Tuesday, August 22, 2017

Brain scans reveal dogs' vocal responses

Posted on Saturday, 22 February, 2014 | Comment icon 10 comments

Dogs are able to pick up on human vocal commands. Image Credit: CC BY-SA 2.5 Rainer Spickmann
A new study has shown that a dog's brain reacts to voices in much the same way as the brain of a human.
Researchers conducted the study by analyzing the brains of several dogs using an MRI scanner. Despite the species gap, a dog appears to perceive voices or emotionally charged sounds such as laughter in much the same way as our own brains do, suggesting a reason why our canine companions seem to be so well attuned to human vocal commands.

"We know very well that dogs are very good at tuning into the feelings of their owners, and we know a good dog owner can detect emotional changes in his dog - but we now begin to understand why this can be," said lead author Attila Andics.

The study also revealed that dogs respond the strongest to hearing the sounds of other dogs but have a harder time distinguishing between vocal and environmental sounds than humans do.

Source: BBC News | Comments (10)

Tags: Brain, Dog

Comment icon #1 Posted by Sir Smoke aLot on 22 February, 2014, 15:06
woow... How long did it take for researchers to find out this world changing things... i wonder, that way its easier to calculate the level of their retardation
Comment icon #2 Posted by Lilly on 22 February, 2014, 15:44
Dogs *speak* human far better than humans *speak* dog. Many of us have known this for a very long time.
Comment icon #3 Posted by SkeptcByMindBelievrByHeart on 22 February, 2014, 15:54
Comment icon #4 Posted by redhen on 22 February, 2014, 16:15
"Lead author Attila Andics, from the Hungarian Academy of Science's Eotvos Lorand University in Budapest, said: "We think dogs and humans have a very similar mechanism to process emotional information."" Ya think? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Expression_of_the_Emotions_in_Man_and_Animals
Comment icon #5 Posted by GreenmansGod on 22 February, 2014, 17:29
Cats understand us, too, but they just don't give a damn.
Comment icon #6 Posted by Calibeliever on 22 February, 2014, 20:02
Makes you wonder what these geniuses expected to find.
Comment icon #7 Posted by highdesert50 on 23 February, 2014, 3:38
MRI? Really? It's all in the tail.
Comment icon #8 Posted by regeneratia on 23 February, 2014, 3:47
I think my dog knows what I am thinking, what I am deciding before I indicate what it is that I am going to do. I can think about going outside and suddenly, there he is, ready to head out with me, even before I move.
Comment icon #9 Posted by Lilly on 23 February, 2014, 14:13
"I do not like the cone of shame" "I was hiding under your porch, because I love you" "Be my prisoner oh please oh please be my prisoner" Ya just gotta love "Up"!
Comment icon #10 Posted by MJNYC on 24 February, 2014, 15:32
It's so hysterical to see these studies. Do dogs understand, do dogs and cats love, do animals have souls yadda yadda yadda. It's absurd. Any pet guardian can tell you that animals have souls, that they love, that they respond and that they are sentient. As we all know and as someone else stated, they speak our language we don't speak theirs.

5971989

'Orange UFO' sighted over Somerset, England
8-22-2017
The peculiar aerial phenomenon was captured on camera by Jeremy Le Fevre on Saturday evening.
Plasma heating method offers fusion boost
8-22-2017
Scientists have developed a new way of heating fusion plasmas inside tokamak nuclear fusion reactors.
What did the eclipse look like from space ?
8-22-2017
NASA and other agencies have been posting up photographs and videos of yesterday's total solar eclipse.
Mystery microbe may be key to origin of viruses
8-21-2017
The microorganism was discovered in the lakes of the Rauer Islands off the coast of Antarctica.
Mass robot dance
Posted 8-22-2017 | 1 comment
More than 1,000 programmable Dobi robots bopped in sync during this world record attempt.

How to watch the eclipse
Posted 8-21-2017 | 8 comments
Staring at the Sun is dangerous. Here's how to watch the eclipse without damaging your eyes.

The napkin ring problem
Posted 8-20-2017 | 0 comments
Why is it that any two 'napkin rings' cut from any sizes of spherical object will have equal volume ?

Why don't we use our parent's names?
Posted 8-19-2017 | 2 comments
Why do we call our parents mom and dad instead of using their actual names ?

Adam Savage meets an alien
Posted 8-18-2017 | 2 comments
The former MythBuster checks out the animatronic alien from the movie Alien Covenant.

A night that I will never forget
8-18-2017 | Massena, NY

Shapeshifter
8-18-2017 | Cranbrook British Columbia

Ghost experiences ?
8-11-2017 | United States

My real, true experiences
7-26-2017 | New Zealand

Incoming call
7-26-2017 | B.T. Collins Park: Folsom, CA

Three knocks woke me up twice
7-26-2017 | Virginia