Thursday, July 27, 2017

Have scientists found a cure for ageing ?

Posted on Sunday, 22 December, 2013 | Comment icon 42 comments

Is it really possible to turn back time ? Image Credit: sxc.hu
Researchers from Australia and the US believe they've identified a way to rewind the ageing process.
The breakthrough is based on the communication between the mitochondrion and the nucleus inside individual cells. In youth this communication occurs quickly and frequently, but as the cells age the process starts to slow down.

In an effort to reverse the process, researchers injected mice with a compound called NMN which repairs the network of communication within the cells. The results were extremely promising, with a mouse equivalent to a 60-year-old human exhibiting the equivalent biological age of a 20-year-old. The younger the subject when the treatment was administered, the more effective it seemed to be. Older mice benefited too, but not as much.

"It may be in the future that your age in years isn't going to matter as much as your biological age," said molecular biologist David Sinclair. "What we've shown here is that you can turn back your biological age, or at least we think we have found a way to do that."

Human trials are set to begin next year.

Source: Stuff.co.nz | Comments (42)

Tags: Ageing

Comment icon #33 Posted by Lilly on 24 December, 2013, 12:31
This is primarily about muscular age, and so, I think that everyone would still die at around 120 when their brain finally started giving out, but they might leave a fine body behind. Yes, this is basically what I understood. Personally, I'm all for it. I'm at the point in life where I'm really having to fight off degeneration...and let me tell you it's exhausting. I spend a great deal of time doing stuff just to remain 'ok'. Anything that could help would be wonderful. Oh, and those folks who say that they'd be fine with 'checking out' at 60 are usually far removed from 60.
Comment icon #34 Posted by DieChecker on 24 December, 2013, 21:42
Yes, this is basically what I understood. Personally, I'm all for it. I'm at the point in life where I'm really having to fight off degeneration...and let me tell you it's exhausting. I spend a great deal of time doing stuff just to remain 'ok'. Anything that could help would be wonderful. Oh, and those folks who say that they'd be fine with 'checking out' at 60 are usually far removed from 60. Yeah, my 20 something Brother-In-Law keeps using the phrase, "I'm going to die at 35 and leave a good looking body behind." If you ask a teenager how old their grandparents are they will usually say, "I... [More]
Comment icon #35 Posted by Ryu on 29 December, 2013, 13:55
You know, aging isn't a disease to be "cured". It is part of all life. Maybe science should focus on treating real disorders like MS or something and creating treatments that doesn't involve basket-loads of daily drugs.
Comment icon #36 Posted by JGirl on 29 December, 2013, 14:34
oh goodie immortal mice
Comment icon #37 Posted by thyra on 29 December, 2013, 15:14
oh goodie immortal mice Yes very suspicious. Perhaps somebody did that before. below is the brain cell of a mouse compared to simulation of universe.
Comment icon #38 Posted by Hawkin on 30 December, 2013, 2:55
I wonder if it would reverse the affects of arthritis due to ageing? If not, then forget it.
Comment icon #39 Posted by Lilly on 30 December, 2013, 3:33
You know, aging isn't a disease to be "cured". It is part of all life... The stuff that goes along with aging certainly isn't a pleasant 'part of life'. This research doesn't offer immortality, just a way (perhaps) to lessen some of the degeneration that comes with aging. And, from where I stand that's a pretty big deal.
Comment icon #40 Posted by Duchess Gummybuns on 4 January, 2014, 21:30
I WILL BE IMMORTAL I WILL BE THE HIGHLANDER Or so.
Comment icon #41 Posted by WoIverine on 15 January, 2014, 22:23
Haha, they're going to need some immortal cats to go along with those mice.
Comment icon #42 Posted by nec207 on 16 January, 2014, 21:26
scientist still don't fully understand what causes aging.Many scientist believe radiation ,sun exposure and smoking causes wrinkled skin. Well gray hair they believe is caused by genetics. Organ failing the theory is believed to be caused by free radicals over time. So unless you go 500 feet below the earth away from sun and radiation and you never smoke you will have wrinkled skin!! And unless you really starve ( go days with out eating) you self and stay away from meat you will have free radicals.

California residents report 'Chupacabra'
7-27-2017
Alleged sightings of the cryptozoological creature have sparked concerns over the safety of local pets.
Our atoms came from far across the universe
7-27-2017
A new study has revealed that half of the atoms that make up our bodies have come from beyond the galaxy.
Private firm set to land on the Moon in 2019
7-27-2017
Astrobotic is aiming to land its unmanned Peregrine lunar lander on the surface of the Moon in two years' time.
3,500-year-old lunch box found in Swiss Alps
7-26-2017
An extraordinarily well-preserved lunch box has been discovered on Switzerland's Lotschberg mountain.
Octopus goes for a walk
Posted 7-27-2017 | 3 comments
As this video shows, not all octopus' limit their exploration to the bottom of the sea.

Augmented reality
Posted 7-26-2017 | 1 comment
A look at a new technology that superimposes computer-generated images over the real world.

Redefining the kilogram
Posted 7-24-2017 | 0 comments

Stretchy batteries
Posted 7-23-2017 | 0 comments
Scientists have come up with a way to make batteries and their cases stretchy.

Counting to one billion
Posted 7-22-2017 | 1 comment

My real, true experiences
7-26-2017 | New Zealand

Incoming call
7-26-2017 | B.T. Collins Park: Folsom, CA

Three knocks woke me up twice
7-26-2017 | Virginia

Spider signs
7-21-2017 | Michigan

My ancestry is calling me
7-21-2017 | Morgan Hill, Ca

I can hear someone
6-27-2017 | Maryland

My dead father spoke to me
6-27-2017 | Alabama

Is my child predicting our death ?
6-27-2017 | Lincoln Park, MI