Thursday, August 24, 2017

New super-predator dinosaur discovered

Posted on Thursday, 7 November, 2013 | Comment icon 6 comments

Lythronax was an apex predator of its day. Image Credit: CC BY-SA 3.0 Scott Robert Anselmo
A new 80 million-year-old relative of the Tyrannosaurus rex has been unearthed in southern Utah.
The newly discovered dinosaur has been named Lythronax argestes, which means "king of gore". At 30ft in length and with a vicious set of teeth just as deadly as those of its more infamous cousin, this slightly smaller species lived before the T. rex but was still the largest predator of its time.

"It's always exciting to find new species but what's really significant is what these species tell us about their ancient world," said study co-author Randall Irmis. "This was a very different place 80 million years ago. It was a very lush, wet, tropical environment and there were no polar ice caps at the time."

Despite the slight size difference, Lythronax possessed many of the characteristics of Tyrannosaurus rex including the massive jaws and binocular vision that helped to make it such an effective predator.

Source: BBC News | Comments (6)

Tags: Dinosaur

Comment icon #1 Posted by PlanB on 6 November, 2013, 19:42
Comment icon #2 Posted by bassai26 on 7 November, 2013, 13:33
I want to discover also on my own... bet its really fascinating.
Comment icon #3 Posted by LimeGelatin on 7 November, 2013, 16:34
Hummmm... Very interesting that is...
Comment icon #4 Posted by Calibeliever on 7 November, 2013, 20:21
I wish I discovered a dinosaur just so that I could give it an awesome-sounding name. Probably something like Throat-punch-guitar-solo-asaurus. Google translates this to latin as "Cithara gutture ferrum Solonem". Kind of rolls off the tongue ...
Comment icon #5 Posted by coolguy on 8 November, 2013, 5:21
Awesome find its awesome they find these new dinosaur
Comment icon #6 Posted by Mark56 on 10 November, 2013, 2:18
I'd love to have one for a pet. I'd name him "Dino".

Elon Musk unveils futuristic SpaceX spacesuit
8-24-2017
The private space firm has developed its own stylish spacesuit for use during future manned missions.
Extinct toothless dwarf dolphin unveiled
8-23-2017
Scientists have identified an extinct species of mini-dolphin that lived over 30 million years ago.
Toyota has patented a 'cloaking device'
8-23-2017
The car manufacturer is aiming to use a form of cloaking technology to improve driver visibility.
Extinction asteroid caused an 18-month winter
8-23-2017
Scientists have revealed the immense destructiveness of the asteroid that wiped out the dinosaurs.
Slow motion chameleon tongue
Posted 8-24-2017 | 0 comments
A look at the incredible tongue of the chameleon as it latches on to its prey.

Top 5 alien invaders
Posted 8-23-2017 | 3 comments
A look at some invasive species that have turned up in places they shouldn't be.

Mass robot dance
Posted 8-22-2017 | 1 comment
More than 1,000 programmable Dobi robots bopped in sync during this world record attempt.

A night that I will never forget
8-18-2017 | Massena, NY

Shapeshifter
8-18-2017 | Cranbrook British Columbia

Ghost experiences ?
8-11-2017 | United States

My real, true experiences
7-26-2017 | New Zealand

Incoming call
7-26-2017 | B.T. Collins Park: Folsom, CA

Three knocks woke me up twice
7-26-2017 | Virginia