Wednesday, September 28, 2016

Are cyborg cockroaches unethical ?

Posted on Saturday, 12 October, 2013 | Comment icon 23 comments

The kits enable the insects to be controlled by a human operator. Image Credit: CC BY-SA 2.0 Ben Lipkowitz
Neuroscientists have come under fire over the ethics of their new remote control cockroach kits.
Co-founders Greg Gage and Tim Marzullo of "Backyard Brains" raised eyebrows at a TEDx talk recently when they showcased a new piece of kit that could be implanted in to cockroaches to allow an operator to control their movement through an iPhone.

The remarkable demonstration has since been followed up by the announcement that do-it-yourself cyborg cockroach kits will soon be made available for anyone to purchase for just $99. Each kit will contain a live cockroach and the necessary hardware and surgical tools needed to create your own remote-control insect.

Unsurprisingly, not everyone is too keen on the idea.

"I try not to downplay the fact that in science we use animal models and a lot of times they are killed," said Gage. "As scientists, we do this all the time, but it happens behind closed doors."

In his defense of the project he emphasized that incorporating the mechanism in to a live cockroach would help teach students to care for the insects. He also pointed out that none of the roaches used in the demonstration experiments were killed but had instead been sent to a "retirement" tank to live out the rest of their days in peace.

Source: Wired | Comments (23)

Tags: Cockroach

Comment icon #14 Posted by Twin on 13 October, 2013, 22:09
I don't have a problem with killing a whole colony of roaches living uninvited in my house. But I find killing or mutilating them for entertainment unethical.
Comment icon #15 Posted by mesuma on 14 October, 2013, 0:11
Maybe you could Peid piper there horrible asses right out the house.
Comment icon #16 Posted by pallidin on 14 October, 2013, 3:18
Cockroaches. I once lived in a house in Florida infested by those nasty creatures. And stayed in a few "roach motels" I don't mean this sarcastically, truely, but I wonder if they have any true value in the insect kingdom(or whatever it's called) Now bumble bee's, for example, I will do my best to not harm, but roaches are a different story for me. Maybe not for other's, that's fine. In any event, my opinion is that I see nothing wrong with "cyborging" a cockroach. Again, just my opinion.
Comment icon #17 Posted by AliveInDeath7 on 14 October, 2013, 3:29
I think it would be cool... I wouldn't go in houses, I'd want to explore underground and just see the world through the insect's eyes.
Comment icon #18 Posted by bassai26 on 14 October, 2013, 17:05
a new found way of voyeurism...
Comment icon #19 Posted by Emeraldgemheart on 14 October, 2013, 17:38
This is.. ugh.. just... EW. I hate roaches....
Comment icon #20 Posted by Chooky88 on 17 October, 2013, 15:36
I remember a 90s computer game Bad-Mojo where I was a roach.
Comment icon #21 Posted by jugoso on 18 October, 2013, 2:45
Love or loathe the roach you have to respect them,they've adapted to every environmental change and been around much longer than we ..... Totally agree. I have a lot of respect for cockroaches. They will be around a lot longer after we are gone too!
Comment icon #22 Posted by sockitboy on 19 October, 2013, 4:12
howabout rigging up aa cyborg Keith Richards instead
Comment icon #23 Posted by LimeGelatin on 20 October, 2013, 2:20
I thought the "invention" of real cockroaches was unethical...- LoLzzz

Police helicopter films UFO on thermal camera
9-27-2016
Thermal footage of a strange object flying over the Bristol Channel in the UK has been uploaded online.
Melting glaciers could expose Cold War base
9-27-2016
A secret US facility hidden beneath the ice is believed to contain significant amounts of nuclear waste.
NASA has discovered water plumes on Europa
9-27-2016
The find could make it much easier to search for evidence of extraterrestrial life in Europa's oceans.
Company creates huge clock out of 14 trucks
9-26-2016
The massive 750,000 square-foot timepiece was run for a whole 24 hours using an army of large lorries.
Elephants unite
Posted 9-27-2016 | 0 comments
Two elephant families decide to join together on the plains of Africa in this BBC wildlife clip.

Why do we get pruney fingers in water ?
Posted 9-26-2016 | 2 comments
Why do your fingers turn in to prunes when you stay in the bath too long ?

Crushing shoes
Posted 9-25-2016 | 0 comments
What happens when you crush shoes in a high-powered hydraulic press ?

Meet the human torch
Posted 9-24-2016 | 0 comments
Josef Toedtling from Austria has made a successful career out of setting himself on fire.

Real plutonium
Posted 9-23-2016 | 0 comments
A rare look at some of the different plutonium compounds stored at the National Nuclear Laboratory.

Black magic
9-27-2016 | Mineral Wells, Texas

Crying mother
9-27-2016 | Centrol Mexico

Red-faced monster
9-14-2016 | Lox Florida

Locked door
9-14-2016 | Ho Chi Minh city/Vietnam

The visit
9-9-2016 | West Palm Beach, Fl

Translucent silent UFO
9-9-2016 | Brisbane/Australia

Sleep paralysis and strange activity
9-1-2016 | Tarpon Springs, FL