Wednesday, August 16, 2017

What does a jump from 128,000ft look like ?

Posted on Thursday, 17 October, 2013 | Comment icon 7 comments

Baumgartner's feat earned him a place in the record books. Image Credit: YouTube / Red Bull
New breathtaking POV footage has been released of Felix Baumgartner's record-breaking jump.
The Austrian skydiver entered the history books last year when he rose to an altitude of 128,000ft and then jumped, not only breaking the record for the world's highest jump but also becoming the first person to exceed the sound barrier during free fall.

While he did land safely, not everything went according to plan. At one point Baumgartner entered an uncontrolled spin that threatened to end the attempt in disaster, but luckily he was able to regain control and maintain a stable descent for the rest of the fall.

To help commemorate the event, Red Bull have released new footage taken from Baumgartner's perspective as he plummets from the stratosphere. The video is particularly nail-biting as it shows the moment he started to spin and provides a glimpse of what it would have been like to experience first-hand.

Source: Wired | Comments (7)

Tags: Felix Baumgartner

Comment icon #1 Posted by Sundew on 17 October, 2013, 12:27
Terrifying yet strangely beautiful! I think I heard him yell "rock 'n' roll' when the shoot opened, haha.
Comment icon #2 Posted by dvd22 on 18 October, 2013, 8:00
I usually don't defend big companies but this goes way beyond a stunt. What Red Bull did (or supported) with this I think will help science and technology to evolve a little bit more.
Comment icon #3 Posted by freetoroam on 18 October, 2013, 8:43
Comment icon #4 Posted by Moon Gazer on 18 October, 2013, 8:50
Wow, that's quite amazing. My stomach turned watching him spin like that!
Comment icon #5 Posted by Frank Merton on 18 October, 2013, 9:02
I feel dizzle just looking at the picture... Just checked, nope, I have no wings, so best stay on ground. Although the braverymof this man is second,to none, he really does have to rely on the quality of his equipment. Wings or no wings that's too high up.
Comment icon #6 Posted by freetoroam on 18 October, 2013, 9:10
Wings or no wings that's too high up. Guess if the equipment is proved safe enough, we will start seeing adverts for rich daredevils in the future to give it a go. Its the ultimate in bungy jumping.
Comment icon #7 Posted by Calibeliever on 22 October, 2013, 16:38
I remember when they had to postpone the launch for a few days. Presumably to redesign the capsule to accomodate this man's enormous balls.

Insect burgers to go on sale in Switzerland
8-16-2017
Insect-based edibles are beginning to appear in shops after a recent revision of food safety laws.
Firm set to put a cellphone tower on the Moon
8-16-2017
A German startup is aiming to land rovers on the Moon that will communicate using cellphone technology.
'Frankenstein dinosaur' is 'missing link'
8-16-2017
The mystery surrounding a dinosaur made up of various mismatched body parts has finally been solved.
Dog turns blue due to polluted Indian River
8-15-2017
Untreated industrial waste in Mumbai's Kasadi river has been turning dogs a rather peculiar color.
Animal symbiotic relationships
Posted 8-16-2017 | 2 comments
A look at some of the animal species that rely on one another to survive.

How much of the Earth can be seen at once ?
Posted 8-15-2017 | 0 comments
What is the maximum amount of our planet that you can see from any given point ?

Will batteries power the world ?
Posted 8-14-2017 | 0 comments
Is there a limit to how small and light a rechargeable lithium-ion battery can be ?

Ghost experiences ?
8-11-2017 | United States

My real, true experiences
7-26-2017 | New Zealand

Incoming call
7-26-2017 | B.T. Collins Park: Folsom, CA

Three knocks woke me up twice
7-26-2017 | Virginia

Spider signs
7-21-2017 | Michigan

My ancestry is calling me
7-21-2017 | Morgan Hill, Ca

I can hear someone
6-27-2017 | Maryland

My dead father spoke to me
6-27-2017 | Alabama