Sunday, April 23, 2017

How do you survive a nuclear detonation ?

Posted on Tuesday, 21 January, 2014 | Comment icon 36 comments

What do you do if a nuclear bomb goes off ? Image Credit: US Department of Energy
New research has suggested that running may be more effective than sheltering where you are.
The Cold War might be over, but the threat of a nuclear attack on a populated area has never truly disappeared. Traditional advice in the event of a nuclear explosion is to shelter in the nearest protective building, but atmospheric scientist Michael Dillon has determined that there could be a more effective option.

Having realized that not everyone has access to a basement or other appropriate place to use as a fallout shelter, Dillon looked to mathematics to calculate the most effective course of action. What he found was that it is often better to run and try to find better shelter than to stay where you are.

According to his findings, if your current shelter is poor and there is a better option within five minutes travel time then you should go there as soon as possible. If the higher quality shelter is more distant, you should only attempt to reach it if you can do so within 30 minutes of the bomb's detonation.

Dillon believes that if everyone in a major metropolitan area followed this advice in the event of a nuclear bomb detonation it could potentially save up to 100,000 lives.

Source: Sciencemag.org | Comments (36)

Tags: Nuclear, Bomb

Comment icon #27 Posted by shaddow134 on 22 January, 2014, 14:11
I`ll just run into one of Obama`s shelter, sure there are a few of them underground....ready for us normal folk. All I need to do is take my 1572 cans of baked beans with me and I am sorted.......hope they do not ask for ID. I572 cans of bake beans,one would hope they have gas masks.......
Comment icon #28 Posted by TheGreatBeliever on 22 January, 2014, 15:04
i don see how u can run from it. whats more nucear weapons now come in rockets..
Comment icon #29 Posted by Calibeliever on 22 January, 2014, 15:25
I say the best solution is too hang out in vaults. Just make sure that you pack enough weapons for the radioactive ants (Fallout joke for any Fallout fans) And bring TWO pair of glasses! (anyone?)
Comment icon #30 Posted by lightly on 22 January, 2014, 15:48
I'd better write that down. ...... [ Run Away ]
Comment icon #31 Posted by Metal Head on 23 January, 2014, 18:00
Check out Joel Skounsen's Strategic Relocation video, a lot of aspects of nuclear fallout and its affects are over-exaggerated. You can survive in the right location. You can also find his book in .pdf form that outlines each state and where the best location would be to evacuate and prepare.
Comment icon #32 Posted by thyra on 23 January, 2014, 18:55
Of course just like indiana jones, in a kitchen fridge. Dont forget to put your cat into the car fridge as well.
Comment icon #33 Posted by WillSoMysterious on 27 January, 2014, 22:53
Comment icon #34 Posted by Kelevra on 28 January, 2014, 1:56
I just wanna know how much radiation I should expose myself to to get superpowers. Is that too much to ask?
Comment icon #35 Posted by Ugly1 on 28 January, 2014, 12:05
I've already figured out a way to survive. I'd simply just hide under a layer of my own ego, I should be nice and safe under there. Just make sure that you hide under a layer of your ego somewhere other than the middle of the street please. I don't want to get a flat tire running over your corpse.
Comment icon #36 Posted by justcalmebubba on 29 January, 2014, 19:03
bend over grab your ankles and kiss your ass good bye... cause if the shockwave doesnt kill you and you survive the fall out some how you still have to get through the infections cause from all the extra bs eather way at sume point the reaper will come calling

Japan's 'burning pavement' mystery solved
4-23-2017
Authorities in Japan have determined how a stretch of city pavement has been burning people's feet.
Pigeon makes its nest inside woman's kitchen
4-23-2017
When Genevieve Roman returned to her apartment recently she discovered that she had a new roommate.
Fossilized dinosaur eggs unearthed in China
4-23-2017
Discovered near Foshan in the southeast of the country, the eggs date back over 70 million years.
'Most Haunted' crew films 'ghost' in old house
4-22-2017
The footage shows a shadowy figure walking up a staircase in a stately home in Rotherham, England.
Cave-dwelling spiders
Posted 4-23-2017 | 3 comments
A new species of spider has been found living in caves and mine shafts in Mexico.

The human bridge of musicality
Posted 4-22-2017 | 1 comment
A look at how the human brain perceives the concept of music and how it is processed.

Swarm of locusts
Posted 4-21-2017 | 0 comments
A look at the extreme destructive power of an enormous swarm of desert locusts.

Lawrence Krauss on optimism
Posted 4-20-2017 | 0 comments
Physicist Lawrence Krauss discusses the fact that the universe doesn't care about us at all.

A whale of a time capsule
Posted 4-19-2017 | 1 comment
Researchers investigate old newspapers used in a 1930s museum display of a blue whale.

Grandpa's visit
4-14-2017 | Portugal

Mysterious dog
4-14-2017 | Utah

A night to remember
4-14-2017 | Philippines

Am I going crazy ?
3-30-2017 | South Africa

Sleep paralysis or my father ?
3-30-2017 | Los Angeles