankton must be an extremely rich food source to grow such large animals. Of course there are exceptions: Great White Sharks, Orca, Sperm Whales, and the extinct Megalodon.
Comment icon #18 Posted by ealdwita on 27 August, 2013, 21:29
D'you want large fries with that?
Comment icon #19 Posted by MonkeysWorth on 28 August, 2013, 0:43
what happened to the see full article links?
Comment icon #20 Posted by cacoseraph on 28 August, 2013, 1:05
what happened to the see full article links? it is still there. if you are looking at certain views of these articles the links do not show up. here it is again, just in case something else is going on: http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/news/253508/worlds-largest-fish-grew-up-to-50ft

100 people could live on the Moon by 2040
9-22-2017
ESA's ambitious 'Moon village' plan could see humans living on the lunar surface within 25 years.
Man who prevented World War 3 dies aged 77
9-22-2017
Former Soviet military officer Stanislav Petrov made a decision in 1983 that may have saved the world.
Doomsayers claim the world will end tomorrow
9-22-2017
Rumors of another apocalyptic collision with the mythical planet Nibiru have been circulating the Internet.
Plants may need to sleep, just like we do
9-21-2017
A new study has suggested that sleep may actually be fundamental to all life, not just to animals.
Exploring Antarctica's hidden depths
Posted 9-22-2017 | 0 comments
Scientists investigate some of the wildlife hidden beneath the Antarctic ice.

Science-fiction spacesuits
Posted 9-21-2017 | 0 comments
Adam Savage investigates a number of intricately detailed spacesuits used in movies.

Extreme neodymium magnet
Posted 9-20-2017 | 0 comments
Unboxing a magnet so powerful that it can suspend huge weights off the underside of a table.

Derren Brown and new age crystals
Posted 9-19-2017 | 0 comments
The psychological illusionist is joined by actor Martin Freeman for this remarkable trick.

I'll eat my hat
Posted 9-18-2017 | 0 comments
Where did the strange phrase 'I'll eat my hat' actually come from ?

Guardian angel ?
9-13-2017 | Middle of nowhere Iowa

I'm not normal, but I'm not alone
9-13-2017 | South Africa

When I was very little
9-13-2017 | Sturgis So.Dakota

Weird light orbs and chills
9-13-2017 | Poland

Unexplained light flashes
8-30-2017 | Louisiana

A night that I will never forget
8-18-2017 | Massena, NY