Wednesday, September 20, 2017

'Extinct' deer turns up alive in Vietnam

Posted on Sunday, 9 March, 2014 | Comment icon 16 comments

The deer were believed to have been extinct since 1929. Image Credit: CC BY-SA 2.5 Diliff
Researchers have rediscovered a species of deer thought to have disappeared over 85 years ago.
Scientists studying deer populations at the Xuan Lien Nature Reserve in Vietnam's Thanh Hoa province were ecstatic when they managed to snap a photograph showing a pair of Roosevelt's Muntjacs, a species of deer believed to have been extinct for decades.

The images have been backed up by DNA evidence retrieved from droppings discovered at the site.

The critically endangered deer got its name when a specimen was handed in to Chicago's Field Museum of Natural History by Theodore and Kermit Roosevelt in 1929.

Source: Thanh Nien News | Comments (16)

Tags: Deer, Extinct, Vietnam

Comment icon #7 Posted by coldethyl on 14 March, 2014, 0:17
Well some good news finally and nothing on the verge of extinction.
Comment icon #8 Posted by 6.6.6 on 14 March, 2014, 11:56
There are reported cases of apparently extinct animals reappearing quite often! And in many cases in substantial numbers! Either they are not technically extinct and a small number must survive, or there are greater forces at work
Comment icon #9 Posted by 6.6.6 on 14 March, 2014, 12:01
Comment icon #10 Posted by coldethyl on 14 March, 2014, 19:38
https://www.google.c...7k9YqDq-EhpA6vA Interesting link, ty!
Comment icon #11 Posted by thewild on 15 March, 2014, 0:58
I cannot see anything in this pic. Where is it?
Comment icon #12 Posted by David-C on 15 March, 2014, 1:21
I cannot see anything in this pic. Where is it? I'm really glad to see that....I thought maybe it was just me.
Comment icon #13 Posted by I_Am_Avatar_Korra on 15 March, 2014, 1:21
That's pretty cool! Hopefully they can be protected and not driven into extinction.
Comment icon #14 Posted by Rogue Suga on 15 March, 2014, 3:19
Beautiful story
Comment icon #15 Posted by coldethyl on 15 March, 2014, 17:07
I don't think that's a picture of the deer as I can't see them either. I think it's just where (or general area) of where they were found.
Comment icon #16 Posted by Hawkin on 20 March, 2014, 3:44
Didn't science say the Coelacanth was once extinct also? hmm

Porpoise unearthed in medieval graveyard
9-20-2017
A recent archaeological dig near Guernsey has yielded something rather unexpected - a porpoise skeleton.
Mystery surrounds flushed money in Geneva
9-19-2017
An unknown individual has been flushing thousands of euros down the toilet and nobody knows why.
'Octopus city' found off coast of Australia
9-19-2017
Members of the gloomy octopus species have created their own underwater settlement dubbed 'Octlantis'.
60 ancient shipwrecks found in the Black Sea
9-19-2017
Marine archaeologists unexpectedly stumbled across a goldmine of shipwrecks during a recent expedition.
Extreme neodymium magnet
Posted 9-20-2017 | 0 comments
Unboxing a magnet so powerful that it can suspend huge weights off the underside of a table.

Derren Brown and new age crystals
Posted 9-19-2017 | 0 comments
The psychological illusionist is joined by actor Martin Freeman for this remarkable trick.

I'll eat my hat
Posted 9-18-2017 | 0 comments
Where did the strange phrase 'I'll eat my hat' actually come from ?

Meet the microscopic life in your home
Posted 9-17-2017 | 0 comments
Think your home is free of meddlesome microscopic life forms ? Think again.

Are rats friends or foes ?
Posted 9-16-2017 | 3 comments
Rats are certainly not humanity's favorite animals, but just how bad are they really ?

Guardian angel ?
9-13-2017 | Middle of nowhere Iowa

I'm not normal, but I'm not alone
9-13-2017 | South Africa

When I was very little
9-13-2017 | Sturgis So.Dakota

Weird light orbs and chills
9-13-2017 | Poland

Unexplained light flashes
8-30-2017 | Louisiana

A night that I will never forget
8-18-2017 | Massena, NY