Thursday, August 17, 2017

Politician tenders resignation in Klingon

Posted on Sunday, 5 January, 2014 | Comment icon 7 comments

The letter featured Klingon text with an English translation. Image Credit: sxc.hu
Council member David Waddell decided upon the unique resignation method as part of an inside joke.
According to The Charlotte Observer, Waddell had decided to step down from his position in Indian Trail, North Carolina due to frustrations over the town's development and because he wasn't happy about the way requests for public information were being handled.

Rather than submitting a traditional resignation however, Waddell opted to tender his resignation with a letter written in the fictional Star Trek language Klingon.

"Perhaps today is a good day (to) resign," he wrote. The letter had been translated using an online tool and also included the original English version for those unable to speak Klingon. "Folks don't know what to think of me half the time ... I might as well have one last laugh," he said.

Not everyone saw the funny side however, with mayor Michael Alvarez condemning the stunt as unprofessional. "It's an embarrassment for Indian Trail, and it's an embarrassment for North Carolina," he said.

Source: Sky News | Comments (7)

Tags: David Waddell, Klingon, Star Trek

Comment icon #1 Posted by Sir Wearer of Hats on 4 January, 2014, 22:58
What a Merchant Banker.
Comment icon #2 Posted by davros of skaro on 4 January, 2014, 23:30
He eats his Gagh cold no doubt.
Comment icon #3 Posted by Simbi Laveau on 4 January, 2014, 23:58
Comment icon #4 Posted by spartan max2 on 5 January, 2014, 1:55
lol might as well go out like that . Instead of politicians always acting like they have a stick up their ass aka "professional" North Carolina seems to be a hell hole. I heard this letter ruined his career, but who knows. North Carolina was nice when I was there. Why do you call it a hell hole?
Comment icon #5 Posted by aquatus1 on 5 January, 2014, 4:12
North Carolina seems to be a hell hole. I heard this letter ruined his career, but who knows. Yeah, it was kind of a childish thing to do. Strangely, a childish scandal makes people seem less reliable than an ethical scandal.
Comment icon #6 Posted by moonshadow60 on 5 January, 2014, 19:25
We go through a new crop of counselors in my town continually and Klingon is probably the most civilized of languages to use when tendering your resignation to a hostile town government.
Comment icon #7 Posted by Kelevra on 5 January, 2014, 22:03
I heard this letter ruined his career, but who knows. At least he'll get invited to some weird conventions.

Man finds snake on a supermarket pineapple
8-17-2017
A man in Edinburgh got the fright of his life on Tuesday when he found the reptile in his shopping.
Insect burgers to go on sale in Switzerland
8-16-2017
Insect-based edibles are beginning to appear in shops after a recent revision of food safety laws.
Firm set to put a cellphone tower on the Moon
8-16-2017
A German startup is aiming to land rovers on the Moon that will communicate using cellphone technology.
'Frankenstein dinosaur' is 'missing link'
8-16-2017
The mystery surrounding a dinosaur made up of various mismatched body parts has finally been solved.
Concrete blocks chest smash
Posted 8-17-2017 | 0 comments
Multiple world record holder Ali Bahcetepe has 16 concrete blocks smashed on his chest.

Animal symbiotic relationships
Posted 8-16-2017 | 2 comments
A look at some of the animal species that rely on one another to survive.

How much of the Earth can be seen at once ?
Posted 8-15-2017 | 0 comments
What is the maximum amount of our planet that you can see from any given point ?

Ghost experiences ?
8-11-2017 | United States

My real, true experiences
7-26-2017 | New Zealand

Incoming call
7-26-2017 | B.T. Collins Park: Folsom, CA

Three knocks woke me up twice
7-26-2017 | Virginia

Spider signs
7-21-2017 | Michigan

My ancestry is calling me
7-21-2017 | Morgan Hill, Ca

I can hear someone
6-27-2017 | Maryland

My dead father spoke to me
6-27-2017 | Alabama