Monday, December 18, 2017

Giant isopod dies after 5-year hunger strike

Posted on Monday, 17 February, 2014 | Comment icon 21 comments

Giant isopods live in the depths of the ocean. Image Credit: CC BY-SA 2.5 OpenCage
The huge deep sea crustacean was kept at a Japanese aquarium and hadn't eaten for 1,869 days.
The peculiar creature sprung to fame after footage of it appeared online and the story of its sudden refusal to eat went viral. One of nine giant isopods kept at Japan's Toba Aquarium, the last thing it was thought to have eaten was some fish back on January 2nd 2009.

Measuring an average of up to 36cm in length, giant isopods are rarely seen but are thought to be abundant in the cold depths of the Atlantic, Pacific and Indian Oceans. A relative of the common woodlouse, the isopods are of little interest to fishermen and the few that are caught tend to end up being scavenged before they can be reeled in.

"It's sad that we were unable to feed it," said Takeya Moritaki of the aquarium's breeding research department. "I'm grateful to have had it, since it helped to create an opportunity to bring giant isopods into the spotlight."

Source: The Japan News | Comments (21)

Tags: Isopod

Comment icon #12 Posted by pallidin on 18 February, 2014, 3:29
Actually, some animals can live for far longer than 5 years without food if they enter a dormant state. Tardigrades, for example, can perform "cryptobiosis", where they dry themselves out and can last for decades, if not centuries, without food or water. You're right, my bad. I should have said no active creature. Again, though, as I recall from reading somewhere a while ago, that specific isopod would no longer eat it's native food source, whatever that is, so they infused the tank water with nutrients, which kept it alive for 5 more years. Wish I had the link. Sorry.
Comment icon #13 Posted by beelzebufo on 18 February, 2014, 3:41
You're right, my bad. I should have said no active creature. Again, though, as I recall from reading somewhere a while ago, that specific isopod would no longer eat it's native food source, whatever that is, so they infused the tank water with nutrients, which kept it alive for 5-years. Wish I had the link. Sorry. Yeah I wasn't saying you were wrong about the isopod, I just got the sudden urge to be a smart***.
Comment icon #14 Posted by pallidin on 18 February, 2014, 3:48
I hear you. I do that myself from time-to-time; for myself especially after a beer or 2 Still, you gave good info, thanks.
Comment icon #15 Posted by Rogue Suga on 18 February, 2014, 3:54
Poor thing
Comment icon #16 Posted by coolguy on 18 February, 2014, 4:41
Rip.thats cool looking they should have put it back in the ocean
Comment icon #17 Posted by EllJay on 18 February, 2014, 4:51
Horrible creature, looks like it's taken out of a horror movie. I can't help feel itchy and scratch myself all over when I see it. But it's to bad that he died though. Could be many different things that held him from eating. He might not function that well when he is out of the water pressure he is used to at the bottom, or the light he gets. Down there it's pitch dark, and it might have screwed with his senses or something, who knows. Here is a face only a mother could love.
Comment icon #18 Posted by MJNYC on 18 February, 2014, 15:18
they should have released it.
Comment icon #19 Posted by mesuma on 18 February, 2014, 23:51
They should eat it, only seems right.
Comment icon #20 Posted by beelzebufo on 19 February, 2014, 5:24
I wonder how it would taste. Maybe like a really big shrimp?
Comment icon #21 Posted by Xynoplas on 19 February, 2014, 19:56
In other news, the cafeteria has a new menu item.

New video lets you fly in to space and back
12-17-2017
Blue Origin has released new footage recorded from inside its space capsule during a recent test flight.
Rare rhino has been endangered for 9,000 years
12-17-2017
There are now fewer than 100 Sumatran rhinos left on Earth, but exactly who or what is responsible ?
Footage of US nuclear tests published online
12-16-2017
The 62 newly declassified videos show nuclear bomb experiments being conducted between 1945 and 1962.
'Extinct' mammal found alive in Australia
12-16-2017
The crest-tailed mulgara - a small carnivorous marsupial - was thought to have died out a century ago.
Slow motion wrecking ball
Posted 12-16-2017 | 1 comment
The Slo Mo Guys record the destruction of a vehicle using a 9000lb wrecking ball.

Einstein's brain
Posted 12-13-2017 | 0 comments
After he died, legendary physicist Albert Einstein's brain was preserved for study.

Is happiness contagious ?
Posted 12-12-2017 | 0 comments
Is it possible to become happy by hanging out with other people who are happy ?

Megalodon - the largest shark in history
Posted 12-11-2017 | 1 comment
A look at Megalodon - a truly monstrous creature that once roamed Eath's oceans.

Pizza night - in space
Posted 12-8-2017 | 0 comments
ISS astronauts try their hand at putting together pizzas high up in orbit around the Earth.

Mysterious Headlights
12-10-2017 | Morgan County, Alabama

Possibly a child ghost
12-10-2017 | Edgewater, Maryland

True story about black-eyed kids
12-10-2017 | Portland oregon

Alien or paranormal encounter ?
12-10-2017 | United States

Ouija board experience
12-10-2017 | Ohio

Strange occurrences
11-15-2017 | Fife

Mysterious music box song
11-15-2017 | U.S.A

Haunted military house
10-23-2017 | New Zealand

Sleep paralysis or real encounter?
10-18-2017 | United Kingdom