Wednesday, December 13, 2017

Brain scans reveal dogs' vocal responses

Posted on Saturday, 22 February, 2014 | Comment icon 10 comments

Dogs are able to pick up on human vocal commands. Image Credit: CC BY-SA 2.5 Rainer Spickmann
A new study has shown that a dog's brain reacts to voices in much the same way as the brain of a human.
Researchers conducted the study by analyzing the brains of several dogs using an MRI scanner. Despite the species gap, a dog appears to perceive voices or emotionally charged sounds such as laughter in much the same way as our own brains do, suggesting a reason why our canine companions seem to be so well attuned to human vocal commands.

"We know very well that dogs are very good at tuning into the feelings of their owners, and we know a good dog owner can detect emotional changes in his dog - but we now begin to understand why this can be," said lead author Attila Andics.

The study also revealed that dogs respond the strongest to hearing the sounds of other dogs but have a harder time distinguishing between vocal and environmental sounds than humans do.

Source: BBC News | Comments (10)

Tags: Brain, Dog

Comment icon #1 Posted by Sir Smoke aLot on 22 February, 2014, 15:06
woow... How long did it take for researchers to find out this world changing things... i wonder, that way its easier to calculate the level of their retardation
Comment icon #2 Posted by Lilly on 22 February, 2014, 15:44
Dogs *speak* human far better than humans *speak* dog. Many of us have known this for a very long time.
Comment icon #3 Posted by SkeptcByMindBelievrByHeart on 22 February, 2014, 15:54
Comment icon #4 Posted by redhen on 22 February, 2014, 16:15
"Lead author Attila Andics, from the Hungarian Academy of Science's Eotvos Lorand University in Budapest, said: "We think dogs and humans have a very similar mechanism to process emotional information."" Ya think? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Expression_of_the_Emotions_in_Man_and_Animals
Comment icon #5 Posted by GreenmansGod on 22 February, 2014, 17:29
Cats understand us, too, but they just don't give a damn.
Comment icon #6 Posted by Calibeliever on 22 February, 2014, 20:02
Makes you wonder what these geniuses expected to find.
Comment icon #7 Posted by highdesert50 on 23 February, 2014, 3:38
MRI? Really? It's all in the tail.
Comment icon #8 Posted by regeneratia on 23 February, 2014, 3:47
I think my dog knows what I am thinking, what I am deciding before I indicate what it is that I am going to do. I can think about going outside and suddenly, there he is, ready to head out with me, even before I move.
Comment icon #9 Posted by Lilly on 23 February, 2014, 14:13
"I do not like the cone of shame" "I was hiding under your porch, because I love you" "Be my prisoner oh please oh please be my prisoner" Ya just gotta love "Up"!
Comment icon #10 Posted by MJNYC on 24 February, 2014, 15:32
It's so hysterical to see these studies. Do dogs understand, do dogs and cats love, do animals have souls yadda yadda yadda. It's absurd. Any pet guardian can tell you that animals have souls, that they love, that they respond and that they are sentient. As we all know and as someone else stated, they speak our language we don't speak theirs.

Extraterrestrial Life & The UFO Phenomenon
  Project Hessdalen
  Redefining the term 'UFO'
  The Phenomena is Confirmed
 Ancient Mysteries & Alternative History
  Update on Scan Pyramid project Oct 2016
  Dyatlov Pass
  The Moses Puzzle
Man-sized penguin fossil found in New Zealand
12-12-2017
The remains of an enormous prehistoric penguin have been found on a beach to the south of Christchurch.
Frozen lake sounds like a Star Wars battle
12-12-2017
This amazing footage of Gun Lake in Canada reveals the cacophony of strange sounds made by the ice.
Mystery object to be checked for ET signals
12-12-2017
An asteroid thought to have come from another solar system is to be checked for signs of alien technology.
Diver narrowly avoids huge great white shark
12-11-2017
New footage has emerged of a diver's extremely close encounter with the jaws of a monster shark.
Is happiness contagious ?
Posted 12-12-2017 | 0 comments
Is it possible to become happy by hanging out with other people who are happy ?

Megalodon - the largest shark in history
Posted 12-11-2017 | 0 comments
A look at Megalodon - a truly monstrous creature that once roamed Eath's oceans.

Pizza night - in space
Posted 12-8-2017 | 0 comments
ISS astronauts try their hand at putting together pizzas high up in orbit around the Earth.

Pelican invasion
Posted 12-7-2017 | 0 comments
This curious pelican decided to invade the director's tent during a BBC film shoot.

113 pancakes in 8 minutes
Posted 12-5-2017 | 0 comments
Record-breaking speed-eater Matt Stonie scoffs an incredible 113 silver dollar pancakes.

Mysterious Headlights
12-10-2017 | Morgan County, Alabama

Possibly a child ghost
12-10-2017 | Edgewater, Maryland

True story about black-eyed kids
12-10-2017 | Portland oregon

Alien or paranormal encounter ?
12-10-2017 | United States

Ouija board experience
12-10-2017 | Ohio

Strange occurrences
11-15-2017 | Fife

Mysterious music box song
11-15-2017 | U.S.A

Haunted military house
10-23-2017 | New Zealand

Sleep paralysis or real encounter?
10-18-2017 | United Kingdom