Friday, July 29, 2016

Brain scans reveal dogs' vocal responses

Posted on Saturday, 22 February, 2014 | Comment icon 10 comments

Dogs are able to pick up on human vocal commands. Image Credit: CC BY-SA 2.5 Rainer Spickmann
A new study has shown that a dog's brain reacts to voices in much the same way as the brain of a human.
Researchers conducted the study by analyzing the brains of several dogs using an MRI scanner. Despite the species gap, a dog appears to perceive voices or emotionally charged sounds such as laughter in much the same way as our own brains do, suggesting a reason why our canine companions seem to be so well attuned to human vocal commands.

"We know very well that dogs are very good at tuning into the feelings of their owners, and we know a good dog owner can detect emotional changes in his dog - but we now begin to understand why this can be," said lead author Attila Andics.

The study also revealed that dogs respond the strongest to hearing the sounds of other dogs but have a harder time distinguishing between vocal and environmental sounds than humans do.

Source: BBC News | Comments (10)

Tags: Brain, Dog

Comment icon #1 Posted by Sir Smoke aLot on 22 February, 2014, 15:06
woow... How long did it take for researchers to find out this world changing things... i wonder, that way its easier to calculate the level of their retardation
Comment icon #2 Posted by Lilly on 22 February, 2014, 15:44
Dogs *speak* human far better than humans *speak* dog. Many of us have known this for a very long time.
Comment icon #3 Posted by SkeptcByMindBelievrByHeart on 22 February, 2014, 15:54
Comment icon #4 Posted by redhen on 22 February, 2014, 16:15
"Lead author Attila Andics, from the Hungarian Academy of Science's Eotvos Lorand University in Budapest, said: "We think dogs and humans have a very similar mechanism to process emotional information."" Ya think? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Expression_of_the_Emotions_in_Man_and_Animals
Comment icon #5 Posted by GreenmansGod on 22 February, 2014, 17:29
Cats understand us, too, but they just don't give a damn.
Comment icon #6 Posted by Calibeliever on 22 February, 2014, 20:02
Makes you wonder what these geniuses expected to find.
Comment icon #7 Posted by highdesert50 on 23 February, 2014, 3:38
MRI? Really? It's all in the tail.
Comment icon #8 Posted by regeneratia on 23 February, 2014, 3:47
I think my dog knows what I am thinking, what I am deciding before I indicate what it is that I am going to do. I can think about going outside and suddenly, there he is, ready to head out with me, even before I move.
Comment icon #9 Posted by Lilly on 23 February, 2014, 14:13
"I do not like the cone of shame" "I was hiding under your porch, because I love you" "Be my prisoner oh please oh please be my prisoner" Ya just gotta love "Up"!
Comment icon #10 Posted by MJNYC on 24 February, 2014, 15:32
It's so hysterical to see these studies. Do dogs understand, do dogs and cats love, do animals have souls yadda yadda yadda. It's absurd. Any pet guardian can tell you that animals have souls, that they love, that they respond and that they are sentient. As we all know and as someone else stated, they speak our language we don't speak theirs.

Apollo astronauts at risk of heart problems
7-29-2016
The astronauts who walked on the moon are up to five times more likely to die of cardiovascular disease.
Man has spent 25 years searching for Nessie
7-28-2016
It has now been 25 years since Steve Feltham dedicated his life to hunting down the Loch Ness Monster.
Mysterious purple sphere found on sea floor
7-28-2016
A remote-operated deep-sea exploration vehicle has discovered a peculiar purple orb underneath a rock.
Philae mission officially comes to a close
7-27-2016
After a year without communication, scientists have finally said goodbye to Philae for the last time.
Can you crash something in to the sun ?
Posted 7-29-2016 | 0 comments
A look at the difficulties involved in sending a spacecraft to collide with the sun.

What if Lego figures were real ?
Posted 7-28-2016 | 4 comments
A bizarre look at a creepy Lego-inspired mask that turns you in to a life-sized Lego minifigure.

Following the Oregon Trail
Posted 7-27-2016 | 1 comment
A look back at Narcissa Whitman - the first woman to complete the Oregon Trail.

Walking over light bulbs
Posted 7-26-2016 | 2 comments
This skilled Chinese woman succeeds in walking across light bulbs for 20 meters.

Are great leaders born or made ?
Posted 7-25-2016 | 7 comments
What does it take to be a great leader and how does one go about accomplishing that ?

Light in Orion
7-23-2016 | Tampa, Florida

Girl with the broken neck
7-23-2016 | Mississippi

Holes in cotton clothing
7-23-2016 | Somerset, UK

Three knocks in the night
6-28-2016 | Cedar City, Utah