Thursday, November 27, 2014   |   4,495 users online
    Home  ·  News  ·  Forum  ·  Stories  ·  Image Gallery  ·  Columns  ·  Encyclopedia  ·  Videos  ·  Chat

Ancient wine cellar discovered in Israel

Posted on Saturday, 23 November, 2013 | Comment icon 12 comments

Traces of wine ingredients were found at the site. Image Credit: sxc.hu

A large wine collection has been found in the ruins of a cellar dating back more than 3700 years.

The ancient collection was unearthed beneath a ruined palace in the northern Israeli city of Tel Kabri. 40 jars were found in total and each of them had been used to store a sweet, strong wine.

"The wine cellar was located near a hall where banquets took place, a place where the Kabri elite and possibly foreign guests consumed goat meat and wine," said excavation co-director Assaf Yasur-Landau.

While none of the wine itself had survived, archaeologists were able to retrieve and study fragments of the jars to determine what had been in them. Among them were traces of wine-making ingredients such as tartaric and syringic acid as well as honey, cinnamon, mint and juniper berries.

"This wasn't moonshine that someone was brewing in their basement, eyeballing the measurements," said classical studies professor Andrew Koh. "This wine's recipe was strictly followed in each and every jar."

Source: UPI | Comments (12)

Tags: Israel, Wine

Comment icon #3 Posted by Loreoffolk on 22 November, 2013, 18:48
they think it had mint and honey in so it sounds like it would taste gross
Comment icon #4 Posted by patagonianhorsesnake on 22 November, 2013, 19:09
really? i don't (can't) drink anymore, but wine and honey can go together wonderfully. i also wonder if they heated their wine, as was common in some ancient cultures. mint, i'm not so sure. i'll leave that to others to judge,
Comment icon #5 Posted by moonshadow60 on 23 November, 2013, 19:48
Mint, juniper and honey. Sounds like it was spicy, sweet and curiously delicious to me, and I don't drink alcohol. I might try it just once if that particular blend was available, though, just out of curiosity.
Comment icon #6 Posted by Controller Junkie on 23 November, 2013, 20:24
wonder how potnent and expensive some wine aged 3700 would be....
Comment icon #7 Posted by Harry_Dresden on 24 November, 2013, 1:09
The snobby wine puritans must be dry reaching after reading this one..
Comment icon #8 Posted by questionmark on 24 November, 2013, 10:50
very expensive, very sour and 2% less alcohol than water
Comment icon #9 Posted by Lava_Lady on 24 November, 2013, 19:31
Mmmmmm.... wine.... I also wish I could taste just one glass of this ancient wine. If it was really good, I'd just savor it as long as possible. If it was too yucky to drink I'd have to accidentally spill it.
Comment icon #10 Posted by Chooky88 on 25 November, 2013, 5:43
There would have to be a market for ancient wines and beers. A type of tasting time travel.
Comment icon #11 Posted by moonshadow60 on 25 November, 2013, 16:29
I did a web search. Apparently honey made with juniper and other herbs is still used in some wines in Italy. They described it as a sweet, pleasant taste. Sounds fascinating to me. I am also ancient.
Comment icon #12 Posted by OverSword on 25 November, 2013, 20:19