Thursday, August 17, 2017

Loch Ness Monster photo revealed as a hoax

Posted on Saturday, 12 October, 2013 | Comment icon 29 comments

Many photographs of the monster have turned out to be hoaxes. Image Credit: CC 2.0 Dave Conner
One of the most convincing photographs in years has turned out to be the product of an elaborate hoax.
The Loch Ness Monster has something of a poor track record when it comes to photographs. Many of the most famous pictures showing an alleged creature in the waters of Scotland's deepest lake have been exposed over the years as nothing but fakes and forgeries.

This trend seemed set to change when photographs of a mysterious hump protruding from the water were taken last year by cruise operator George Edwards. The photographs attracted worldwide attention and were described by long-time Nessie hunter Steve Feltham as the best photographs he'd ever seen.

Disappointment was soon to follow once again however as it was revealed that the images showed nothing more than a carbon fiber prop that was used in a National Geographic documentary from 2011 called "The Truth Behind the Loch Ness Monster."

Edwards, who was involved in the film's production, maintains that the deception was "just a bit of fun". "These so-called experts come along with their theories about big waves and big fish, and their visitor centre, but I'm sick to death of them," he said.

Source: Telegraph | Comments (29)

Tags: Loch Ness, Monster, Scotland

Comment icon #20 Posted by highdesert50 on 14 October, 2013, 10:52
I believe Sir Doyle said it properly ... There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact. And, I would assume that Mr Edwards, who operates a cruise boat on the loch, will now cater to budding comedians.
Comment icon #21 Posted by Myles on 14 October, 2013, 14:10
its time hoaxers were given a big fine for the expense they cause many people I disagree. Of course it depends on the degree of the hoax. Without hoaxes, I dare say that this section of the forum would not exist. No harm done. Gave the news something to fill time.
Comment icon #22 Posted by freetoroam on 14 October, 2013, 14:35
I can not express my disapointment at finding out it was a fake, i was so taken in by it. Not to worry, i still have all those virgin mary and bigfoot photos to keep me intereste ZZZzzzzz.
Comment icon #23 Posted by Still Waters on 14 October, 2013, 15:06
In general I'd agree with you... but I have to ask myself if this guy profited from his deception... I reckon he could do quite well from this. He's made himself a bit of a celebrity now and no doubt tourists will be only too willing to take a trip on Loch Ness in his boat. Even if it's just to take a few photos of themselves with him to take home as a keepsake.
Comment icon #24 Posted by Lava_Lady on 14 October, 2013, 21:39
He seems like a colossal narcissistic, arrogant ass... regardless of perpetrating this particular hoax or not. Having actually perpetrated it just confirms it.
Comment icon #25 Posted by Slave2Fate on 16 October, 2013, 7:07
Never mind, I mistook the 'reveal' photo for the original...
Comment icon #26 Posted by BettyTheYeti on 16 October, 2013, 8:54
Comment icon #27 Posted by Junior Chubb on 16 October, 2013, 9:05
The original story annoyed me, this one just gave me the hump.
Comment icon #28 Posted by Rlyeh on 17 October, 2013, 6:02
And the damage they cause to the credibility of real witnesses.... A "real witness" is just someone who hasn't admitted to hoaxing.
Comment icon #29 Posted by Rlyeh on 17 October, 2013, 6:03
I think that he did in fact see the real monster, but when he realised his fifteen minutes of fame were up he built this fake to try and get back in the spot light for just a moment longer. But obviously it was a dragon that he saw.

Insect burgers to go on sale in Switzerland
8-16-2017
Insect-based edibles are beginning to appear in shops after a recent revision of food safety laws.
Firm set to put a cellphone tower on the Moon
8-16-2017
A German startup is aiming to land rovers on the Moon that will communicate using cellphone technology.
'Frankenstein dinosaur' is 'missing link'
8-16-2017
The mystery surrounding a dinosaur made up of various mismatched body parts has finally been solved.
Dog turns blue due to polluted Indian River
8-15-2017
Untreated industrial waste in Mumbai's Kasadi river has been turning dogs a rather peculiar color.
Animal symbiotic relationships
Posted 8-16-2017 | 2 comments
A look at some of the animal species that rely on one another to survive.

How much of the Earth can be seen at once ?
Posted 8-15-2017 | 0 comments
What is the maximum amount of our planet that you can see from any given point ?

Will batteries power the world ?
Posted 8-14-2017 | 0 comments
Is there a limit to how small and light a rechargeable lithium-ion battery can be ?

Hoia-Baciu - the world's most haunted forest
Posted 8-13-2017 | 0 comments
A look at an area of forest that some people describe as Romania's own 'Bermuda Triangle'.

Can Derren Brown fool a psychologist ?
Posted 8-12-2017 | 2 comments
Psychological illusionist Derren Brown takes on a professional in the field.

Ghost experiences ?
8-11-2017 | United States

My real, true experiences
7-26-2017 | New Zealand

Incoming call
7-26-2017 | B.T. Collins Park: Folsom, CA

Three knocks woke me up twice
7-26-2017 | Virginia

Spider signs
7-21-2017 | Michigan

My ancestry is calling me
7-21-2017 | Morgan Hill, Ca

I can hear someone
6-27-2017 | Maryland

My dead father spoke to me
6-27-2017 | Alabama