Saturday, July 22, 2017

Dendelion grows inside girl's ear

Posted on Sunday, 1 December, 2013 | Comment icon 24 comments

The dandelion had grown from a seed that got stuck in the girl's ear. Image Credit: sxc.hu
Doctors in China have successfully removed a dandelion found growing in the ear of a 16-month-old girl.
Ranran's parents had taken her to see a doctor because she kept scratching her ear, but when the physician took a closer look he found something altogether unexpected - a dandelion that had someone managed to grow to two centimeters in length.

The bane of gardeners everywhere, dandelions are widely considered to be a weed with white cotton-like seeds that blow easily in the wind and can end up anywhere. In Ranran's case, her parents had noticed something like a dandelion seed falling in to her ear a couple of months beforehand but hadn't thought anything of it until she started to scratch it all the time.

"The dandelion had totally grown into Ranran's ear and filled her ear canal wall," said Dr. Gu Qinglong. "Even the slightest bit of pressure put her at risk for internal bleeding so it had to come out."

The procedure to remove it took just ten minutes and Ranran is now recovering in hospital.

Source: Medical Daily | Comments (24)

Tags: Dandelion

Comment icon #15 Posted by Junior Chubb on 1 December, 2013, 21:30
This is nothing compared to the potatoes I found growing behind my ears as a lad...
Comment icon #16 Posted by Controller Junkie on 2 December, 2013, 3:16
Comment icon #17 Posted by Eldorado on 2 December, 2013, 18:05
I oncetried to grow a cauliflower in my nose, it didnt work. Just sayin. Maybe Ill try my ear next time... Try wrestling instead. More fun and the cauliflower ears are free! http://www.mmanews.pl/2011/01/wiesci-z-japonii/
Comment icon #18 Posted by Leonardo on 2 December, 2013, 18:39
Summer breeze, makes me feel fi...ine Growin' dandelions in my mi...ind Sweet days of summer, and what have we here A flower is sprouting inside of my ear. with sincerest apologies to the Isley Brothers...
Comment icon #19 Posted by Junior Chubb on 2 December, 2013, 20:05
I oncetried to grow a cauliflower in my nose, it didnt work. Just sayin. Maybe Ill try my ear next time... Try wrestling instead. More fun and the cauliflower ears are free! http://www.mmanews.p...esci-z-japonii/ While recommendations are being made, I think rugby is a more direct route to Cauliflower-ness.
Comment icon #20 Posted by Kelevra on 2 December, 2013, 20:56
Boxing'll also do it
Comment icon #21 Posted by Controller Junkie on 3 December, 2013, 2:37
Also gauging your ear seems to cause it with some people, not sure why if its completely random or what. Personall I've got inch and a quater gauge in both my ears, but unfortunately no cauliflower ear. Know people with much smallerg auges in ears who have gotten it. Maybe its the rh blood... Anunaki maybe....
Comment icon #22 Posted by highdesert50 on 3 December, 2013, 4:15
A flower child gone to seed, But, there are real issues with spores of fungi. C neoformans, for example, a human fungal pathogen causes more than a half a million deaths annually by "seeding" itself in the lung.
Comment icon #23 Posted by Silver Surfer on 3 December, 2013, 7:57
The green brain is near!
Comment icon #24 Posted by Ogbin on 10 December, 2013, 18:29
This puts an all new spin on "Being one with nature."

Mystery of Abe Lincoln's Bixby letter solved
7-21-2017
Forensic linguists have 'almost certainly' determined who really wrote the famous Civil War-era letter.
Free diver hits bottom of world's deepest pool
7-21-2017
A new video shows veteran free diver Guillaume Nery descending 131ft underwater on only one lungful of air.
SpaceX ditches plans for 2018 Mars landing
7-21-2017
Plans to land a modified version of the company's reusable Dragon capsule on Mars have been scrapped.
Today marks 48 years since first Moon landing
7-20-2017
Buzz Aldrin and Neil Armstrong made history when they set foot on the lunar surface 48 years ago today.
Dolphins beach themselves to catch fish
Posted 7-21-2017 | 0 comments

Do not microwave an airbag
Posted 7-20-2017 | 2 comments
The Slo Mo Guys capture what happens when you put an airbag in a microwave.

How do fireworks get their colors ?
Posted 7-19-2017 | 0 comments
Fireworks are well known for their colorful explosions, but where do the colors come from ?

The man who swims towards sharks
Posted 7-18-2017 | 1 comment
Marine biologist Yannis doesn't avoid sharks, he deliberately seeks them out.

Dog for mayor ?
Posted 7-17-2017 | 1 comment
What happens exactly when a town votes for a dog or a cat to be the mayor ? How does this work ?

Spider signs
7-21-2017 | Michigan

My ancestry is calling me
7-21-2017 | Morgan Hill, Ca

I can hear someone
6-27-2017 | Maryland

My dead father spoke to me
6-27-2017 | Alabama

Is my child predicting our death ?
6-27-2017 | Lincoln Park, MI