Friday, July 21, 2017

Are cyborg cockroaches unethical ?

Posted on Saturday, 12 October, 2013 | Comment icon 23 comments

The kits enable the insects to be controlled by a human operator. Image Credit: CC BY-SA 2.0 Ben Lipkowitz
Neuroscientists have come under fire over the ethics of their new remote control cockroach kits.
Co-founders Greg Gage and Tim Marzullo of "Backyard Brains" raised eyebrows at a TEDx talk recently when they showcased a new piece of kit that could be implanted in to cockroaches to allow an operator to control their movement through an iPhone.

The remarkable demonstration has since been followed up by the announcement that do-it-yourself cyborg cockroach kits will soon be made available for anyone to purchase for just $99. Each kit will contain a live cockroach and the necessary hardware and surgical tools needed to create your own remote-control insect.

Unsurprisingly, not everyone is too keen on the idea.

"I try not to downplay the fact that in science we use animal models and a lot of times they are killed," said Gage. "As scientists, we do this all the time, but it happens behind closed doors."

In his defense of the project he emphasized that incorporating the mechanism in to a live cockroach would help teach students to care for the insects. He also pointed out that none of the roaches used in the demonstration experiments were killed but had instead been sent to a "retirement" tank to live out the rest of their days in peace.

Source: Wired | Comments (23)

Tags: Cockroach

Comment icon #14 Posted by Twin on 13 October, 2013, 22:09
I don't have a problem with killing a whole colony of roaches living uninvited in my house. But I find killing or mutilating them for entertainment unethical.
Comment icon #15 Posted by mesuma on 14 October, 2013, 0:11
Maybe you could Peid piper there horrible asses right out the house.
Comment icon #16 Posted by pallidin on 14 October, 2013, 3:18
Cockroaches. I once lived in a house in Florida infested by those nasty creatures. And stayed in a few "roach motels" I don't mean this sarcastically, truely, but I wonder if they have any true value in the insect kingdom(or whatever it's called) Now bumble bee's, for example, I will do my best to not harm, but roaches are a different story for me. Maybe not for other's, that's fine. In any event, my opinion is that I see nothing wrong with "cyborging" a cockroach. Again, just my opinion.
Comment icon #17 Posted by AliveInDeath7 on 14 October, 2013, 3:29
I think it would be cool... I wouldn't go in houses, I'd want to explore underground and just see the world through the insect's eyes.
Comment icon #18 Posted by bassai26 on 14 October, 2013, 17:05
a new found way of voyeurism...
Comment icon #19 Posted by Emeraldgemheart on 14 October, 2013, 17:38
This is.. ugh.. just... EW. I hate roaches....
Comment icon #20 Posted by Chooky88 on 17 October, 2013, 15:36
I remember a 90s computer game Bad-Mojo where I was a roach.
Comment icon #21 Posted by jugoso on 18 October, 2013, 2:45
Love or loathe the roach you have to respect them,they've adapted to every environmental change and been around much longer than we ..... Totally agree. I have a lot of respect for cockroaches. They will be around a lot longer after we are gone too!
Comment icon #22 Posted by sockitboy on 19 October, 2013, 4:12
howabout rigging up aa cyborg Keith Richards instead
Comment icon #23 Posted by LimeGelatin on 20 October, 2013, 2:20
I thought the "invention" of real cockroaches was unethical...- LoLzzz

Today marks 48 years since first Moon landing
7-20-2017
Buzz Aldrin and Neil Armstrong made history when they set foot on the lunar surface 48 years ago today.
Australia find 'rewrites the history books'
7-20-2017
Archaeologists now believe that Australia was colonized 18,000 years earlier than previously thought.
Top US general warns against killer robots
7-19-2017
General Paul Selva has spoken out about the dangers of creating fully autonomous weapon systems.
Frozen sausages land on house roof in Florida
7-19-2017
A family in South Florida were left perplexed this week after their house was hit by bags of frozen meat.
Do not microwave an airbag
Posted 7-20-2017 | 2 comments
The Slo Mo Guys capture what happens when you put an airbag in a microwave.

How do fireworks get their colors ?
Posted 7-19-2017 | 0 comments
Fireworks are well known for their colorful explosions, but where do the colors come from ?

The man who swims towards sharks
Posted 7-18-2017 | 1 comment
Marine biologist Yannis doesn't avoid sharks, he deliberately seeks them out.

Dog for mayor ?
Posted 7-17-2017 | 1 comment
What happens exactly when a town votes for a dog or a cat to be the mayor ? How does this work ?

The asteroid hunters
Posted 7-16-2017 | 1 comment
A look at ongoing efforts to detect and track potentially dangerous asteroids.

I can hear someone
6-27-2017 | Maryland

My dead father spoke to me
6-27-2017 | Alabama

Is my child predicting our death ?
6-27-2017 | Lincoln Park, MI

Craig is here
6-10-2017 | Phoenix AZ

We saw the same thing!
6-10-2017 | Pooler, GA

Three female faces
6-5-2017 | Illinois (IL)

Encounter at 3:33 AM
6-5-2017 | Budapest

Trade school terror
5-26-2017 | Cedro woolley, Wa.