Tuesday, July 25, 2017

Ghost hunters set fire to historic mansion

Posted on Thursday, 28 November, 2013 | Comment icon 47 comments

Firefighters arrived on the scene to tackle the blaze. Image Credit: James E. Foehl / US Navy
Seven men were arrested after they managed to burn down the LeBeau Plantation house near New Orleans.
Built in the 1850s, the mansion is well known for its paranormal activity and ghost sightings. Stories from those who lived and worked there tell of a mysterious ghostly woman with a long white dress who is said to walk on the upstairs porch. Throughout its history the building has been everything from a hotel to an illegal gambling house but has since been abandoned and boarded up for some years.

Hoping to experience the building's ghostly occupants for themselves, the group of seven ghost hunters had made their way in to the building to look around. In an effort to elicit a response from whatever may be lurking there they attempted a technique known as 'provocation' which involved calling out any spirits through a barrage of loud noises and verbal intimidation.

Having been unable to get a response the group decided, for reasons known only to themselves, that it would be a good idea to light a fire instead. Within minutes the flames had spread to the building's framework and by the time firefighters arrived the mansion had been almost completely destroyed.

Fortunately nobody was injured however the men now face charges of criminal damage, arson and trespassing and are unlikely to be attempting any more ghost hunts for the foreseeable future.

Source: Live Science | Comments (47)

Tags: Ghost, Paranormal

Comment icon #38 Posted by Child of Bast on 2 December, 2013, 16:42
While searching for an update on the story, I found an article giving some more wonderful news... Sheriff's spokesman Col. John Doran told the paper that one of the ghost hunters decided to burn down the vacant landmark in the "haze of alcohol and marijuana" after getting frustrated when no ghosts materialized despite their attempts to summon them. “They were in there looking for ghosts, drinking, smoking dope, and for some reason they made a decision — a conscious decision — before they left to set this building on fire,” St. Bernard Parish James Sheriff Pohlmann told The Advocate.“St. Bernar... [More]
Comment icon #39 Posted by JesseCuster on 2 December, 2013, 20:17
An established group is a team that has their own website and has a good trail or rapport with clients. A group who shows professionalism. That's all very vague, isn't it? Having a website and having good rapport with the people you're working for does not equate to much in itself. Do you really think that in 2013, having a website helps "establish" you as a professional group? Everyone from outright cranks to certified professionals have websites.I would have thought that being an "established group" of paranormal investigators might involve some sort of actual credentials, certification, etc... [More]
Comment icon #40 Posted by Brian Topp on 3 December, 2013, 22:02
That's all very vague, isn't it? Having a website and having good rapport with the people you're working for does not equate to much in itself. Do you really think that in 2013, having a website helps "establish" you as a professional group? Everyone from outright cranks to certified professionals have websites. I would have thought that being an "established group" of paranormal investigators might involve some sort of actual credentials, certification, etc. You tempted to make myself a site that gives me a PHD in spaghetti monster Hunter
Comment icon #41 Posted by JesseCuster on 3 December, 2013, 23:10
You tempted to make myself a site that gives me a PHD in spaghetti monster Hunter I happen to be an ordained member of the Universal Life Church. I got an email from them to prove and confirm it. For a few dollars I can buy a certificate to hang on my wall. What's more professional than having a certificate hanging on your wall to prove your credentials?
Comment icon #42 Posted by Kahn on 3 December, 2013, 23:14
Better listen to him Brian, he's ordained!
Comment icon #43 Posted by Kelevra on 5 December, 2013, 1:26
That does explain the white collar in his profile pic
Comment icon #44 Posted by JesseCuster on 5 December, 2013, 1:35
I'm a ordained man of God. You can trust me.
Comment icon #45 Posted by Kelevra on 5 December, 2013, 1:47
You just keep yourself from using THE WORD and we'll be good.
Comment icon #46 Posted by veledran on 12 December, 2013, 16:26
We had something similar happen in my area. They didn't claim they were ghost hunting, but it seems that this group wasn't really doing that either. If I remember correctly, there were only five structures in the world made in this style, only three remained: the one in my area, one in disrepair, and one that had been so heavily modified that it doesn't even count. So, now there is the one falling apart and the heavily modified one left. About a month before the fire, I was lucky enough to go around the perimeter and take photographs. I don't know what is with people and vandalism/arson these ... [More]
Comment icon #47 Posted by Chooky88 on 31 December, 2013, 1:10
Jail them, morons.

Time is key to happiness, new study claims
7-25-2017
According to researchers, stressing out over a lack of time is a leading cause of anxiety and depression.
Eden Project UFO revealed as publicity stunt
7-25-2017
Videos and pictures of an alleged UFO over Cornwall have turned out to be part of a promotional exercise.
Moon is much wetter than previously thought
7-25-2017
Satellite data has revealed that there is water trapped all across the Moon's surface, not just at the poles.
New species of giant sunfish discovered
7-24-2017
Marine researcher Marianne Nyegaard has identified the first new species of sunfish in over 130 years.
Redefining the kilogram
Posted 7-24-2017 | 0 comments

Stretchy batteries
Posted 7-23-2017 | 0 comments
Scientists have come up with a way to make batteries and their cases stretchy.

Counting to one billion
Posted 7-22-2017 | 1 comment

Dolphins beach themselves to catch fish
Posted 7-21-2017 | 0 comments

Do not microwave an airbag
Posted 7-20-2017 | 2 comments
The Slo Mo Guys capture what happens when you put an airbag in a microwave.

Spider signs
7-21-2017 | Michigan

My ancestry is calling me
7-21-2017 | Morgan Hill, Ca

I can hear someone
6-27-2017 | Maryland

My dead father spoke to me
6-27-2017 | Alabama

Is my child predicting our death ?
6-27-2017 | Lincoln Park, MI