Thursday, July 27, 2017

New species of marsupial discovered

Posted on Wednesday, 19 February, 2014 | Comment icon 10 comments

The animals are known for being somewhat promiscuous. Image Credit: CC BY-SA 2.5 Glen Fergus
Scientists have identified a new type of antechinus that can only be found in Springbrook National Park.
The more common variety of antechinus hit the headlines last year after it was discovered that the male of the species typically died from stress after only 11 months because of its tendency to engage in marathon mating sessions, ensuring that they never survived to see the birth of their young.

Now a new species has been identified, the black-tailed antechinus, which is thought to live at high altitudes in Australia's Springbrook National Park and is already a candidate for endangered species status.

"What they do is just competitively mate, so they mate for a very long time, like 12 to 14 hours, some of the species," said biologist Dr Diana Fisher. "They do it over and over and over - they're very promiscuous. There's this huge intense mating season going on for about two weeks."

Source: ABC.net.au | Comments (10)

Tags: Antechinus

Comment icon #1 Posted by Mentalcase on 19 February, 2014, 5:58
I couldn't think of a better way to die, honestly.
Comment icon #2 Posted by psyche101 on 19 February, 2014, 6:10
Sounds like they are trying to do themselves in! Thanks for posting this PA, I better keep an eye out that I don't kill one of these endangered creatures thinking it is a rat. In fact I have seen many little creatures that look like this, but we just call them bush rats. I better take more notice.
Comment icon #3 Posted by taniwha on 19 February, 2014, 6:28
I couldn't think of a better way to die, honestly. !!!! Yikes. Whats fun about gangrene ???
Comment icon #4 Posted by psyche101 on 19 February, 2014, 7:52
!!!! Yikes. Whats fun about gangrene ??? How they got it.
Comment icon #5 Posted by SkeptcByMindBelievrByHeart on 19 February, 2014, 12:38
12-14 constant intercorse banging called the big bang reproduction.. thats some serious banging
Comment icon #6 Posted by YukiEsmaElite0 on 19 February, 2014, 13:50
Adn this is not like humans?
Comment icon #7 Posted by tagace1 on 19 February, 2014, 17:53
Adn this is not like humans? humans rest between
Comment icon #8 Posted by Xynoplas on 19 February, 2014, 19:06
"They probably follow the typical pattern of antechinus, which is all males are dead before they turn one year old," he said. There are 12 other species of antechinus. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antechinus
Comment icon #9 Posted by psyche101 on 26 February, 2014, 1:10
Adn this is not like humans? Not even close. You're married aren't you?
Comment icon #10 Posted by Codenwarra on 26 February, 2014, 10:18
I found a dead antechinus in the front of my suburban yard a couple of years ago. I knew it was dead since it didn't have a head.

3,500-year-old lunch box found in Swiss Alps
7-26-2017
An extraordinarily well-preserved lunch box has been discovered on Switzerland's Lotschberg mountain.
1962 'thing in the woods' was CIA spy camera
7-26-2017
A mystery spanning over 55 years has finally been solved thanks to newly released CIA documents.
Giant black swan once roamed New Zealand
7-26-2017
Scientists have found evidence of a huge, hulking semi-flightless swan that went extinct 500 years ago.
Time is key to happiness, new study claims
7-25-2017
According to researchers, stressing out over a lack of time is a leading cause of anxiety and depression.
Augmented reality
Posted 7-26-2017 | 1 comment
A look at a new technology that superimposes computer-generated images over the real world.

Redefining the kilogram
Posted 7-24-2017 | 0 comments

Stretchy batteries
Posted 7-23-2017 | 0 comments
Scientists have come up with a way to make batteries and their cases stretchy.

Counting to one billion
Posted 7-22-2017 | 1 comment

Dolphins beach themselves to catch fish
Posted 7-21-2017 | 0 comments

My real, true experiences
7-26-2017 | New Zealand

Incoming call
7-26-2017 | B.T. Collins Park: Folsom, CA

Three knocks woke me up twice
7-26-2017 | Virginia

Spider signs
7-21-2017 | Michigan

My ancestry is calling me
7-21-2017 | Morgan Hill, Ca

I can hear someone
6-27-2017 | Maryland

My dead father spoke to me
6-27-2017 | Alabama

Is my child predicting our death ?
6-27-2017 | Lincoln Park, MI