Thursday, September 21, 2017

Haunted house spooks potential buyers

Posted on Thursday, 26 September, 2013 | Comment icon 9 comments

Does the ghost of a woman still haunt the property ? Image Credit: CC BY 2.0 Ed Schipul
A three-story French Baroque-style house in China is believed to have had its fair share of ghosts.
At first glance Chaonei No. 81 in central Beijing has all the hallmarks of an expensive and extravagant property, but inside the million dollar mansion it remains a shell of its former self.

According to reports, in 1949 the wife of a high-ranking Kuomintang official hung herself on the rafters of the building after he abandoned her there, sparking decades of ghost stories and accounts of paranormal phenomena.

"Even in the 1970s, people thought the house was haunted," said Li Yongjie who grew up nearby. "As children, we would play hide-and-seek in the house, but we didnít dare come in by ourselves. Even the Red Guards who lived in the house during the Cultural Revolution got scared and left."

Despite being on a historic preservation list which protects it from being torn down the house has remained empty for some years and has attracted little interest from buyers. The building has been viewed by some as an example of how a reputation for being haunted can make an otherwise perfectly good property unsellable.

Source: NY Times | Comments (9)

Tags: Ghost, Haunting

Comment icon #1 Posted by paperdyer on 26 September, 2013, 14:05
"The rights to Chaonei No. 81 were handed off to the Beijing Catholic Diocese in the late 1990s." The church should go in there and exorcise the place to get rid of the ghosts. Get GHI to check the palce before and afterwards to see if it worked.
Comment icon #2 Posted by YukiEsmaElite0 on 26 September, 2013, 17:33
If there's a ghost in that house, then they need to see why her spirit couldn't pass on. It's torchure to leave her there...
Comment icon #3 Posted by Ajiesh on 26 September, 2013, 22:52
YukiEsmaElite0 , So what do u suggest ,Practically !
Comment icon #4 Posted by SkepticalB on 27 September, 2013, 1:20
....Hey, I'll take it. Yeah, totally take care of those "ghosts"
Comment icon #5 Posted by Simbi Laveau on 27 September, 2013, 1:29
The Chinese are deathly afraid of ghosts .
Comment icon #6 Posted by YukiEsmaElite0 on 27 September, 2013, 16:50
I suggest an exorism. She needs to be able to pass on to eternal peace.
Comment icon #7 Posted by Lava_Lady on 29 September, 2013, 2:01
I absolutely love that style of building... I would buy it and fix it up and on Halloween I'd have a huge, scary party.
Comment icon #8 Posted by Stubbly_Dooright on 29 September, 2013, 10:05
I agree with Yuki, ghosts were people too, and I feel for them. I think there are quite a few ways that could be tried to help her. At least, the paranormal groups tend to investigate to see what's going on and see what they can do. It seems that way, from my perspective. I wonder if there is something, a rule or law, that prevents Chinese real estate companies or towns that forbid informing perspective buyers of the possibility of a property being haunted. One such place here in the states, my husband and I were looking at years ago, I had a strange feeling, and was told that elderly lady who... [More]
Comment icon #9 Posted by Robert1 on 4 November, 2013, 0:14
Maybe they should turn it into a tourist attraction and make some money from it.

Plants may need to sleep, just like we do
9-21-2017
A new study has suggested that sleep may actually be fundamental to all life, not just to animals.
Europe withdraws from anti-asteroid mission
9-21-2017
An upcoming mission designed to test out the deflection of a large asteroid has hit a bit of a snag.
Giant prehistoric frog ate small dinosaurs
9-21-2017
At the size of a beach ball, the monster-sized Beelzebufo ampinga was the largest frog that ever lived.
550 million-year-old creature mystery solved
9-20-2017
Scientists believe that they have finally worked out what type of creature 'Dickinsonia' actually was.
Science-fiction spacesuits
Posted 9-21-2017 | 0 comments
Adam Savage investigates a number of intricately detailed spacesuits used in movies.

Extreme neodymium magnet
Posted 9-20-2017 | 0 comments
Unboxing a magnet so powerful that it can suspend huge weights off the underside of a table.

Derren Brown and new age crystals
Posted 9-19-2017 | 0 comments
The psychological illusionist is joined by actor Martin Freeman for this remarkable trick.

Guardian angel ?
9-13-2017 | Middle of nowhere Iowa

I'm not normal, but I'm not alone
9-13-2017 | South Africa

When I was very little
9-13-2017 | Sturgis So.Dakota

Weird light orbs and chills
9-13-2017 | Poland

Unexplained light flashes
8-30-2017 | Louisiana

A night that I will never forget
8-18-2017 | Massena, NY