Friday, May 6, 2016   |   4,779 users online
    Home  ·  News  ·  Forum  ·  Stories  ·  Image Gallery  ·  Columns  ·  Encyclopedia  ·  Videos  ·  Chat

Girl, 16, survives fall of over 3,000ft

Posted on Friday, 31 January, 2014 | Comment icon 37 comments

Makenzie's chute failed to deploy properly. Image Credit: sxc.hu
Makenzie Wethington had been on a skydiving trip as a treat for her birthday when disaster struck.
The 16-year-old had jumped from the plane over Oklahoma when her parachute became tangled and failed to open properly. Instructors had attempted to offer her assistance over a headset, however she appeared to black out and subsequently plummeted more than 3,000ft to the ground.

As emergency crews rushed to the scene they were amazed to discover that despite some serious injuries, Makenzie was still very much alive. The impact had broken her pelvis, lumbar spine and shoulder blade but thanks to prompt medical intervention she was able to pull through. Doctors are optimistic that she will be able to leave the hospital's intensive care unit soon.

"I don't know the particulars of the accident, as I wasn't there," said trauma surgeon Dr Jeffrey Bender. "But if she truly fell 3,000ft, I have no idea how she survived."

Source: Independent | Comments (37)

Tags: Skydiving.Parachute

Comment icon #28 Posted by Still Waters on 1 February, 2014, 15:42
It's possible she would have coped with it had she not blacked out. Poor girl must have been terrified and I can understand why her father would want to blame somebody in his anger. Luckily she survived her ordeal.
Comment icon #29 Posted by Razer on 2 February, 2014, 0:43
As a gift around the same age, I had a static line jump like that and my father had to sign for me because I was not 18. Basically you have a few hours of instruction, go up in the plane with a chord attached that opens your chute shortly after you jump out. As far as guiding the chute correctly it is pretty easy, pull down on the right toggle to turn right and the left one to turn left, For me there was a man one the ground with a giant red arrow that he would turn to let me know which way to go. I was able to land right where he guided me and it was a soft landing. They did train us... [More]
Comment icon #30 Posted by Kazahel on 2 February, 2014, 2:46
Same for me when I did my first static jump from 5000 feet. I jumped as a gift for myself on my 18th. We had to train midweek before the Saturday jump and we then trained on the day again. We used the big arrow on the ground too and it was pretty easy to control everything. My first jump though I landed fine but I started to get dragged by the chute and was trying to remember what they taught, so it took me a couple of seconds to remember. So I wouldn't want a mid air drama first time from 3000 feet. Poor girl mustve freaked. I started with about 8 static jumps from 5000 feet and on th... [More]
Comment icon #31 Posted by Likely Guy on 2 February, 2014, 3:23
My brother's first jump was in 1973 when he was 15 (static line). He threw me out for my 30th birthday (20 years ago) and they stopped using statics years before that. They pull your pilot-chute out of a pocket and get you to climb out onto the planes strut and you let go, head up, limbs flared. Even 20 years ago, there's a ground contoller with you on radio. That was at 2,500 feet. Lot's of time. Tandem jumps are expensive, but then again, the people at drop zones are making a living too. It an expensive sport.
Comment icon #32 Posted by Likely Guy on 2 February, 2014, 3:26
It took me about three hours to wipe the smile off my face.
Comment icon #33 Posted by Kazahel on 2 February, 2014, 17:20
Yeah I made an error mine was from 3000 feet(static), I just looked at my old certificate. My last jump was from higher though because I pulled my own chute. I first jumped back in 1993. And yeah it was scary because you climb out the plane and hang before letting go, but we didn't use a radio or anything. So I guess different places ended using static lines at different times.
Comment icon #34 Posted by Cassea on 11 February, 2014, 0:16
Agreed. Why do people automatically believe whatever the headline says? She slowed with a partially opened canopy.
Comment icon #35 Posted by pallidin on 11 February, 2014, 6:58
I also agree, 'cause I doubt she could have survived that fall without some "slowing" action from the partially deployed chute. Realizing she still suffered serious injuiries, of course. The ground composition(hard or soft) and body posture upon impact, I suppose, also are important factors regarding survivalbility. And the very quick medical response I'm sure also helped.
Comment icon #36 Posted by :PsYKoTiC:BeHAvIoR: on 11 February, 2014, 15:59
Terrifying. I hope she fully recovers, both physically and emotionally.
Comment icon #37 Posted by cgowens on 18 February, 2014, 5:14
I doubt the veracity of those stories.

Users online:
5,644,888
257,514
129,133
4,779

'Jacuzzi of Despair' found in Gulf of Mexico
5-5-2016
A strange circular pocket of super-salty water has been discovered 3,300ft below the surface of the sea.
Mystery of ancient Nazca spiral wells solved
5-5-2016
Researchers have managed to solve two mysteries pertaining to Peru's enigmatic Nazca civilization.
Humanoid robot is preparing to go in to space
5-5-2016
Known as Valkyrie, the NASA robot could help to set up a colony ahead of the first astronauts on Mars.
Ridiculously rare violet diamond unearthed
5-4-2016
An 'impossibly rare' violet diamond has been found within the depths of Australia’s remote Argyle mine.
Why is the sound of chewing so annoying ?
Posted 5-5-2016 | 3 comments
A look at why chewing and other irritating sounds can cause so much distress.

Inside a 6ft air balloon
Posted 5-4-2016 | 1 comment
The Slo Mo Guys record footage of what happens when the balloon you are inside pops.

Catching a mutated som in Chernobyl
Posted 5-3-2016 | 0 comments
Extreme angler Jeremy Wade ventures to Chernobyl to catch a rather unique specimen.

How does an owl fly so silently ?
Posted 5-2-2016 | 1 comment
Researchers record an owl in flight to determine how it flies without making a sound.

Collecting black mamba venom
Posted 5-1-2016 | 1 comment
Even a single bite from a black mamba delivers enough venom to kill up to twenty people.

Not in our jurisdiction

Christmas Day haunting
4-6-2016 | London, UK

The funeral director
3-30-2016 | Hebburn, England

A strange sighting in Spain
3-30-2016 | Albatera, Spain

Dust patterns on basement floor
3-27-2016 | Smithville, Texas