Thursday, July 20, 2017

Woman walks off pier while glued to phone

Posted on Thursday, 19 December, 2013 | Comment icon 25 comments

Mobiles take up a lot of attention these days. Image Credit: sxc.hu
A young woman in Australia was so engrossed with Facebook on her phone that she walked off a pier.
Those who spend a great deal of time browsing the web or sending messages on their mobiles may find themselves losing track of the outside world once in a while, but in an incident in Australia this week one tourist succeeded in taking this to a whole new level.

The woman had been walking along St Kilda's pier in Melbourne when, utterly engrossed with her mobile, she failed to see the edge and simply walked straight off the pier and in to the sea below.

By the time rescue services managed to retrieve her the woman had been in the water for close to 20 minutes. When she was pulled out rescuers found that she was still clutching her phone.

"She had a mobile phone in one of her hands and when we brought her onboard one of the first things she did was apologise and say sorry," said Senior Constable Dean Kelly.

She was later taken to hospital for a check-up but seemed to be no worse for wear despite her ordeal.

Source: Sky News | Comments (25)

Tags: Mobile Phone, Facebook

Comment icon #16 Posted by Eldorado on 19 December, 2013, 18:06
everyone being so obsessed with their little gadgets should get shoved into the pier! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPW8xmI4w6U lol
Comment icon #17 Posted by WhyDontYouBeliEveMe on 19 December, 2013, 22:17
its seriously dangerous !
Comment icon #18 Posted by freetoroam on 20 December, 2013, 0:02
We need to build more piers and fountains.
Comment icon #19 Posted by Duchess Gummybuns on 20 December, 2013, 0:45
"Oh, yeah.... Yeah, life's good.... Hang on, I think there's a pier nearby.... Ah, I'll ignore it. So, anywa-" The last thing she said before she dun goofed. Seriously. How could you NOT see a pier right in front of you? You have to be so attached to electronics not to see it.
Comment icon #20 Posted by Princess Serenity on 20 December, 2013, 1:15
Comment icon #21 Posted by Jacques Terreur on 20 December, 2013, 5:16
People need to stop looking down at their phones when they are walking. I rarely look at my phone unless I have messages, checking the time, and to see if anyone called me. -.-; People are going to have neck problems by having their head down all the time! the whole phenomenon turns me into two things: 1) my own gramps: because i get seriously annoyed by people in the streets being stuck to their gadgets (inner fist-shaking and thinking "damn you kids!!") 2) a major dick: i caught myself several times bumping deliberately into people coming towards me and not paying attention. maybe i could be... [More]
Comment icon #22 Posted by coolguy on 20 December, 2013, 6:23
Wow so she did take a long walk off a short pier. Any way I hope she won't do this agin
Comment icon #23 Posted by cyclopes500 on 2 January, 2014, 19:23
Comment icon #24 Posted by Jacques Terreur on 3 January, 2014, 11:46
GOOD JOB SHE WASN'T DRIVING A SPEEDBOAT. IF SHE HAD BEEN THEN IN THEORY SHE COULD HAVE KILLED AND INJURED A LOT OF PEOPLE. CROWD OF YOUNG KIDS. HIGH SPEED BOAT WITH SHARP BOW. SHARP PROPELLER. IT'D MAKE A RIGHT MESS I RECKON IF IT HIT A PACKED OUT BEACH. THAT'S TRUE! BUT TYPING LIKE THIS MAKES IT LOOK LIKE YOU'RE SCREAAAAAAAMIIIIIIING!!!!!! IS THERE A SPEEDBOAT APPROACHING??? COVEEEEERRRR!!!!
Comment icon #25 Posted by Adirondack-Bob on 3 January, 2014, 22:07
Too funny! Here's a woman so engrossed in her texting she stumbled right into a water fountain in the mall. Guess where she works?

Today marks 48 years since first Moon landing
7-20-2017
Buzz Aldrin and Neil Armstrong made history when they set foot on the lunar surface 48 years ago today.
Australia find 'rewrites the history books'
7-20-2017
Archaeologists now believe that Australia was colonized 18,000 years earlier than previously thought.
Top US general warns against killer robots
7-19-2017
General Paul Selva has spoken out about the dangers of creating fully autonomous weapon systems.
Frozen sausages land on house roof in Florida
7-19-2017
A family in South Florida were left perplexed this week after their house was hit by bags of frozen meat.
Do not microwave an airbag
Posted 7-20-2017 | 2 comments
The Slo Mo Guys capture what happens when you put an airbag in a microwave.

How do fireworks get their colors ?
Posted 7-19-2017 | 0 comments
Fireworks are well known for their colorful explosions, but where do the colors come from ?

The man who swims towards sharks
Posted 7-18-2017 | 1 comment
Marine biologist Yannis doesn't avoid sharks, he deliberately seeks them out.

Dog for mayor ?
Posted 7-17-2017 | 1 comment
What happens exactly when a town votes for a dog or a cat to be the mayor ? How does this work ?

The asteroid hunters
Posted 7-16-2017 | 1 comment
A look at ongoing efforts to detect and track potentially dangerous asteroids.

I can hear someone
6-27-2017 | Maryland

My dead father spoke to me
6-27-2017 | Alabama

Is my child predicting our death ?
6-27-2017 | Lincoln Park, MI

Craig is here
6-10-2017 | Phoenix AZ

We saw the same thing!
6-10-2017 | Pooler, GA

Three female faces
6-5-2017 | Illinois (IL)

Encounter at 3:33 AM
6-5-2017 | Budapest

Trade school terror
5-26-2017 | Cedro woolley, Wa.