Friday, August 18, 2017

Sun's magnetic field has flipped upside-down

Posted on Tuesday, 31 December, 2013 | Comment icon 14 comments

The magnetic reversal is a regular occurrence. Image Credit: NASA/SDO
NASA has announced that the long-awaited reversal of the sun's magnetic poles has finally taken place.
The reversal, which takes place every 11 years, is part of the sun's natural cycle and is not believed to pose any risk to the Earth. The magnetic fields will now begin their next cycle which will culminate in another reversal at the end of the 22 year long process.

"A reversal of the sun's magnetic field is, literally, a big event," said Dr. Tony Phillips. "The domain of the sun's magnetic influence (also known as the 'heliosphere') extends billions of kilometers beyond Pluto. Changes to the field's polarity ripple all the way out to the Voyager probes, on the doorstep of interstellar space."

Source: Independent | Comments (14)

Tags: Sun, Magnetic Poles

Comment icon #5 Posted by skookum on 31 December, 2013, 16:05
Comment icon #6 Posted by Space_Jockey on 31 December, 2013, 16:38
If only I could be so grossly incandescent. Praise the sun.
Comment icon #7 Posted by ninjadude on 31 December, 2013, 19:55
Is there an English word for, "once every eleven years," like maybe "eleventyannual?" Undecennial https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anniversary#Latin-derived_numerical_names
Comment icon #8 Posted by pallidin on 31 December, 2013, 20:05
Well, this explains why I flipped on my wife. At least now I have an "excuse"
Comment icon #9 Posted by DieChecker on 31 December, 2013, 20:56
I saw people talking about this and claiming it was a very epic event, but they failed to mention the every 11 years part. This has happened 4 times since I was born. Hoo hum..... Interesting, but understood.
Comment icon #10 Posted by ancient astronaut on 1 January, 2014, 2:56
I flipped upside down once. It hurt like the ****.
Comment icon #11 Posted by Frank Merton on 1 January, 2014, 3:05
When I was young I could walk on my hands and flip or do cartwheels down the street. Everyone should be young.
Comment icon #12 Posted by Waspie_Dwarf on 7 January, 2014, 12:42
Interesting, but understood. "Understood" is overstating it a bit. We know that it does it. We know how frequently it does it. We don't really know why it does it.
Comment icon #13 Posted by Sundew on 12 January, 2014, 19:23
"Understood" is overstating it a bit. We know that it does it. We know how frequently it does it. We don't really know why it does it. Does it actually have any effect upon the Earth (such as our communications or our satellites) or is it just a scientific curiosity?
Comment icon #14 Posted by lightly on 12 January, 2014, 23:01
Could this effect the weather? Maybe the reason why we have had storm after storm in the UK over a week or more. dunno... but i noticed a big change in the weather around then too. I was sort of thinking the solstice might have had something to do with it in some UNunderstood way ??? but i wonder if you might be right about it possibly affecting weather. ...There have been some major solar flares lately too ... ??

Mystery of distant Kuiper Belt object deepens
8-17-2017
The next target of NASA's New Horizons probe is a space rock with some rather intriguing properties.
Scientists solve animal evolution mystery
8-17-2017
A sea algae boom has been credited with the rise of the first complex life forms in Earth's distant past.
Man finds snake on a supermarket pineapple
8-17-2017
A man in Edinburgh got the fright of his life on Tuesday when he found the reptile in his shopping.
Insect burgers to go on sale in Switzerland
8-16-2017
Insect-based edibles are beginning to appear in shops after a recent revision of food safety laws.
Concrete blocks chest smash
Posted 8-17-2017 | 0 comments
Multiple world record holder Ali Bahcetepe has 16 concrete blocks smashed on his chest.

Animal symbiotic relationships
Posted 8-16-2017 | 2 comments
A look at some of the animal species that rely on one another to survive.

How much of the Earth can be seen at once ?
Posted 8-15-2017 | 0 comments
What is the maximum amount of our planet that you can see from any given point ?

Will batteries power the world ?
Posted 8-14-2017 | 0 comments
Is there a limit to how small and light a rechargeable lithium-ion battery can be ?

Hoia-Baciu - the world's most haunted forest
Posted 8-13-2017 | 0 comments
A look at an area of forest that some people describe as Romania's own 'Bermuda Triangle'.

Ghost experiences ?
8-11-2017 | United States

My real, true experiences
7-26-2017 | New Zealand

Incoming call
7-26-2017 | B.T. Collins Park: Folsom, CA

Three knocks woke me up twice
7-26-2017 | Virginia

Spider signs
7-21-2017 | Michigan

My ancestry is calling me
7-21-2017 | Morgan Hill, Ca

I can hear someone
6-27-2017 | Maryland

My dead father spoke to me
6-27-2017 | Alabama