Friday, April 29, 2016   |   4,135 users online
    Home  ·  News  ·  Forum  ·  Stories  ·  Image Gallery  ·  Columns  ·  Encyclopedia  ·  Videos  ·  Chat

Are cyborg cockroaches unethical ?

Posted on Saturday, 12 October, 2013 | Comment icon 23 comments

The kits enable the insects to be controlled by a human operator. Image Credit: CC BY-SA 2.0 Ben Lipkowitz
Neuroscientists have come under fire over the ethics of their new remote control cockroach kits.
Co-founders Greg Gage and Tim Marzullo of "Backyard Brains" raised eyebrows at a TEDx talk recently when they showcased a new piece of kit that could be implanted in to cockroaches to allow an operator to control their movement through an iPhone.

The remarkable demonstration has since been followed up by the announcement that do-it-yourself cyborg cockroach kits will soon be made available for anyone to purchase for just $99. Each kit will contain a live cockroach and the necessary hardware and surgical tools needed to create your own remote-control insect.

Unsurprisingly, not everyone is too keen on the idea.

"I try not to downplay the fact that in science we use animal models and a lot of times they are killed," said Gage. "As scientists, we do this all the time, but it happens behind closed doors."

In his defense of the project he emphasized that incorporating the mechanism in to a live cockroach would help teach students to care for the insects. He also pointed out that none of the roaches used in the demonstration experiments were killed but had instead been sent to a "retirement" tank to live out the rest of their days in peace.

Source: Wired | Comments (23)

Tags: Cockroach

Comment icon #14 Posted by Twin on 13 October, 2013, 22:09
I don't have a problem with killing a whole colony of roaches living uninvited in my house. But I find killing or mutilating them for entertainment unethical.
Comment icon #15 Posted by mesuma on 14 October, 2013, 0:11
Maybe you could Peid piper there horrible asses right out the house.
Comment icon #16 Posted by pallidin on 14 October, 2013, 3:18
Cockroaches. I once lived in a house in Florida infested by those nasty creatures. And stayed in a few "roach motels" I don't mean this sarcastically, truely, but I wonder if they have any true value in the insect kingdom(or whatever it's called) Now bumble bee's, for example, I will do my best to not harm, but roaches are a different story for me. Maybe not for other's, that's fine. In any event, my opinion is that I see nothing wrong with "cyborging" a cockroach. Again, just my opinion.
Comment icon #17 Posted by AliveInDeath7 on 14 October, 2013, 3:29
I think it would be cool... I wouldn't go in houses, I'd want to explore underground and just see the world through the insect's eyes.
Comment icon #18 Posted by bassai26 on 14 October, 2013, 17:05
a new found way of voyeurism...
Comment icon #19 Posted by Emeraldgemheart on 14 October, 2013, 17:38
This is.. ugh.. just... EW. I hate roaches....
Comment icon #20 Posted by Chooky88 on 17 October, 2013, 15:36
I remember a 90s computer game Bad-Mojo where I was a roach.
Comment icon #21 Posted by jugoso on 18 October, 2013, 2:45
Totally agree. I have a lot of respect for cockroaches. They will be around a lot longer after we are gone too!
Comment icon #22 Posted by sockitboy on 19 October, 2013, 4:12
howabout rigging up aa cyborg Keith Richards instead
Comment icon #23 Posted by LimeGelatin on 20 October, 2013, 2:20
I thought the "invention" of real cockroaches was unethical...- LoLzzz

Users online:
5,640,058
257,336
129,090
4,135

Incredible new jellyfish species discovered
4-29-2016
Scientists exploring the depths of the Mariana Trench have come across an otherworldly looking creature.
Robotic 'mermaid' retrieves deep sea treasure
4-29-2016
Scientists have been using a diving robot to recover valuables from a famous 17th century shipwreck.
Real-life Noah's Ark to visit Rio Olympics
4-29-2016
A full-size replica of the biblical vessel will be paying a visit to the Olympic Games later this year.
New risk report warns of future catastrophes
4-28-2016
Scientists have warned that world governments are not doing enough to prepare for disaster scenarios.
Extreme backbending
Posted 4-29-2016 | 0 comments
Contortionist Julia Gunthel sets an eye-watering new record for bending her back.

Are dire wolves real animals ?
Posted 4-28-2016 | 2 comments
The huge wolves in Game of Thrones are not as far-fetched as they may seem.

How are candy canes made ?
Posted 4-27-2016 | 1 comment
A look at the manufacturing processes involved in the creation of candy canes.

You won't believe your eyes
Posted 4-26-2016 | 1 comment
A look at a remarkable gadget that produces images through a spinning LED array.

Sir David Attenborough at 90
Posted 4-25-2016 | 5 comments
Next month the world-famous naturalist and TV presenter will be turning 90 years old.

Paralyzed
4-15-2016 | United States

The mysterious awakening
4-6-2016 | Los Angeles, California

Chocolate fairy? Really?
4-6-2016 | United Kingdom

Christmas Day haunting
4-6-2016 | London, UK

The funeral director
3-30-2016 | Hebburn, England

A strange sighting in Spain
3-30-2016 | Albatera, Spain

Dust patterns on basement floor
3-27-2016 | Smithville, Texas

The old man and the red-eyed girl
3-14-2016 | Tennessee