Wednesday, September 20, 2017

Will climate change cause humans to shrink ?

Posted on Saturday, 2 November, 2013 | Comment icon 16 comments

Are we destined to become smaller ? Image Credit: CC BY 2.0 Guillaume
Scientists have warned that future generations could be a lot shorter than people who are alive today.
The unexpected revelation is based on research in to the size of mammals during previous periods of global warming known as hyperthermals. According to a team of scientist from the University of Michigan, a reduction in size appears to be a common evolutionary response to an increase in global temperatures.

Two examples of such periods were studied, one that occurred 55 million years ago and another that took place 53 million years ago. In both cases there were clear indications that the change in temperature had a profound effect on the size of mammalian species.

"The fact that it happened twice significantly increases our confidence that we're seeing cause and effect - that one interesting response to global warming in the past was a substantial decrease in body size in mammalian species," said study leader Philip Gingerich.

Bizarrely, fossil evidence from horses of the time indicated that they had reduced in size to something comparable to that of a small dog. Over the next few thousand years following the climate's recovery however the animals gradually returned to their normal size.

Source: IB Times | Comments (16)

Tags: Dwarfism

Comment icon #7 Posted by progressivegamer44 on 4 November, 2013, 0:36
6 foot master race reporting in, I'm tall, but not too tall. Works for me
Comment icon #8 Posted by ROGER on 4 November, 2013, 4:38
We call this the " Clothes Dryer " theory . Humans will shrink like cotton socks.
Comment icon #9 Posted by AtlantisRises on 4 November, 2013, 6:25
6 foot master race reporting in, I'm tall, but not too tall. Works for me I'm ridiculously over tall. But as people shrink I'll be even more tall so I don't mind,
Comment icon #10 Posted by AsylumSpirit on 4 November, 2013, 9:14
A horse the size of a small dog? THAT WOULD BE AMAZING
Comment icon #11 Posted by spud the mackem on 4 November, 2013, 10:01
I always get some ruddy Giant in front of me at football matches. What is the average height of todays Males. You are the same height as anyone with a gun in your hand as being small makes you less of a target.
Comment icon #12 Posted by cormac mac airt on 4 November, 2013, 15:18
I have to wonder how the scientists at the University of Michigan reconcile their claim that mammals were getting smaller due to the two climate change events of 55 and 53 mya respectively, when the oldest primate AFAIK (Archicebus achilles) only dates to c.55 mya and could fit in the palm of ones hand. Also, how did they determine that events from that long ago would impact humans, a genus which didn't even exist prior to c.2.5 mya? http://www.npr.org/2013/06/05/188875000/tiny-ancient-tree-dweller-was-one-of-earths-earliest-primates cormac
Comment icon #13 Posted by Merc14 on 6 November, 2013, 3:24
HS stupid theory. LMAO.
Comment icon #14 Posted by regeneratia on 14 November, 2013, 18:18
What climate change? You mean the cooler summers? Arctic ice melts here and grows there. The antarctic ice grows there and melts here. The North pole is roaming far more than ever before.
Comment icon #15 Posted by Doug1o29 on 14 November, 2013, 21:53
HS stupid theory. LMAO. It's just evolution doing its thing. Maybe people will get smaller, but probably not fast enough that we'd notice it. We've got bigger problems to worry about. I'm sure we could agree on a long list, even if global warming isn't on it. Doug
Comment icon #16 Posted by homo.liberis on 27 November, 2013, 18:35
I tire of these constant disinfo stories. What is it Goebbels said about big lies and repeating them? (sighs)

550 million-year-old creature mystery solved
9-20-2017
Scientists believe that they have finally worked out what type of creature 'Dickinsonia' actually was.
Porpoise unearthed in medieval graveyard
9-20-2017
A recent archaeological dig near Guernsey has yielded something rather unexpected - a porpoise skeleton.
Mystery surrounds flushed money in Geneva
9-19-2017
An unknown individual has been flushing thousands of euros down the toilet and nobody knows why.
'Octopus city' found off coast of Australia
9-19-2017
Members of the gloomy octopus species have created their own underwater settlement dubbed 'Octlantis'.
Extreme neodymium magnet
Posted 9-20-2017 | 0 comments
Unboxing a magnet so powerful that it can suspend huge weights off the underside of a table.

Derren Brown and new age crystals
Posted 9-19-2017 | 0 comments
The psychological illusionist is joined by actor Martin Freeman for this remarkable trick.

I'll eat my hat
Posted 9-18-2017 | 0 comments
Where did the strange phrase 'I'll eat my hat' actually come from ?

Meet the microscopic life in your home
Posted 9-17-2017 | 0 comments
Think your home is free of meddlesome microscopic life forms ? Think again.

Are rats friends or foes ?
Posted 9-16-2017 | 3 comments
Rats are certainly not humanity's favorite animals, but just how bad are they really ?

Guardian angel ?
9-13-2017 | Middle of nowhere Iowa

I'm not normal, but I'm not alone
9-13-2017 | South Africa

When I was very little
9-13-2017 | Sturgis So.Dakota

Weird light orbs and chills
9-13-2017 | Poland

Unexplained light flashes
8-30-2017 | Louisiana

A night that I will never forget
8-18-2017 | Massena, NY