Monday, July 24, 2017

World's largest fish grew up to 50ft

Posted on Monday, 26 August, 2013 | Comment icon 20 comments

Prehistoric monster - Leedsichthys grew up to 50ft. Image Credit: CC 3.0 Dmitry Bogdanov
The monstrous 16m-long Leedsichthys problematicus would have swam the ocean 160 million years ago.
The fossil remains of the sea-faring behemoth were unearthed at a quarry by an international science team led by Professor Jeff Liston of the National Museums of Scotland. The discovery is important because it shows that while the dinosaurs were increasing in size on land, creatures in the world's oceans were also getting larger.

Small fragments of Leedsichthys specimens have been found before however until now it wasn't possible to get a proper idea of the creature's full size. So problematic in fact was the collection of information about the species that these difficulties were even reflected in its name "problematicus".

Despite its huge size, Leedsichthys would have been a gentle giant, feeding on shoals of plankton by sweeping it up through its gills which acted like a filter. This mechanism proved highly effective, helping the species to thrive in the world's oceans until it was wiped out along with the dinosaurs 65 million years ago.

Source: Guardian | Comments (20)

Tags: Fish, Dinosaur, Jurassic

Comment icon #11 Posted by Twin on 27 August, 2013, 0:45
I think Shadow Sot is right. Megalodon got up to about 60 ft.
Comment icon #12 Posted by Sundew on 27 August, 2013, 1:14
"You're gonna need a bigger boat!"
Comment icon #13 Posted by cacoseraph on 27 August, 2013, 2:41
Comment icon #14 Posted by Eldorado on 27 August, 2013, 9:46
Whale sharks get up to around 60', I thought. Edit: my bad, 40' maybe a smidge more Welcome to the forums, Cacoseraph!
Comment icon #15 Posted by SameerPrehistorica on 27 August, 2013, 13:16
When this fish was first discovered, it was estimated at 70 to 100 feet.I was excited.Then after some days its size was insanely reduced to 25 feet or more.Then i lost interest. Now this is a good news.50 feet is not bad. But so far Megalodon is the largest fish known. I did had in my mind to make Leedsichthys someday if it was like at least 50 feet. Now it does.I want the Leedsichthys Also i did liked its last name - Problematicus.It was kind of funny. Whale sharks get up to around 60', I thought. Edit: my bad, 40' maybe a smidge more On average,Whale shark is like 40 feet long and weighing 2... [More]
Comment icon #16 Posted by cacoseraph on 27 August, 2013, 19:00
Welcome to the forums, Cacoseraph! Thanks I know why I thought 60'. I've been going through all the news items that interest me on UM and came across this: http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/viewnews.php?id=200244
Comment icon #17 Posted by Sundew on 27 August, 2013, 19:02
Interesting that it may have been a plankton feeder, many if not most of the largest sea creatures feed on some of the smallest organisms: the baleen whales, Whale, Basking and Megamouth Sharks, Mantas. Plankton must be an extremely rich food source to grow such large animals. Of course there are exceptions: Great White Sharks, Orca, Sperm Whales, and the extinct Megalodon.
Comment icon #18 Posted by ealdwita on 27 August, 2013, 21:29
D'you want large fries with that?
Comment icon #19 Posted by MonkeysWorth on 28 August, 2013, 0:43
what happened to the see full article links?
Comment icon #20 Posted by cacoseraph on 28 August, 2013, 1:05
what happened to the see full article links? it is still there. if you are looking at certain views of these articles the links do not show up. here it is again, just in case something else is going on: http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/news/253508/worlds-largest-fish-grew-up-to-50ft

Mystery woman 'wails through letterboxes'
7-23-2017
Several households in England have been plagued by a woman crying through their letterboxes at night.
Robot ventures inside Fukushima reactor 3
7-23-2017
Scientists in Japan have identified what could be fuel debris within the devastated nuclear reactor.
Public names locomotive 'Trainy McTrainface'
7-23-2017
A recent poll in Sweden has shown, once again, why asking the public to name anything is a bad idea.
Did sea creatures push US in to Vietnam War ?
7-22-2017
Back in 1964, the Gulf of Tonkin incident resulted in a renewed commitment to war with Vietnam.
Stretchy batteries
Posted 7-23-2017 | 0 comments
Scientists have come up with a way to make batteries and their cases stretchy.

Counting to one billion
Posted 7-22-2017 | 1 comment

Dolphins beach themselves to catch fish
Posted 7-21-2017 | 0 comments

Do not microwave an airbag
Posted 7-20-2017 | 2 comments
The Slo Mo Guys capture what happens when you put an airbag in a microwave.

How do fireworks get their colors ?
Posted 7-19-2017 | 0 comments
Fireworks are well known for their colorful explosions, but where do the colors come from ?

Spider signs
7-21-2017 | Michigan

My ancestry is calling me
7-21-2017 | Morgan Hill, Ca

I can hear someone
6-27-2017 | Maryland

My dead father spoke to me
6-27-2017 | Alabama

Is my child predicting our death ?
6-27-2017 | Lincoln Park, MI