Friday, September 22, 2017

Have scientists found a cure for ageing ?

Posted on Sunday, 22 December, 2013 | Comment icon 42 comments

Is it really possible to turn back time ? Image Credit: sxc.hu
Researchers from Australia and the US believe they've identified a way to rewind the ageing process.
The breakthrough is based on the communication between the mitochondrion and the nucleus inside individual cells. In youth this communication occurs quickly and frequently, but as the cells age the process starts to slow down.

In an effort to reverse the process, researchers injected mice with a compound called NMN which repairs the network of communication within the cells. The results were extremely promising, with a mouse equivalent to a 60-year-old human exhibiting the equivalent biological age of a 20-year-old. The younger the subject when the treatment was administered, the more effective it seemed to be. Older mice benefited too, but not as much.

"It may be in the future that your age in years isn't going to matter as much as your biological age," said molecular biologist David Sinclair. "What we've shown here is that you can turn back your biological age, or at least we think we have found a way to do that."

Human trials are set to begin next year.

Source: Stuff.co.nz | Comments (42)

Tags: Ageing

Comment icon #33 Posted by Lilly on 24 December, 2013, 12:31
This is primarily about muscular age, and so, I think that everyone would still die at around 120 when their brain finally started giving out, but they might leave a fine body behind. Yes, this is basically what I understood. Personally, I'm all for it. I'm at the point in life where I'm really having to fight off degeneration...and let me tell you it's exhausting. I spend a great deal of time doing stuff just to remain 'ok'. Anything that could help would be wonderful. Oh, and those folks who say that they'd be fine with 'checking out' at 60 are usually far removed from 60.
Comment icon #34 Posted by DieChecker on 24 December, 2013, 21:42
Yes, this is basically what I understood. Personally, I'm all for it. I'm at the point in life where I'm really having to fight off degeneration...and let me tell you it's exhausting. I spend a great deal of time doing stuff just to remain 'ok'. Anything that could help would be wonderful. Oh, and those folks who say that they'd be fine with 'checking out' at 60 are usually far removed from 60. Yeah, my 20 something Brother-In-Law keeps using the phrase, "I'm going to die at 35 and leave a good looking body behind." If you ask a teenager how old their grandparents are they will usually say, "I... [More]
Comment icon #35 Posted by Ryu on 29 December, 2013, 13:55
You know, aging isn't a disease to be "cured". It is part of all life. Maybe science should focus on treating real disorders like MS or something and creating treatments that doesn't involve basket-loads of daily drugs.
Comment icon #36 Posted by JGirl on 29 December, 2013, 14:34
oh goodie immortal mice
Comment icon #37 Posted by thyra on 29 December, 2013, 15:14
oh goodie immortal mice Yes very suspicious. Perhaps somebody did that before. below is the brain cell of a mouse compared to simulation of universe.
Comment icon #38 Posted by Hawkin on 30 December, 2013, 2:55
I wonder if it would reverse the affects of arthritis due to ageing? If not, then forget it.
Comment icon #39 Posted by Lilly on 30 December, 2013, 3:33
You know, aging isn't a disease to be "cured". It is part of all life... The stuff that goes along with aging certainly isn't a pleasant 'part of life'. This research doesn't offer immortality, just a way (perhaps) to lessen some of the degeneration that comes with aging. And, from where I stand that's a pretty big deal.
Comment icon #40 Posted by Duchess Gummybuns on 4 January, 2014, 21:30
I WILL BE IMMORTAL I WILL BE THE HIGHLANDER Or so.
Comment icon #41 Posted by WoIverine on 15 January, 2014, 22:23
Haha, they're going to need some immortal cats to go along with those mice.
Comment icon #42 Posted by nec207 on 16 January, 2014, 21:26
scientist still don't fully understand what causes aging.Many scientist believe radiation ,sun exposure and smoking causes wrinkled skin. Well gray hair they believe is caused by genetics. Organ failing the theory is believed to be caused by free radicals over time. So unless you go 500 feet below the earth away from sun and radiation and you never smoke you will have wrinkled skin!! And unless you really starve ( go days with out eating) you self and stay away from meat you will have free radicals.

Plants may need to sleep, just like we do
9-21-2017
A new study has suggested that sleep may actually be fundamental to all life, not just to animals.
Europe withdraws from anti-asteroid mission
9-21-2017
An upcoming mission designed to test out the deflection of a large asteroid has hit a bit of a snag.
Giant prehistoric frog ate small dinosaurs
9-21-2017
At the size of a beach ball, the monster-sized Beelzebufo ampinga was the largest frog that ever lived.
550 million-year-old creature mystery solved
9-20-2017
Scientists believe that they have finally worked out what type of creature 'Dickinsonia' actually was.
Science-fiction spacesuits
Posted 9-21-2017 | 0 comments
Adam Savage investigates a number of intricately detailed spacesuits used in movies.

Extreme neodymium magnet
Posted 9-20-2017 | 0 comments
Unboxing a magnet so powerful that it can suspend huge weights off the underside of a table.

Derren Brown and new age crystals
Posted 9-19-2017 | 0 comments
The psychological illusionist is joined by actor Martin Freeman for this remarkable trick.

I'll eat my hat
Posted 9-18-2017 | 0 comments
Where did the strange phrase 'I'll eat my hat' actually come from ?

Meet the microscopic life in your home
Posted 9-17-2017 | 0 comments
Think your home is free of meddlesome microscopic life forms ? Think again.

Guardian angel ?
9-13-2017 | Middle of nowhere Iowa

I'm not normal, but I'm not alone
9-13-2017 | South Africa

When I was very little
9-13-2017 | Sturgis So.Dakota

Weird light orbs and chills
9-13-2017 | Poland

Unexplained light flashes
8-30-2017 | Louisiana

A night that I will never forget
8-18-2017 | Massena, NY