Friday, April 28, 2017

Loch Ness Monster photo revealed as a hoax

Posted on Saturday, 12 October, 2013 | Comment icon 29 comments

Many photographs of the monster have turned out to be hoaxes. Image Credit: CC 2.0 Dave Conner
One of the most convincing photographs in years has turned out to be the product of an elaborate hoax.
The Loch Ness Monster has something of a poor track record when it comes to photographs. Many of the most famous pictures showing an alleged creature in the waters of Scotland's deepest lake have been exposed over the years as nothing but fakes and forgeries.

This trend seemed set to change when photographs of a mysterious hump protruding from the water were taken last year by cruise operator George Edwards. The photographs attracted worldwide attention and were described by long-time Nessie hunter Steve Feltham as the best photographs he'd ever seen.

Disappointment was soon to follow once again however as it was revealed that the images showed nothing more than a carbon fiber prop that was used in a National Geographic documentary from 2011 called "The Truth Behind the Loch Ness Monster."

Edwards, who was involved in the film's production, maintains that the deception was "just a bit of fun". "These so-called experts come along with their theories about big waves and big fish, and their visitor centre, but I'm sick to death of them," he said.

Source: Telegraph | Comments (29)

Tags: Loch Ness, Monster, Scotland

Comment icon #20 Posted by highdesert50 on 14 October, 2013, 10:52
I believe Sir Doyle said it properly ... There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact. And, I would assume that Mr Edwards, who operates a cruise boat on the loch, will now cater to budding comedians.
Comment icon #21 Posted by Myles on 14 October, 2013, 14:10
its time hoaxers were given a big fine for the expense they cause many people I disagree. Of course it depends on the degree of the hoax. Without hoaxes, I dare say that this section of the forum would not exist. No harm done. Gave the news something to fill time.
Comment icon #22 Posted by freetoroam on 14 October, 2013, 14:35
I can not express my disapointment at finding out it was a fake, i was so taken in by it. Not to worry, i still have all those virgin mary and bigfoot photos to keep me intereste ZZZzzzzz.
Comment icon #23 Posted by Still Waters on 14 October, 2013, 15:06
In general I'd agree with you... but I have to ask myself if this guy profited from his deception... I reckon he could do quite well from this. He's made himself a bit of a celebrity now and no doubt tourists will be only too willing to take a trip on Loch Ness in his boat. Even if it's just to take a few photos of themselves with him to take home as a keepsake.
Comment icon #24 Posted by Lava_Lady on 14 October, 2013, 21:39
He seems like a colossal narcissistic, arrogant ass... regardless of perpetrating this particular hoax or not. Having actually perpetrated it just confirms it.
Comment icon #25 Posted by Slave2Fate on 16 October, 2013, 7:07
Never mind, I mistook the 'reveal' photo for the original...
Comment icon #26 Posted by BettyTheYeti on 16 October, 2013, 8:54
Comment icon #27 Posted by Junior Chubb on 16 October, 2013, 9:05
The original story annoyed me, this one just gave me the hump.
Comment icon #28 Posted by Rlyeh on 17 October, 2013, 6:02
And the damage they cause to the credibility of real witnesses.... A "real witness" is just someone who hasn't admitted to hoaxing.
Comment icon #29 Posted by Rlyeh on 17 October, 2013, 6:03
I think that he did in fact see the real monster, but when he realised his fifteen minutes of fame were up he built this fake to try and get back in the spot light for just a moment longer. But obviously it was a dragon that he saw.

Giant spider webs cover field in New Zealand
4-27-2017
Fascinating new footage has emerged online showing an entire field engulfed by a huge expanse of cobwebs.
Did first Americans arrive 130,000 years ago?
4-27-2017
A new discovery has indicated that the first humans arrived in the Americas much earlier than thought.
China and Europe plan to build 'Moon Village'
4-27-2017
ESA has confirmed rumors that the two space agencies are planning an ambitious lunar collaboration.
Mystery of Antarctica's 'Blood Falls' solved
4-26-2017
Researchers have made a new discovery in relation to one of Antarctica's most unusual natural features.
Venus flytrap anemone
Posted 4-27-2017 | 0 comments
A look at one particularly unusual creature which lives down at the bottom of the ocean.

Lightning seen from space
Posted 4-26-2017 | 0 comments
Astronaut Thomas Pesquet captured this footage from the International Space Station.

Slo Mo Guys Inception
Posted 4-25-2017 | 0 comments
Gav and Dan attempt to recreate a scene from Inception involving a bath of cold water.

Boiling water meets freezing air
Posted 4-24-2017 | 1 comment
A look at what happens when you throw boiling water out in to the freezing Russian winter air.

Cave-dwelling spiders
Posted 4-23-2017 | 3 comments
A new species of spider has been found living in caves and mine shafts in Mexico.

Is the Boar Man real ?
4-26-2017 | Wichita Mountains, Oklahoma

Possessed boom box 1988
4-26-2017 | Santa Ana

Grandpa's visit
4-14-2017 | Portugal

Mysterious dog
4-14-2017 | Utah

A night to remember
4-14-2017 | Philippines

Am I going crazy ?
3-30-2017 | South Africa

Sleep paralysis or my father ?
3-30-2017 | Los Angeles