Sunday, October 22, 2017

Brain scans reveal dogs' vocal responses

Posted on Saturday, 22 February, 2014 | Comment icon 10 comments

Dogs are able to pick up on human vocal commands. Image Credit: CC BY-SA 2.5 Rainer Spickmann
A new study has shown that a dog's brain reacts to voices in much the same way as the brain of a human.
Researchers conducted the study by analyzing the brains of several dogs using an MRI scanner. Despite the species gap, a dog appears to perceive voices or emotionally charged sounds such as laughter in much the same way as our own brains do, suggesting a reason why our canine companions seem to be so well attuned to human vocal commands.

"We know very well that dogs are very good at tuning into the feelings of their owners, and we know a good dog owner can detect emotional changes in his dog - but we now begin to understand why this can be," said lead author Attila Andics.

The study also revealed that dogs respond the strongest to hearing the sounds of other dogs but have a harder time distinguishing between vocal and environmental sounds than humans do.

Source: BBC News | Comments (10)

Tags: Brain, Dog

Comment icon #1 Posted by Sir Smoke aLot on 22 February, 2014, 15:06
woow... How long did it take for researchers to find out this world changing things... i wonder, that way its easier to calculate the level of their retardation
Comment icon #2 Posted by Lilly on 22 February, 2014, 15:44
Dogs *speak* human far better than humans *speak* dog. Many of us have known this for a very long time.
Comment icon #3 Posted by SkeptcByMindBelievrByHeart on 22 February, 2014, 15:54
Comment icon #4 Posted by redhen on 22 February, 2014, 16:15
"Lead author Attila Andics, from the Hungarian Academy of Science's Eotvos Lorand University in Budapest, said: "We think dogs and humans have a very similar mechanism to process emotional information."" Ya think? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Expression_of_the_Emotions_in_Man_and_Animals
Comment icon #5 Posted by GreenmansGod on 22 February, 2014, 17:29
Cats understand us, too, but they just don't give a damn.
Comment icon #6 Posted by Calibeliever on 22 February, 2014, 20:02
Makes you wonder what these geniuses expected to find.
Comment icon #7 Posted by highdesert50 on 23 February, 2014, 3:38
MRI? Really? It's all in the tail.
Comment icon #8 Posted by regeneratia on 23 February, 2014, 3:47
I think my dog knows what I am thinking, what I am deciding before I indicate what it is that I am going to do. I can think about going outside and suddenly, there he is, ready to head out with me, even before I move.
Comment icon #9 Posted by Lilly on 23 February, 2014, 14:13
"I do not like the cone of shame" "I was hiding under your porch, because I love you" "Be my prisoner oh please oh please be my prisoner" Ya just gotta love "Up"!
Comment icon #10 Posted by MJNYC on 24 February, 2014, 15:32
It's so hysterical to see these studies. Do dogs understand, do dogs and cats love, do animals have souls yadda yadda yadda. It's absurd. Any pet guardian can tell you that animals have souls, that they love, that they respond and that they are sentient. As we all know and as someone else stated, they speak our language we don't speak theirs.

NASA's ion thruster breaks propulsion records
10-21-2017
The prototype thruster could one day propel the first Mars astronauts all the way to the Red Planet.
Fear of snakes 'is of evolutionary origin'
10-21-2017
A new study in Germany has suggested that we are born with an innate fear of snakes and spiders.
9.7 million-year-old hominin teeth discovered
10-20-2017
The surprising find has the potential to completely rewrite everything we know of early human history.
Flying insect numbers drop by 75% in 27 years
10-20-2017
A new study has highlighted a huge reduction in the number of flying insects in Germany's nature reserves.
One hundred million crabs
Posted 10-21-2017 | 2 comments
Christmas Island red crabs migrate in extreme numbers in this vintage BBC clip.

Recreating your face from DNA
Posted 10-18-2017 | 0 comments
Is it possible to determine someone's appearance from a sample of their DNA ?

Schlieren imaging in color
Posted 10-16-2017 | 2 comments
A look at Schlieren imaging - a technique that can help to visualize tiny differences in air.

Glowing creatures of the deep
Posted 10-15-2017 | 0 comments
This vintage clip sees Sir David Attenborough descending in to the dark depths of the sea.

Slow motion pellet split
Posted 10-14-2017 | 0 comments
The Slo Mo Guys attempt to split an air gun pellet with a knife to pop two balloons.

Sleep paralysis or real encounter?
10-18-2017 | United Kingdom

Ghost playing with a balloon?
10-18-2017 | Australia

Impossible phone call
10-18-2017 | West Virginia

Seeing cats
10-18-2017 | Santa Rosa

Fourth of July UFO show
10-18-2017 | Hillsboro ND

Guardian angel ?
9-13-2017 | Middle of nowhere Iowa

I'm not normal, but I'm not alone
9-13-2017 | South Africa

When I was very little
9-13-2017 | Sturgis So.Dakota

Weird light orbs and chills
9-13-2017 | Poland