Friday, April 28, 2017

New super-predator dinosaur discovered

Posted on Thursday, 7 November, 2013 | Comment icon 6 comments

Lythronax was an apex predator of its day. Image Credit: CC BY-SA 3.0 Scott Robert Anselmo
A new 80 million-year-old relative of the Tyrannosaurus rex has been unearthed in southern Utah.
The newly discovered dinosaur has been named Lythronax argestes, which means "king of gore". At 30ft in length and with a vicious set of teeth just as deadly as those of its more infamous cousin, this slightly smaller species lived before the T. rex but was still the largest predator of its time.

"It's always exciting to find new species but what's really significant is what these species tell us about their ancient world," said study co-author Randall Irmis. "This was a very different place 80 million years ago. It was a very lush, wet, tropical environment and there were no polar ice caps at the time."

Despite the slight size difference, Lythronax possessed many of the characteristics of Tyrannosaurus rex including the massive jaws and binocular vision that helped to make it such an effective predator.

Source: BBC News | Comments (6)

Tags: Dinosaur

Comment icon #1 Posted by PlanB on 6 November, 2013, 19:42
Comment icon #2 Posted by bassai26 on 7 November, 2013, 13:33
I want to discover also on my own... bet its really fascinating.
Comment icon #3 Posted by LimeGelatin on 7 November, 2013, 16:34
Hummmm... Very interesting that is...
Comment icon #4 Posted by Calibeliever on 7 November, 2013, 20:21
I wish I discovered a dinosaur just so that I could give it an awesome-sounding name. Probably something like Throat-punch-guitar-solo-asaurus. Google translates this to latin as "Cithara gutture ferrum Solonem". Kind of rolls off the tongue ...
Comment icon #5 Posted by coolguy on 8 November, 2013, 5:21
Awesome find its awesome they find these new dinosaur
Comment icon #6 Posted by Mark56 on 10 November, 2013, 2:18
I'd love to have one for a pet. I'd name him "Dino".

Giant spider webs cover field in New Zealand
4-27-2017
Fascinating new footage has emerged online showing an entire field engulfed by a huge expanse of cobwebs.
Did first Americans arrive 130,000 years ago?
4-27-2017
A new discovery has indicated that the first humans arrived in the Americas much earlier than thought.
China and Europe plan to build 'Moon Village'
4-27-2017
ESA has confirmed rumors that the two space agencies are planning an ambitious lunar collaboration.
Mystery of Antarctica's 'Blood Falls' solved
4-26-2017
Researchers have made a new discovery in relation to one of Antarctica's most unusual natural features.
Venus flytrap anemone
Posted 4-27-2017 | 0 comments
A look at one particularly unusual creature which lives down at the bottom of the ocean.

Lightning seen from space
Posted 4-26-2017 | 0 comments
Astronaut Thomas Pesquet captured this footage from the International Space Station.

Slo Mo Guys Inception
Posted 4-25-2017 | 0 comments
Gav and Dan attempt to recreate a scene from Inception involving a bath of cold water.

Is the Boar Man real ?
4-26-2017 | Wichita Mountains, Oklahoma

Possessed boom box 1988
4-26-2017 | Santa Ana

Grandpa's visit
4-14-2017 | Portugal

Mysterious dog
4-14-2017 | Utah

A night to remember
4-14-2017 | Philippines

Am I going crazy ?
3-30-2017 | South Africa

Sleep paralysis or my father ?
3-30-2017 | Los Angeles