Monday, December 5, 2016

Dendelion grows inside girl's ear

Posted on Sunday, 1 December, 2013 | Comment icon 24 comments

The dandelion had grown from a seed that got stuck in the girl's ear. Image Credit: sxc.hu
Doctors in China have successfully removed a dandelion found growing in the ear of a 16-month-old girl.
Ranran's parents had taken her to see a doctor because she kept scratching her ear, but when the physician took a closer look he found something altogether unexpected - a dandelion that had someone managed to grow to two centimeters in length.

The bane of gardeners everywhere, dandelions are widely considered to be a weed with white cotton-like seeds that blow easily in the wind and can end up anywhere. In Ranran's case, her parents had noticed something like a dandelion seed falling in to her ear a couple of months beforehand but hadn't thought anything of it until she started to scratch it all the time.

"The dandelion had totally grown into Ranran's ear and filled her ear canal wall," said Dr. Gu Qinglong. "Even the slightest bit of pressure put her at risk for internal bleeding so it had to come out."

The procedure to remove it took just ten minutes and Ranran is now recovering in hospital.

Source: Medical Daily | Comments (24)

Tags: Dandelion

Comment icon #15 Posted by Junior Chubb on 1 December, 2013, 21:30
This is nothing compared to the potatoes I found growing behind my ears as a lad...
Comment icon #16 Posted by Controller Junkie on 2 December, 2013, 3:16
Comment icon #17 Posted by Eldorado on 2 December, 2013, 18:05
I oncetried to grow a cauliflower in my nose, it didnt work. Just sayin. Maybe Ill try my ear next time... Try wrestling instead. More fun and the cauliflower ears are free! http://www.mmanews.pl/2011/01/wiesci-z-japonii/
Comment icon #18 Posted by Leonardo on 2 December, 2013, 18:39
Summer breeze, makes me feel fi...ine Growin' dandelions in my mi...ind Sweet days of summer, and what have we here A flower is sprouting inside of my ear. with sincerest apologies to the Isley Brothers...
Comment icon #19 Posted by Junior Chubb on 2 December, 2013, 20:05
I oncetried to grow a cauliflower in my nose, it didnt work. Just sayin. Maybe Ill try my ear next time... Try wrestling instead. More fun and the cauliflower ears are free! http://www.mmanews.p...esci-z-japonii/ While recommendations are being made, I think rugby is a more direct route to Cauliflower-ness.
Comment icon #20 Posted by Kelevra on 2 December, 2013, 20:56
Boxing'll also do it
Comment icon #21 Posted by Controller Junkie on 3 December, 2013, 2:37
Also gauging your ear seems to cause it with some people, not sure why if its completely random or what. Personall I've got inch and a quater gauge in both my ears, but unfortunately no cauliflower ear. Know people with much smallerg auges in ears who have gotten it. Maybe its the rh blood... Anunaki maybe....
Comment icon #22 Posted by highdesert50 on 3 December, 2013, 4:15
A flower child gone to seed, But, there are real issues with spores of fungi. C neoformans, for example, a human fungal pathogen causes more than a half a million deaths annually by "seeding" itself in the lung.
Comment icon #23 Posted by Silver Surfer on 3 December, 2013, 7:57
The green brain is near!
Comment icon #24 Posted by Ogbin on 10 December, 2013, 18:29
This puts an all new spin on "Being one with nature."

Virgin Galactic test flight proves a success
12-5-2016
Richard Branson's fledgling space tourism firm is back on track following a fatal crash two years ago.
Could alien life thrive on brown dwarf stars?
12-4-2016
Extrasolar planets may not be the only place where it is possible to find signs of extraterrestrial life.
Buzz Aldrin is evacuated from Antarctica
12-4-2016
The Apollo 11 astronaut fell ill just after becoming the oldest person ever to visit the South Pole.
Giant air-breathing fish found in the Amazon
12-3-2016
A new species of the mysterious arapaima has been discovered in the remote backwaters of the Amazon.
Featured book

By Toryn Chapman
Campbell Mackenzie is a successful lawyer with occasional feelings of déjà vu. There's just one problem, though - it's not déjà vu.
World's longest shout
Posted 12-5-2016 | 0 comments
Christian Kinner from Germany managed to shout for over 43 seconds non-stop.

Top 10 facts about James Webb Telescope
Posted 12-4-2016 | 0 comments
A look at the upcoming orbital observatory and what it will see in the depths of space.

Jumping widowbirds
Posted 12-3-2016 | 2 comments
These male widowbirds are competing to see which of them can jump the highest.

Why do we like shiny things ?
Posted 12-2-2016 | 7 comments
Why do we seem to be intrinsically drawn from an early age to shiny objects ?

Why are dogs so different ?
Posted 12-1-2016 | 5 comments
Despite being the same species, various breeds of dogs can be very different indeed.

Not my daughter