Sunday, July 31, 2016

How do you survive a nuclear detonation ?

Posted on Tuesday, 21 January, 2014 | Comment icon 36 comments

What do you do if a nuclear bomb goes off ? Image Credit: US Department of Energy
New research has suggested that running may be more effective than sheltering where you are.
The Cold War might be over, but the threat of a nuclear attack on a populated area has never truly disappeared. Traditional advice in the event of a nuclear explosion is to shelter in the nearest protective building, but atmospheric scientist Michael Dillon has determined that there could be a more effective option.

Having realized that not everyone has access to a basement or other appropriate place to use as a fallout shelter, Dillon looked to mathematics to calculate the most effective course of action. What he found was that it is often better to run and try to find better shelter than to stay where you are.

According to his findings, if your current shelter is poor and there is a better option within five minutes travel time then you should go there as soon as possible. If the higher quality shelter is more distant, you should only attempt to reach it if you can do so within 30 minutes of the bomb's detonation.

Dillon believes that if everyone in a major metropolitan area followed this advice in the event of a nuclear bomb detonation it could potentially save up to 100,000 lives.

Source: Sciencemag.org | Comments (36)

Tags: Nuclear, Bomb

Comment icon #27 Posted by shaddow134 on 22 January, 2014, 14:11
I`ll just run into one of Obama`s shelter, sure there are a few of them underground....ready for us normal folk. All I need to do is take my 1572 cans of baked beans with me and I am sorted.......hope they do not ask for ID. I572 cans of bake beans,one would hope they have gas masks.......
Comment icon #28 Posted by TheGreatBeliever on 22 January, 2014, 15:04
i don see how u can run from it. whats more nucear weapons now come in rockets..
Comment icon #29 Posted by Calibeliever on 22 January, 2014, 15:25
I say the best solution is too hang out in vaults. Just make sure that you pack enough weapons for the radioactive ants (Fallout joke for any Fallout fans) And bring TWO pair of glasses! (anyone?)
Comment icon #30 Posted by lightly on 22 January, 2014, 15:48
I'd better write that down. ...... [ Run Away ]
Comment icon #31 Posted by Metal Head on 23 January, 2014, 18:00
Check out Joel Skounsen's Strategic Relocation video, a lot of aspects of nuclear fallout and its affects are over-exaggerated. You can survive in the right location. You can also find his book in .pdf form that outlines each state and where the best location would be to evacuate and prepare.
Comment icon #32 Posted by thyra on 23 January, 2014, 18:55
Of course just like indiana jones, in a kitchen fridge. Dont forget to put your cat into the car fridge as well.
Comment icon #33 Posted by WillSoMysterious on 27 January, 2014, 22:53
Comment icon #34 Posted by Kelevra on 28 January, 2014, 1:56
I just wanna know how much radiation I should expose myself to to get superpowers. Is that too much to ask?
Comment icon #35 Posted by Ugly1 on 28 January, 2014, 12:05
I've already figured out a way to survive. I'd simply just hide under a layer of my own ego, I should be nice and safe under there. Just make sure that you hide under a layer of your ego somewhere other than the middle of the street please. I don't want to get a flat tire running over your corpse.
Comment icon #36 Posted by justcalmebubba on 29 January, 2014, 19:03
bend over grab your ankles and kiss your ass good bye... cause if the shockwave doesnt kill you and you survive the fall out some how you still have to get through the infections cause from all the extra bs eather way at sume point the reaper will come calling

How much would the Enterprise cost to run ?
7-30-2016
An engineering firm has attempted to calculate how much Captain Kirk's ship would actually cost to run.
Mammoth cloning attempt in 'initial stages'
7-30-2016
Russian and Korean scientists have made an important first step towards creating a live woolly mammoth.
Norway is planning to give Finland a mountain
7-30-2016
The summit of Mount Halti could be gifted to Finland to celebrate 100 years of independence from Russia.
Cheese discovered in 340-year-old shipwreck
7-29-2016
A container of foul-smelling cheese has been recovered from the site of a sunken 17th-century gunship.
Unboxing an $8000 robot
Posted 7-30-2016 | 1 comment
For the technology enthusiast who has everything - here's Nao the robot.

Can you crash something in to the sun ?
Posted 7-29-2016 | 0 comments
A look at the difficulties involved in sending a spacecraft to collide with the sun.

What if Lego figures were real ?
Posted 7-28-2016 | 4 comments
A bizarre look at a creepy Lego-inspired mask that turns you in to a life-sized Lego minifigure.

Following the Oregon Trail
Posted 7-27-2016 | 1 comment
A look back at Narcissa Whitman - the first woman to complete the Oregon Trail.

Walking over light bulbs
Posted 7-26-2016 | 5 comments
This skilled Chinese woman succeeds in walking across light bulbs for 20 meters.

Light in Orion
7-23-2016 | Tampa, Florida

Girl with the broken neck
7-23-2016 | Mississippi

Holes in cotton clothing
7-23-2016 | Somerset, UK

Three knocks in the night
6-28-2016 | Cedar City, Utah