Sunday, December 17, 2017

Are cyborg cockroaches unethical ?

Posted on Saturday, 12 October, 2013 | Comment icon 23 comments

The kits enable the insects to be controlled by a human operator. Image Credit: CC BY-SA 2.0 Ben Lipkowitz
Neuroscientists have come under fire over the ethics of their new remote control cockroach kits.
Co-founders Greg Gage and Tim Marzullo of "Backyard Brains" raised eyebrows at a TEDx talk recently when they showcased a new piece of kit that could be implanted in to cockroaches to allow an operator to control their movement through an iPhone.

The remarkable demonstration has since been followed up by the announcement that do-it-yourself cyborg cockroach kits will soon be made available for anyone to purchase for just $99. Each kit will contain a live cockroach and the necessary hardware and surgical tools needed to create your own remote-control insect.

Unsurprisingly, not everyone is too keen on the idea.

"I try not to downplay the fact that in science we use animal models and a lot of times they are killed," said Gage. "As scientists, we do this all the time, but it happens behind closed doors."

In his defense of the project he emphasized that incorporating the mechanism in to a live cockroach would help teach students to care for the insects. He also pointed out that none of the roaches used in the demonstration experiments were killed but had instead been sent to a "retirement" tank to live out the rest of their days in peace.

Source: Wired | Comments (23)

Tags: Cockroach

Comment icon #14 Posted by Twin on 13 October, 2013, 22:09
I don't have a problem with killing a whole colony of roaches living uninvited in my house. But I find killing or mutilating them for entertainment unethical.
Comment icon #15 Posted by mesuma on 14 October, 2013, 0:11
Maybe you could Peid piper there horrible asses right out the house.
Comment icon #16 Posted by pallidin on 14 October, 2013, 3:18
Cockroaches. I once lived in a house in Florida infested by those nasty creatures. And stayed in a few "roach motels" I don't mean this sarcastically, truely, but I wonder if they have any true value in the insect kingdom(or whatever it's called) Now bumble bee's, for example, I will do my best to not harm, but roaches are a different story for me. Maybe not for other's, that's fine. In any event, my opinion is that I see nothing wrong with "cyborging" a cockroach. Again, just my opinion.
Comment icon #17 Posted by AliveInDeath7 on 14 October, 2013, 3:29
I think it would be cool... I wouldn't go in houses, I'd want to explore underground and just see the world through the insect's eyes.
Comment icon #18 Posted by bassai26 on 14 October, 2013, 17:05
a new found way of voyeurism...
Comment icon #19 Posted by Emeraldgemheart on 14 October, 2013, 17:38
This is.. ugh.. just... EW. I hate roaches....
Comment icon #20 Posted by Chooky88 on 17 October, 2013, 15:36
I remember a 90s computer game Bad-Mojo where I was a roach.
Comment icon #21 Posted by jugoso on 18 October, 2013, 2:45
Love or loathe the roach you have to respect them,they've adapted to every environmental change and been around much longer than we ..... Totally agree. I have a lot of respect for cockroaches. They will be around a lot longer after we are gone too!
Comment icon #22 Posted by sockitboy on 19 October, 2013, 4:12
howabout rigging up aa cyborg Keith Richards instead
Comment icon #23 Posted by LimeGelatin on 20 October, 2013, 2:20
I thought the "invention" of real cockroaches was unethical...- LoLzzz

Rare rhino has been endangered for 9,000 years
12-17-2017
There are now fewer than 100 Sumatran rhinos left on Earth, but exactly who or what is responsible ?
Footage of US nuclear tests published online
12-16-2017
The 62 newly declassified videos show nuclear bomb experiments being conducted between 1945 and 1962.
'Extinct' mammal found alive in Australia
12-16-2017
The crest-tailed mulgara - a small carnivorous marsupial - was thought to have died out a century ago.
Glowing trees could replace street lights
12-16-2017
By embedding nanoparticles in leaves, scientists at MIT have created plants that glow in the dark.
Slow motion wrecking ball
Posted 12-16-2017 | 1 comment
The Slo Mo Guys record the destruction of a vehicle using a 9000lb wrecking ball.

Einstein's brain
Posted 12-13-2017 | 0 comments
After he died, legendary physicist Albert Einstein's brain was preserved for study.

Is happiness contagious ?
Posted 12-12-2017 | 0 comments
Is it possible to become happy by hanging out with other people who are happy ?

Megalodon - the largest shark in history
Posted 12-11-2017 | 1 comment
A look at Megalodon - a truly monstrous creature that once roamed Eath's oceans.

Pizza night - in space
Posted 12-8-2017 | 0 comments
ISS astronauts try their hand at putting together pizzas high up in orbit around the Earth.

Mysterious Headlights
12-10-2017 | Morgan County, Alabama

Possibly a child ghost
12-10-2017 | Edgewater, Maryland

True story about black-eyed kids
12-10-2017 | Portland oregon

Alien or paranormal encounter ?
12-10-2017 | United States

Ouija board experience
12-10-2017 | Ohio

Strange occurrences
11-15-2017 | Fife

Mysterious music box song
11-15-2017 | U.S.A

Haunted military house
10-23-2017 | New Zealand

Sleep paralysis or real encounter?
10-18-2017 | United Kingdom